glh056

• Members

Hi Everybody,

I'm glh056. I'm new to the forum but not to playing.I have an MIM jazz in red sunburst and an old memphis pbass from the 70s.I like them both.Sometimes I'll reach for the p other times the jazz.I have a few questions.I'm in the market for a new amp.I play classic rock from the 60s to 80s.I'm looking for something between 100 to 200 watts.I've been looking at a few amps:

Ashdown blue 180-15

Ashdown 307-15

Fender rumble 212/15

Fender bassman 150

Ampeg B115

I would like to know if those of you who modified your basses are/were unhappy with the results.Thank you and again Hello.

• Members

hey,

I've never used the amps you have listed, aside from the ampeg which sounded fine, but not my style. I did own a fender but it was all tube and a different animal completely. From what you've got listed it seems like you are looking for a deep, fat bottomed "traditional" sound. Check out Mesa Boogie too.

As for bass mods. I switched my modulus from EMG to bartolini and it was the best thing I ever did.

• Members

Welcome!

Of the amps you list I'd say go with the Ampeg. However, as Burdizzos said you should also check out Peavey and Yorkville. I'll add Genz Benz combos to the list too--while I'm not a big fan of their heads, the combos are fantastic.

As for modding basses, I've had mixed success depending on whether I ended up liking the pickups I put in. I am not really happy with the series/parallel mod I did on my Hamer Cruise bass w/DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups--in series it sounds too middy and the highs close up.

• Members

Welcome.:cool:

I've had two basses modded with new pickups and preamps, and in each case I ended up with a much better bass. The key idea I learned is to determine *exactly* what it is about your bass that you want to improve, and do a ton of research into replacement parts reviews and descriptions to find the best option to fix your weak area. In the end it's still a guess, but your odds of success are better the more you know beforehand.

• Members

Welcome! :wave:

I have replaced pickups, electronics, and have swapped necks and even built a bass from parts. Just a warning, it's addictive.

I would say that Peavey stuff is solid and you would be happy with them. Also, you could check out the Ampeg B100R and B200R...they are really good!

• Members

Rather than tell us what wattage range you think you want, tell us how you plan to use it, for example, practice? small worship or coffee house-type gigs? full on rock-type gigs? rehearsals?

100-200 watts won't go very far in a full on rock-type gig. Depending on the maturity level of the people your playing with, it might not cut it for rehearsals either.

100-200 watts will be just right for small gigs.

For full on rock-type gigs make sure your also pushing enough air. Start with at least one 15" driver. For smaller gigs, I'd go with a single 12" driver. Anything more is overkill.

An Ampeg B100R might fit you very well for the type of music your doing...as long as the people your playing with are mature enough. Peavey's TNT will take a beating and is very popular for your situation.

I went with a MarkBass Little Mark II head and a Bergantino 1x12 cab. It's giving me 300 watts right now. The headroom is fantastic. You could match that head up with an Aguilar 1x12 cab and have a killer little rig with a LOT of bang for buck.

Archived