Who writes this crap?

s4001

• Members

So, inspired by the Rush vs RRHOF thread, I meandered over to Rolling Stone to see what they had to say about Rush :

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/rush

A sampling: "Rush pumps out a more approachable brand of sci-fi fusionoid pomposity than, say, sophisticated prog-rock practitioners such as Pink Floyd or King Crimson. The vaguely populist bent suits this musicianly Canadian power trio, while hinting at its preconceptual roots as dull, perennially second-billed metal plotzers."

Good grief. Where's Rage Bass when you need two thoughts cohesively strung together? Yeesh. As 'rebelious' as rock is, the media is still populated by pretentious spouting snobs.

• Members

So, inspired by the Rush vs RRHOF thread, I meandered over to Rolling Stone to see what they had to say about Rush :

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/rush

A sampling: "Rush pumps out a more approachable brand of sci-fi fusionoid pomposity than, say, sophisticated prog-rock practitioners such as Pink Floyd or King Crimson. The vaguely populist bent suits this musicianly Canadian power trio, while hinting at its preconceptual roots as dull, perennially second-billed metal plotzers."

Good grief. Where's Rage Bass when you need two thoughts cohesively strung together? Yeesh. As 'rebelious' as rock is, the media is still populated by pretentious spouting snobs.

+1 :thu:

Absolutely couldn't agree more, s4001!! :rolleyes:

Buncha' hogwash from alien morons!! :blah:

They wouldn't know good music if Geddys' Fender Jazz bass fell on 'em!! :freak:

RUSH FREAKIN' :rawk: s!! PERIOD! :badump:

:wave:

• Members

I refuse to even consider reading anything from Rolling Stone. I mean, not too long ago, I read an article on their website about Neil Young's most recent tour and how people walked out because they were offended by his protest songs, and they couldn't even get their guitars straight; they said that his main guitar that he's had for thirty years was a Telecaster, not the Les Paul that he's played on almost every single album and concert film since 1970. It seems to me like a magazine about music could at least get its facts correct. :rolleyes:

But then again, I nitpick. :)

• Members

I refuse to even consider reading anything from Rolling Stone. I mean, not too long ago, I read an article on their website about Neil Young's most recent tour and how people walked out because they were offended by his protest songs, and they couldn't even get their guitars straight; they said that his main guitar that he's had for thirty years was a Telecaster, not the Les Paul that he's played on almost every single album and concert film since 1970. It seems to me like a magazine about music could at least get its facts correct.
:rolleyes:

But then again, I nitpick.
:)

Wow, who'd'a thunk, Neil Young doing protest songs? There's a real shocker. What the hell did people think they were going to get? He's been singing protest songs since the 60s. This sounds completely fabricated, as if the reviewer was some shill for Fox News.

• CMS Author

"Rush pumps out a more approachable brand of sci-fi fusionoid pomposity than, say, sophisticated prog-rock practitioners such as Pink Floyd or King Crimson. The vaguely populist bent suits this musicianly Canadian power trio, while hinting at its preconceptual roots as dull, perennially second-billed metal plotzers."

Someone got their new "Word a Day" calendar.

• Members
Those who can't do....review.

+ another one! Rolling stone can show you how to pose like a musician,dress like a musician, deals with the image, not the music!! How many tabs you ever seen in a Rolling Stones article? How many compressor settings? The guys writing these articles would think the term "knee" in relationship to a compressor would mean the same things they rested on while they did the research for the article.Frustrated food critics should move on to something else besides music. Read article and substitute food terms for the musical terms. You'll get more out of it!!

• Members

"Rush pumps out a more approachable brand of sci-fi fusionoid pomposity than, say, sophisticated prog-rock practitioners such as Pink Floyd or King Crimson. The vaguely populist bent suits this musicianly Canadian power trio, while hinting at its preconceptual roots as dull, perennially second-billed metal plotzers."

I popularize technical scientific documents for a living... It's my job to understand complex texts... this just doesn't make any sense nor mean anything...

• Members

When I bought my Artcore, I got ten free issues of Rolling Stone. It's probably one of the worst magazines I've ever read.

It's sad, I grew up on RS, but at some point, they went the way of MTV, so they left their reader base behind and targeted the MTV audience. Problem is that most of those people watch these crappy shows because they don't read! So they filled the mag with pics and ads and less words. Hmmmm...

• Members

The reviews are pure BS. I consistantly disagree with Pete Travers, the film critic guy. It seems like he just doesn't understand movies.

They also have a tendency to felate bands that are mediocre to bad. I mean, c'mon. The strokes would be interesting... If they could make a new album (All their stuff is just rehashing the first one).

I dunno, sometimes the articles can be interesting. The investigative reporting they do is incredibly biased to the left, but some of the stories are fascinating. It's a cool magazine to read for film documentary ideas.

• Members

I popularize technical scientific documents for a living... It's my job to understand complex texts... this just doesn't make any sense nor mean anything...

I was thinking the same thing...

I read a lot of jargon-filled nonsense devoid of any real substance or meaning (occasionally, I actually write some), and I can say with confidence that that passage is indeed jargon-filled nonsense devoid of any real substance or meaning :D

• Members

What an idiot. Even if you don't like Rush you have to know this guy is full of {censored}. The last time Rush didn't headline was before I was born, and the last time they didn't sell out an American show was probably farther back than that. They've gone on a couple dozen world tours, gone platinum a few times over, all of their albums have gone gold, and they still write relevant music. They haven't broken up and done a reunion tour, and they haven't ever done a "farewell" tour and then come back. No drug overdoses, no scandals, no deportations.

{censored} Rolling Stone anyways, but this particular writer really thinks people think he's sharp with his erudite little vocabulary. I'll punch him in the Adam's Apple.:mad:

C7

• Members

What an idiot. Even if you don't like Rush you have to know this guy is full of {censored}. The last time Rush
didn't
headline was before I was born, and the last time they didn't sell out an American show was probably farther back than that. They've gone on a couple dozen world tours, gone platinum a few times over, all of their albums have gone gold, and they still write relevant music. They haven't broken up and done a reunion tour, and they haven't ever done a "farewell" tour and then come back. No drug overdoses, no scandals, no deportations.

{censored} Rolling Stone anyways, but this particular writer really thinks people think he's sharp with his erudite little vocabulary. I'll punch him in the Adam's Apple.
:mad:
C7

:thu:

:D

• Members

What an idiot. Even if you don't like Rush you have to know this guy is full of {censored}. The last time Rush
didn't
headline was before I was born, and the last time they didn't sell out an American show was probably farther back than that. They've gone on a couple dozen world tours, gone platinum a few times over, all of their albums have gone gold, and they still write relevant music. They haven't broken up and done a reunion tour, and they haven't ever done a "farewell" tour and then come back. No drug overdoses, no scandals, no deportations.

{censored} Rolling Stone anyways, but this particular writer really thinks people think he's sharp with his erudite little vocabulary. I'll punch him in the Adam's Apple.
C7

Now that is what I call a spot-on review.

• Members

didn't

C7

+1 A...GANE!! :thu:

Couldn't of said it better myself, Crescent!! ;)

Well Done!! :rawk:

:D

Archived