WTF is Peavey thinking?

burdizzos

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know where people are finding these "light" Mesas. I've lifted a few, and while they're no SVT, they're also no GK.

Add in 10-15 pounds depending on your choice of rack case and it goes up from there.

• Members

Peavey may get luckier than Sadowsky who just stopped production on his all tube heads.

It is a ridiculously small market. Most bass players don't want to be bothered with tubes and the rest don't have the money to afford them.

• Members

Peavey may get luckier than Sadowsky who just stopped production on his all tube heads.

It is a ridiculously small market. Most bass players don't want to be bothered with tubes and the rest don't have the money to afford them.

Well, they're in a whole different price range though. Ampeg hasn't had any problem selling tube heads. I think Yorkville/traynor has done pretty well too. The problem with the Sadowsky ones was the fact they were well over $2000.

• Members
:confused:

Why confused?

Tube amps with a 225W rating will smoke a solid state amp with the same wattage rating. You can overdrive the tube amp and it will sound great, where if you OD a SS amp it will sound like crap.

my Trace V4 was only 240W and was WAY louder than 800W SS amps I've owned.

• Members
Why confused?

Tube amps with a 225W rating will smoke a solid state amp with the same wattage rating. You can overdrive the tube amp and it will sound great, where if you OD a SS amp it will sound like crap.

my Trace V4 was only 240W and was WAY louder than 800W SS amps I've owned.

Indeed. My V-Type (differently-badged V4) keeps up with two cranked half-stacks and a beast of a drummer, and I'm only running it at 50%.

• Members

Indeed. My V-Type (differently-badged V4) keeps up with two cranked half-stacks and a beast of a drummer, and I'm only running it at 50%.

yup. Great amps. BTW, I have all of the tech info and service manuals for those amps in PDF format if you want em.

• Members
Why confused?

Yes. But. If you overdrive the tube amp it will actually be putting out 225 watts or more. The 225 watt SS will probably never actually put out 225 watts.

Bottom line: X watts at Y%THD is the same for both tube and SS. It's just that we don't want to hear a SS amp put out 30% THD ;)

• Members
Seems like a nice amp, at a fair enough price. However, I see the price coming down within a year.

The Sweetwater link shows 18% off MSRP.

I'm used to seeing at least 30% off MSRP on major brands, so I expect true "retail" (MAP) price will come into line once production/distribution/supply ramps up.

:thu:

• Members

I think the price is OK---about $100 more than I expected. Still, not a bad price for an all-tube bass amp. Bass amps are NOT the same as guitar amps---trannys are different, different EQ systems, etc. Apples and oranges in comparison. Also, as someone mentioned, tube bass amps are not THAT great of a seller. Supply vs. Demand will drive price.

• Members

The Sweetwater link shows 18% off MSRP.

I'm used to seeing at least 30% off MSRP on major brands, so I expect true "retail" (MAP) price will come into line once production/distribution/supply ramps up.

:thu:

I noticed that too. Perhaps there is hope. The MSRP for the Peavey Pro Bass 500 is $1049, but it sells for $780 at MF. I got mine used for $475. I guess I'll be able to get a used VB-2 in a few years for what I'm willing to pay.

• Members

I'm a huge fan of Hartley Peavey. I think it speaks volumes that a business as high tech as Sweetwater is now a BIG online dealer.

Even more instructive that HP himself came to Sweetwater along with his reps to begin their training and welcome them as customers. Was a real hoot to see him on OCC unveiling and revving that bike at NAMM (where they get just silly about ANYTHING they think is too loud!).

While an all tube amp is not for me, I would expect that these will do just fine. And if it's anything like most Peavey gear I've owned, while it may not be the living end tone-wise, I have NO doubt I could throw it down a flight of stairs and it would fire right up!

• Moderators
I don't know where people are finding these "light" Mesas. I've lifted a few, and while they're no SVT, they're also no GK.

Add in 10-15 pounds depending on your choice of rack case and it goes up from there.

Yep. Definitely not a boat anchor, but the 20 additional pounds when I'm lugging subs and other LS gear, too, is the deal breaker for me with the 400+.

Archived