Is The SX Frenzy Over ?

stereo

• Members

I installed an unlined fretless neck on my fenfer j a few weeks ago so I've been giving that all my attention at home and using it at every rehearsal just so I could accelerate the learning curve as much as possible....

On Monday I had a rehearsal for an important upcoming gig at which I new I'd be using my sx P so I decided to use it for that rehearsal...

Man - it was like falling in love all over again....that is just a sweet sweet little guitar...it's their $109 p, sunburst, r/w board that I put a set of 1/4 pounders and a gotoh 201 on....

I think that guitar must be the best value for dollar by far of any gear purchase I have ever made....

Yeah, I had mine gutted for about a month replacing the pots (it was my first time, so I took my time). Finally got it back together yesterday and plugged it in.

Man, I missed that bass.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm going back and forth between getting a nice used MIM Fender, or going for an SX. Been holding out for the great deal on a used Fender, available locally, one I can put my hands on first.

If I was confident the SX would not require an immediate upgrade, sound and quality equal to a decent MIM Fender, I'd order today.

But since theres no immediate hurry, no calls/opprotunities for an elec bass player that I'm interested in right now, I havn't made a move. (looking for an Americana type band, and I'd play bass if thats what was needed).

Just bideing the time jammin on elec guitar, banjo, and lap steel around the house, and giginging the occasional bluegrass job on my upright.

• Members

I've got half an SX, also - mine's a P body with an MIM neck, and Schaller pups - it's an international effort, hahaha!!!

- georgestrings

Sold it yesterday - a Squier VM Jazz is taking it's place in the very near future... I'll probably buy another SX sometime down the road, though...

- georgesrings

• Members

I have

1 SX Lake Placid Blue fretless Jazz(for sale)

1 SX Sunburst P/J (getting an un-lined fretless neck put on once I finish sanding and refinishing it and new pots/jack wired Vol/Blend/Tone)

1 SX Light Blue P (Upgraded with a SD 1/4 lb pup, new pots/jack, and a Bad Ass II Bridge, pics to come soon)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Well they keep making interesting stuff at disgustingly cheap prices. You can have a full closet full of classic styles of basses such as J, P, LP, JP, Hollow, Violin, shortcale, modern. As well as 4, 5, 6, and 8 string basses as well. For the price of a couple of name brand basses. Hell why get a standard fender for $420 when you can get a 70's style J, a P, a viloin style, and still have enough for rush shipping and a case.

• Members

they get quite a bit of business from me buying replacement bolt on necks necks thet are a lot less expensive than stewmac and matches or exceds quality.

I was wondering, have you tried to bolt one of thier necks, for instance the one with block inlay on to a MIM Fender? Does it work, or is modification required? I e-mailed them and they said thier neck "might" be a little to wide at the neck pocket for it to work. I would hate to go through the hassle of finding out the hard way. Thanks for any input.

• Members

You could fix it
:idk:

yeah new pups/bridge/tuners/neck/pots/re-solder input jack and it still wouldn't be better then my Schecter.. I just see it as a waste. I bought my SX cause my Schecter hadn't been shipped yet and my Ibby's input jack {censored}ed up and I don't know what the proper ways to solder anything is anyways.. i'd probably {censored} it up... so that to me = waste of money.

Archived