Who uses one of those newfangled mini-recorders

fretless

• Members

I've got the Zoom and give it two thumbs up. It would be great if it weren't in a plastic house, but what isn't in a plastic housing these days?

We record some band rehearsals with it to hear what we really sound like and not what we think we sound like. It's absolutely worth the price.

• Members

I've got the Zoom and give it two thumbs up. It would be great if it weren't in a plastic house, but what isn't in a plastic housing these days?

We record some band rehearsals with it to hear what we really sound like and not what we think we sound like. It's absolutely worth the price.

Cool , can you post a clip ? I would love to hear it ;)

• Members

I know there are a lot of pretty cool digital recorders on the market today and at a decent price too. MF has an 8 track set up, IIRC, with speakers, mic, lots of stuff for right at $500. Makes you wonder why more people aren't cutting their own CD's. One day I'd love to have a "music room" with a set up to record stuff. :thu:

• Members

I know there are a lot of pretty cool digital recorders on the market today and at a decent price too. MF has an 8 track set up, IIRC, with speakers, mic, lots of stuff for right at $500. Makes you wonder why more people aren't cutting their own CD's. One day I'd love to have a "music room" with a set up to record stuff.
:thu:

I have a full blown Cubase studio , and one thing for sure , gear does not = skill :mad::p:D um or talent , but I was considering a tiny portable room recorder , such as the Zoom , for quick practice recordings etc.

• Members

Would you be able to use two mics so you'd get a stereo effect or would it just be mono? Also, would this be during practice or during a show, if it's during a show I'd wonder about room noise. Still, sounds like a cool idea to really see how tight you're playing. :thu:

• Members

Would you be able to use two mics so you'd get a stereo effect or would it just be mono? Also, would this be during practice or during a show, if it's during a show I'd wonder about room noise. Still, sounds like a cool idea to really see how tight you're playing.

The Zoom has two mics (cross pointed at the top of the pic) and I believe you can use externals if you want to. Tbroom, correct me if I'm wrong (which I never am).

• Members

oooh i want one!

btw, is that your band? i like the song
:):cool:

It is a cover of Stevie Ray Vaughan.

btw, this was the first recording I made with it, straight from the box, during a sound check. I've later had better recordings by experimenting a litle with the placement of the unit. I think is f. good. :D

• Members

Would you be able to use two mics so you'd get a stereo effect or would it just be mono? Also, would this be during practice or during a show, if it's during a show I'd wonder about room noise. Still, sounds like a cool idea to really see how tight you're playing.

Most mics are monophonic, and you do have to use two to get a stereo spread (panned left and right respectively for some instruments). That zoom uses a coincident pair technique where the heads are crossed at ninety degrees. It provides a very good, though not exceptionally wide, image. It's a technique often used to record pianos.

Room noise? Don't aim at the audience for one. The Samson site doesn't describe the polar pattern for the mics on the Zoom, though it does say that they're condensers, implying a cardioid pattern. You probably wouldn't get a ton of bleed...

Archived