Metallica and Rick Rubin

B-Bottom

• Members

Here's something interesting I lifted from another message board about the bands next album

Metallica began laying down its ninth studio album last week in Los Angeles with producer Rick Rubin, the first time that the band has recorded outside the San Francisco area in 16 years.

The group plans to work in the studio until early June, take a break for a month-long European tour, then finish recording in August. The disc will be released in either late 2007 or early 2008.

===

..."Twenty minutes before stage time, we would go into a room and play, to get the machinery moving. They were jams, riffs, fun and games. And they were recorded. That's where ninety-five percent of this record came from, "

The new album, as yet untitled and awaiting Hetfield's finished lyrics, is Metallica's first with Trujillo, who joined after the completion of St. Anger. Rubin says he wants to make the group sound "like the Metallica that made them Metallica without going backward"- and that he's doing it by challenging old habits.

"He's questioning what key we should play in," Ulrich says. "We've played in E flat since the beginning of the 90's. Nobody questioned it. All of a sudden, Rick is going, "Maybe the stuff has more energy and hetfield's voice sounds better in E. He's forced us to rethink big-picture stuff, something we havent done in years."

Rubin also insisted that Metallica rehearse and learn the material until, as Ulrich puts it, "we can play these songs in our sleep, standing on our heads. "With Bob, we'd go into the studio when we had some concrete ideas. But Rick wants us to take care of all the creative elements first. He wants us to capture these songs in a recording environment instead of creating them there."

===

...Unlike the troubled, turbulent sessions for the band's last album, 2003's St. Anger, Ulrich told us that pre-production for the new effort has had a whole different vibe: "It's frighteningly tame (laughs). The four of us show up and we hang out and we have a great time, and there are no psychiatrists in sweaters, there are no film crews, it's very much like it used to be. It's pretty mellow around here. All that St. Anger stuff seems like a movie (laughs)."

===

...The last couple days have been devoted to each band member working out the right sounds, including Lars [ulrich, drums] who remembered to turn on the snare and Kirk [Hammett, guitar] who played a solo!

I'm glad to see they are going to start tuning back up.

• Members

E would be nice, that would mean I wouldn't have to dick with my tuning to play along. I think the Black Album was in E, wasn't it? I can play along with it without messing with anything and I tune in E, which I guess is pretty much "standard" isn't it?

• Members

'The new album is gonna rock, it's gonna be awsome, bla-de-blah'

They were saying that before St Anger.

No way man... this one is made up of pre-concert noodling!

Pre-concert noodling + lyrics +Rick Rubin = Teh win!!!

:thu:

• Members

I didn't really dig a single track on the black album. I'm not really into alternative though. I thought that Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets were decent, but were totally overshadowed by dozens of albums that were put out by more talented thrash bands at the time.

• Members

It is Ridiculous that a band would consider changing key "big picture stuff," and {censored} those guys for condemning file-sharing. That is all.

Ridiculous? Why, because their last album was so popular that it gets non-stop airplay and the adoration of every fan in the world?

I think a big-picture change is exactly what Metallica needs if they want to stay viable.

And file-sharing really is illegal copyright infringement, no matter how you justify it.:D

C7

• Members

Oh dear god. Not another one, ahhh!!! Make it stop!

And I'm even one of the blass-feemers who liked Reload (Load, not so much)... But the orchestral album, garage inc, st anger... no thanks.

• Members

i've liked songs off of every album they've done.. but St. Angwer had the least likables(2)("Some kind of monster" and "dirty window" i believe is what it's called) and the last full album I liked was "Ride the lightning..."

I'll buy this new one cause it's metallica and i've got all the others so i'm gonna get it too, hopefully it'll actually be good enough to leave in rotation for more than a week.

• Members

Ridiculous? Why, because their last album was so popular that it gets non-stop airplay and the adoration of every fan in the world?

I think a big-picture change is exactly what Metallica needs if they want to stay viable.

C7

+1.

Every major release has some sort of outside input, be it a producer or, in most cases, a whole production team consisting of at least 2 engineers, management team, producer(s), and whatever other support people.

• Members

Blah.

The heart and soul of that band is already gone.

The last album/movie/wtf ever was the biggest POS I've ever heard. I'd rather buy a used BSB album and put it on Repeat.

Metallica is becoming the new KISS- guys just don't know when to pack it in already.

Meanwhile, the Pantera fans of the world sit back and cry and say "Dear God, why couldn't it of been Jaymz or Larrz or Kirk instead!!" :cry:

• Members

St. Anger has many good tunes IMO. But, they were all to F'ing long!!!! I mean, come on, you don't need a 2 minute intro before actually starting the song. I hope Rubin is good at cutting the songs to decent length and see the need to NOT have a riff repeated 20 times before kicking into a song.

I find it interesting that they'll tune UP to E vs. tune down to D or C#.

I've always like Metallica--prolly always will. I hope the new CD is worth listening to.

• Members

And file-sharing really is illegal copyright infringement, no matter how you justify it.
:D
C7

Its no different than when we were kids and you copied a tape to give to your friends. Its the same thing, just being done on a larger scale. Sure, it may be illegal, but I think Metallica were hypocritical dicks to bring that to court. The reason why any band makes it big is because of word of mouth and fans passing around cds, tapes, mp3s. etc.

• Members

Its no different than when we were kids and you copied a tape to give to your friends. Its the same thing, just being done on a larger scale. Sure, it may be illegal, but I think Metallica were hypocritical dicks to bring that to court. The reason why any band makes it big is because of word of mouth and fans passing around cds, tapes, mp3s. etc.

Oh I know. It's not the act, it's the scale on which the act is perpetrated.

I've downloaded a gang of music, but I'm a thug, so it's aight, see?:D

Incidentally, my first Metallica tape was copied.:idea:

C7

Archived