WTF is Peavey thinking?

burdizzos

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love Peavey, but how many units are they going to move at that price? Given the competitive price point of the Valveking guitar amp series, I was expecting the VB-2 to retail for less than $700.

I don't find that price to be too over the top. Only a couple hundred more than a new similarly-powered Traynor, and I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the Peavey's tone (based on my experience with the Classic 400). Plus I can carry the VB-2 with one hand.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't try to deal, but I'm not balking at that. Tube bass heads are just spendy by nature.

• Members

That price point is a curse and a blessing. It fills the void between the Traynor YBA-200 and Ampeg SVT-CL. Unfortunately used CLs go for ~$900. It would be a tough choice for the average consumer.

just wait for a used VB2. Probably ~$500.

• Members

made in the U.S. right ? doesn't seem to far off to me , A new V4BH cost about that if you can find one . Some pre's alone easily cost 1/2 or more , while I don't need one it seems ok to me , but yeah wait a few years after they drop it like the 400 and pick one up for like 300 :lol::blah::freak:

• Members

The Valveking is a 2 channel 100 watt all tube head that sells for $500.

I see no reason why a single channel 225 watt head should go for $400 more. I guess it has to do with the fact that they are using EL34s rather than 6L6s or 6550s.

• Members

made in the U.S. right ? doesn't seem to far off to me , A new V4BH cost about that if you can find one . Some pre's alone easily cost 1/2 or more , while I don't need one it seems ok to me , but yeah wait a few years after they drop it like the 400 and pick one up for like 300
:lol::blah::freak:

I'm pretty sure they are made in China in the same place that the Valvekings are made.

• Members

The Valveking is a 2 channel 100 watt all tube head that sells for $500.

I see no reason why a single channel 225 watt head should go for $400 more. I guess it has to do with the fact that they are using EL34s rather than 6L6s or 6550s.

I think it's more of a market issue. There aren't really THAT many all tube bass amps. there are a crapload of all tube guitar amps.

• Members

I think it's more of a market issue. There aren't really THAT many all tube bass amps. there are a crapload of all tube guitar amps.

Very true, but I think Peavey is going to have a hell of a time cracking that market at that price point.

Ebay has got to be changing they way companies value their products. If I'm looking at spending $900 on a tube bass amp, am I going to buy a new 225 watt Peavey or a used 300 watt Ampeg?

• Moderators
Transformers ain't cheap.

Oh, and they're being made Stateside. They caught so much hell for moving production to China that they scrapped the idea.

Yep. Also there isn't much cost difference between a 6L6 and an EL34. $899 for an all-tube MIA 225 watts is a pretty good deal. Having listened to the tone of your recordings, I agree that the Peavey's tone will probably be a better match for you than the Traynor. Do you know if it was just for the VB-2 and soon to be VB-3 that came back stateside, or are the Valve Kings going to be headed back this way, too?

• Members

Very true, but I think Peavey is going to have a hell of a time cracking that market at that price point.

Ebay has got to be changing they way companies value their products. If I'm looking at spending $900 on a tube bass amp, am I going to buy a new 225 watt Peavey or a used 300 watt Ampeg?

I agree. But you and I are different than many people. A lot of folks won't buy a used tube amp. they want it brand spanking new. And in that case, there's a pretty significant price difference.

BTW, did you check out the demo of the amp with Ellefson on their website? I may have to buy one of these when they start coming available on the used market.

• Members

I have seen build it yourself kits cost more money and a lot less wattage than that Peavey.

However...

I predict, after a year of low or no sales the price will go down until the find a more reasonable selling point.

In my opinion they need to offer a 2X10 cab with the amp then it would be every bit worth the asking price.

• Members

I agree. But you and I are different than many people. A lot of folks won't buy a used tube amp. they want it brand spanking new. And in that case, there's a pretty significant price difference.

BTW, did you check out the demo of the amp with Ellefson on their website? I may have to buy one of these when they start coming available on the used market.

Yeah, you're right to agree with me. :D

There's a reason why I'm pissed. I saw the Ellefson demo and have wanted one ever since. I assumed that they'd sell for $750 new when they hit the market.

My singer just sent a letter to Peavey to thank them for years of great service and great products. We both use all Peavey gear and our PA is all Peavey. He asked about some sponsorship action. Maybe they'll throw me a VB-2 and my boy a XXX for some advertising.

• Members

Yep. Also there isn't much cost difference between a 6L6 and an EL34. $899 for an all-tube MIA 225 watts is a pretty good deal. Having listened to the tone of your recordings, I agree that the Peavey's tone will probably be a better match for you than the Traynor. Do you know if it was just for the VB-2 and soon to be VB-3 that came back stateside, or are the Valve Kings going to be headed back this way, too?

No idea how much production got pulled back. I only know what the Peavey guy in the TB Amp Forum said.

FWIW, most of what I've recorded has been Ampeg-driven. I never got a chance to record with the Classic when I had it.

Archived