White boy reggae

Crescent Seven

• Members

Wow, the hatred for raggea is sad here...it seems like all of you are the type who want to hear amazing solo's and nothing with a little bit of an exotic touch to it.

It must suck to see people with half the skill and twice the heart and soul produce better music than you even though you spend hours a day watching Steve Vai and practicing your scales on your 1400$ guitar.

All jokes aside, I think Raggae and ska bands are good. Sublime is a great band but I do agree that people are playing them thin. And yeah their sound is nice but people neet to get off the "I'm a laid back pot head psuedo hippie" band wagon.

And to whoever said raggae is for people who can't play horns...well, let's just sy I hope you're joking otherwise go listen to some grass roots raggae and tell me it's just two chord progressions.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
regga is for people who cant play ska due to lack of horns. i was in a ska band... most fun i have ever had

Same rule applies here. 3 straight tunes and you've lost me if you play one more. There's all kinds of great band music that horns fit in. Ska is just one of many.

• Members

IF people are saying all white boy raggea bands sound like Sblime than is it fair to say all Ska bands sound like Less Than Jake? I mean seriously, almost every ska concert I go to i a bunch of skinny guy in tight clothes kicking around like morons while some high school marching band geek wails out the same tune on the trumpet.

maybe 1/5 ska/raggea bands is anything really worth listening to.

• Members

All jokes aside, I think Raggae and ska bands are good. Sublime is a great band but I do agree that people are playing them thin. And yeah their sound is nice but people neet to get off the "I'm a laid back pot head psuedo hippie" band wagon.

It's not so much the music that gets me-it's this culture.

• Members

It's unfortunate that people gobble that {censored} up like a bukkake buffet. Sublime sucked, 98% of their tunes were covers, and they managed to spawn 100,000,001 clones that are making my job harder.
:mad:

C7

Wait...so what your saying is that bands that go over well at bars aren't necessarily the best musically, or original? GET THE {censored} OUT!!! CALL THE PAPERS!

I like Reggae. I like Ska. Sublime kicked ass. Op Ivy kicked more ass. C7, if you don't like the {censored}, then don't play it, but bitching about people liking it is sour grapes. Just like original bands bitching they can't get booked because people just want to hear covers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The problem with "white reggae" is not that the band is white but that the people dont know how to play REAL reggae. Its watered down wannabe reggae. Sublime was original when they did it but every other copycat sublime band makes it worse and worse.

For real "white" reggae bands check out:

UB40

Rude Rich and the Highnotes (ska too)

and

Groundation

• Members

The problem with "white reggae" is not that the band is white but that the people dont know how to play REAL reggae. Its watered down wannabe reggae. Sublime was original when they did it but every other copycat sublime band makes it worse and worse.

For real "white" reggae bands check out:

UB40

Rude Rich and the Highnotes (ska too)

and

Groundation

Define "real" reggae, though. I mean, UB40 is the biggest steaming pile of horse {censored} to ever come out of anywhere. That's like British Dancehall Reggae, they just happen to be white boys.:D

C7

• Members

Maybe you should turn off your radio once in a while... I hated Sublime when they first came out, and now I like them. How is it that you don't have more control over what you hear? Do you hang out at the mall all day? Obviously I'm kidding, but the first question was serious. I only hear them when I want to hear them. It's not that hard, I don't turn on MTV, or TV at all really, and I don't turn on the radio. That way, if a band gets played out, it's my fault. With what they play on TV and the radio these days, I'm not missing much.

lastly, if you are sick of 2 chord reggae, then stop playing 2 chord reggae. Play the real thing and it will be harder to get sick of.

Archived