Bottled vs. Tap Water

Thunderbroom

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

CAn't see it at work, but if its the "bottles create waste, transporting them creates greenhouse gasses, etc" spiel, I agree. We use a sink filter @ home, but since I am in an outbuilding with no running water, I drink bottled water at work (5 gal bottles, not individual servings).

• Members

I heard someone talking about this on the radio the other day. Bottled and filtered = usually tastes better. From the tap = fluoridated. Kids who drink bottled water all the time experience more tooth decay because they aren't getting the fluoride they need, so this expert said.

• Members

Even the prodigious mind of Lug never realized this. Reminds me of the new claim that the Prius is worse on the environment than a HUMMER if you take into account the battery creation, shipping of said batteries from Canada to Japan, etc.

• Members

we've got a water cooler, where the bottles are reused. They show that at the very beginning of the video, but it seems to me like it can't be nearly as bad, and I doubt Culligan is importing the water from French mountains.

• Members

I have to admit, I prefer bottled water to the tap. Specifically because the water in my town is all clowdy and sometimes yellow. I will still drink tapped, but I do get bottled water whenever possible.

• Members

Even the prodigious mind of Lug never realized this. Reminds me of the new claim that the Prius is worse on the environment than a HUMMER if you take into account the battery creation, shipping of said batteries from Canada to Japan, etc.

I saw a AAA truck on the side of the road yesterday assisting a Prius. The driver had run out of gas. :D

We always have bottled water around the house. I'll take some along in my car every now and then, it's great to just be able to grab one and go. I'm also pretty fanatical about recycling. Sure, it's not great for the environment but there are a lot of other things that are much, much worse. I think that it's pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

• Members

We tried bottled water for a bit but decided to go with the tap filter instead. There are a lot of good minerals in tap water that add flavor and health benefits. Also, for kids, the fluoride is important.

Speaking of fluoride, is there any truth to the rumor that Nazi Germany was the first put fluoride in the water supply because they thought that it makes people more docile and easier top control?

• Moderators

I saw a AAA truck on the side of the road yesterday assisting a Prius. The driver had run out of gas.
:D

We always have bottled water around the house. I'll take some along in my car every now and then, it's great to just be able to grab one and go. I'm also pretty fanatical about recycling. Sure, it's not great for the environment but there are a lot of other things that are much, much worse. I think that it's pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

Every little bit helps. Besides, why pay $1/bottle (or whatever the price is) for what you can get nearly free out of the tap, especially when it's also bad for the environment and helps perpetuate oil dependence?

• Members

Great Lakes water is some of the best tap water on the planet.

Tap water, in general, here in the US is very heavily regulated and tested by the government, as opposed to the standards for bottled water.

And +1 on the "bottled water creates waste."

Filtered tap water is the most environmentally sound way to go if your tap supply is inherently clean enough for human consumption.

Not to mention that water bottling practices do a lot of damage to groundwater sources around the world.

• Members

Even if you forget about the environmental issues, bottled water is essentially one of the biggest scams going. I rarely drink it, exception being when I go hiking or kayaking and didn't take the time to prepare my refillable bottles.

• Members

I buy bottled water pretty infrequently - I drink from a Britta pitcher at home, and if I'm going somewhere I'll fill a Nalgene bottle or 2 with Britta water. If I'm gonna spend $ on a drink at the convenience store, I'll usually reach for green tea, milk, or Gatorade.

• Members

The issue with tap water is flouride. No matter what anyone tells you, it is a poison. It will help prevent cavities but it will kill you later on. Search the internet and you will find the truth. The best thing you can do is get spring water in 5 gallon reusable containers from a reliable source. In case you dont know it yet, the government in the US could give 2 sheets about our health. Is it really safe to put flouride in water?

http://www.noreenshealthdiner.com/flouride.html

Oh yeah, and you should not use toothpaste with flouride either. :eek:

It may sound extreme but do the research.

• Members

The issue with tap water is flouride. No matter what anyone tells you, it is a poison. It will help prevent cavities but it will kill you later on. Search the internet and you will find the truth. The best thing you can do is get spring water in 5 gallon reusable containers from a reliable source. In case you dont know it yet, the government in the US could give 2 sheets about our health. Is it really safe to put flouride in water?

http://www.noreenshealthdiner.com/flouride.html

Oh yeah, and you should not use toothpaste with flouride either.
:eek:

It may sound extreme but do the research.

Yeah, you're much better off using that chinese import toothpaste that has antifreeze and other chemical by products in place of the flouride.

You might want to talk to lug about getting a custom-fit tinfoil hat to protect you against brainwave control. :freak:

tinfoil1.jpg

• Members

Besides, why pay $1/bottle (or whatever the price is) for what you can get nearly free out of the tap, especially when it's also bad for the environment and helps perpetuate oil dependence?

Because I'm an American. :mad:

:p

Seriously, I'm pretty green. While I tend not to believe that man has much to do with global warming, I think that there's a much bigger principal of stewardship of the earth here and I take that pretty seriously. I buy our bottled water at Costco for way cheap and we probably go through 48 bottles every other month, not a lot and every single bottle gets recycled. Again, it's little more than a grab and go thing. And, while every little bit helps, I think that there are a lot more things that can be looked at. One of the things that we've tried to get better at is how much trash we throw away. We're down to a bit more than a single garbage bag a week of trash. For a family of 4, I think that's pretty darn good.

If you want a cause, why not take on junk mail? Any idea how much we throw into the recycling container each week? I get flyers on my car, left on my driveway, (why these guys aren't busted for littering is way beyond me), on my door and in my mailbox. How many resources and how much junk gets thrown into the atmosphere on this sort of advertising alone?

• Members

Yeah, you're much better off using that chinese import toothpaste that has antifreeze and other chemical by products in place of the flouride.

You might want to talk to lug about getting a custom-fit tinfoil hat to protect you against brainwave control.
:freak:

It's called Google, use it

Also, who said anything about using chinese import toothpaste? :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to help people since most people actually think flouride is a good thing. They have had the advertisements driven into their tinfoil hats since they were kids so they are not inclined to think otherwise. I hope someone does the research and this thread will help make a difference to one person. Peace.....

Archived