Politics: Time To Move?!?

Thunderbroom

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think every kid 18 and under should get free health care. Period. At whatever cost to whomever. This would leave contracts free of this type of coverage problem and relieve the US auto industry and most corpaorations and individuals. Do the cipherin'......if you spread a cost among a larger group the price is always less.

• Members

No, you go to the emergency room OR work on improving your lot in life such that you can get a job with health benefits.

I have to say Tbroom, that sounds like a pat answer coming from someone that obviously doesn't have to worry about waiting hours in an emergency room to get their child stitched up or having to 'improve their lot in life'.

Beatcatcher is right. Healthcare cost in the USA has gone way beyond what can be expected as even close to reasonable.

And the reality is, not eveyone CAN improve their lot in life. I'm not talking about kids in the urban getto... Say, someone that is 50'ish years old, gets laid off and can't find a decent job that has insurance anymore because he/she is too old (but not old enough for medicare, etc.). Or a farmer trying to keep his farm. Musicians.

And if you don't think it's too expensive then consider this (remember, I'm in Central America):

To begin, drugs/medicines here are about 1/3 the cost of the US (if that).

A friend of mine had acute appendecitis. She was taken by ambulance to Guatemala City, about 4 hours away. Was operated on in the hospital (2 surgeons, anethesologist, nurses, etc.) and stayed in the hospital for 3 days. Her total bill? $1800.

I lost a filling from a previous root canal. It was fixed by a Honduran dentist that was trained in the states but left due to the high cost of doing business there. Cost for a new filling (and cleaning)? $18. A friend had some dental work here in Guatemala that didn't entirely fix the problem. She was then rescheduled for oral surgery. Since the original treatment didn't solve the problem, the Dentist *credited* the cost of the original visit to the oral surgery (think that would happen in the states?). Total cost? $53.

And this isn't working on you with hand tools in a back room. I would still compare facilities/skills here to pretty much anywhere in the US.

Now why is it that healthcare in Central America is as good but so much less expensive than in the US? 1st, cost of malpractice insurance due to a litigious society and the big business mentality (i.e. greed) of the medical supply/pharmacutical industry.

• Members

SPRINGFIELD -- Illinois would see the largest tax increase in its history under Gov. Rod Blagojevich's plan to provide health care for the uninsured and ramp up state support for education.

He's on the radio right now (890AM in Chicago). This guy is clueless. He's proposing to raise corporate taxes by more than $7B. While it may play well with his constituents I've got a message for you Governor: Hey dumbass...corporations don't pay taxes!!!!

:mad:

The White Flag Party, heretofore known as the Dems took full control of Maryland's government and they're doing the same things.

Hang on to your wallets.

Archived