White boy reggae

Crescent Seven

• Members

At tonight's gig, I think I finally reached my breaking point with the whole white-boy reggae thing. We have two quasi-reggae tunes, but the two bands after us were both full-stop whitey reggae brokers. I {censored}ing can't take it anymore. They both drew very well, and my drummer was like "oh {censored}, son, we need to play more reggae!" {censored} all that. I'd rather play polka than hour long sets of two-chord-syncopated-slow-ska bull{censored} with chixdiggit lyrics. Blech.

It's unfortunate that people gobble that {censored} up like a bukkake buffet. Sublime sucked, 98% of their tunes were covers, and they managed to spawn 100,000,001 clones that are making my job harder.:mad:

Am I the only one that feels this way about this genre?

C7

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was with you before and after you said "Sublime sucked." Other than that, right on.

You can disagree with that point as long as you're OK with being wrong.

Alright. Sublime was OK the first 35,000 times I heard them, but I can't listen to them anymore. Every time I hear Sublime I want to pull over my truck and do keg stands and watch chicks do jello shots in skimpy outfits. It's some kind of learned reaction, stemming from hearing {censored}ing Sublime at every single house party I've been to over the last, I don't know, 12 years. So I've listened to their "albums" about 43,000 times each.

C7

• Members

In that case, Sublime didn't suck, your social circle has.

I could not listen to Sublime albums 43,000 times each without killing someone. You are either (1) a murdered or (2) stronger willed than I am.

It has zero to do with my social circle. I've been to parties in other towns and other states and it's this ubiquitous thing. 40 oz to Freedom is always on the box at least once in the night. I've been to parties where the host refused to change the disk, even after it had played through 9 times or whatever. Lame.

C7

• Moderators

It has zero to do with my social circle. I've been to parties in other towns and other states and it's this ubiquitous thing. 40 oz to Freedom is always on the box at least once in the night. I've been to parties where the host refused to change the disk, even after it had played through 9 times or whatever. Lame.

C7

Very lame.

• Members

I do really like some Sublime songs, but much of their output sucked. And they did launch a million {censored}ty bands.

The vocalist in my band joked that we were gonna re-record our songs in a white boy reggae style so that we would get accepted into the Penn State battle of the bands. Sad part is, that if we had done that, we actually would have made it in.....

• Members

I do really like some Sublime songs, but much of their output sucked. And they did launch a million {censored}ty bands.

The vocalist in my band joked that we were gonna re-record our songs in a white boy reggae style so that we would get accepted into the Penn State battle of the bands. Sad part is, that if we had done that, we actually would have made it in.....

I don't mind Sublime, and 311 is ok, but all the followers irk me.

Slightly Stoopid?

Pepper?

They're just recycling Sublime!!!!:mad:

• Members

Sublime is an AMAZING band, if by amazing you mean able to sell millions of copies of a poorly produced album released after the lead singer had OD'd on heroin. I really don't get their appeal, but we added 2 songs (wrong way and what i got, gag) because they seem tobe a standard around here too. Ugh.

• Members

Sublime was cool back in the 90's, but it's been recycled and replayed so much over the past 10 years that it's getting old.

That said, we play "What I Got" on our setlist.
:(

Yeah...... That song has become like the "Freebird" of Gen-X!!!

• Members

Yeah...... That song has become like the "Freebird" of Gen-X!!!

Ain't that the truth. Except I'm not really "Gen-X" per se, I was in high school during the hey day of the Gen-X bull{censored}. I think they're calling my generation "Generation Why?":D

There's this group of dudes that get together every Wednesday to jam on acoustics. Really cool cats, they always want me to bring my bass. I stopped going because it's the same 12 songs every week, and has been for the last 2 years.

It's like Jack Johnson, followed by Pepper, followed by 10 Sublime songs.:freak:

No Me Gusta!:mad:

C7

• Members

The last band I was in, the singer/guitarist loved Sublime. I borrowed all of their cd's and sat through him talking about Sublime. He told me that a lot of Sublime's songs were jams with ad-libbed lyrics. After listening to their cd's, a lot of their songs sound like that and it bugs me.

I really like their bass player. The drummer has a cool kick drum sound (Like on Smoke 2 Joints). There are a few bad ass songs. But I really don't like most of their stuff.

Yo.

• Members

Damn...I guess I need to go hit up YT.

You could check out "April 29, 1992 (Miami)", "Smoke Two Joints", "Pawn Shop" or "What I Got". "Santeria" has got a sweet bassline.

If you want to get annoyed, you could check out "40 oz. to Freedom" or "Wrong Way" or just about anything else they've done. :D

Yo.

• Members

There's this group of dudes that get together every Wednesday to jam on acoustics. Really cool cats, they always want me to bring my bass. I stopped going because it's the same 12 songs every week, and has been for the last 2 years.

It's like Jack Johnson, followed by Pepper, followed by 10 Sublime songs.
:freak:
No Me Gusta!
:mad:
C7

Man...I can feel that pain all the here on the east coast. Ugh. :freak:

• Members

You can disagree with that point as long as you're OK with being wrong.

It's some kind of learned reaction, stemming from hearing {censored}ing Sublime at every single house party I've been to over the last, I don't know, 12 years. So I've listened to their "albums" about 43,000 times each.

C7

I've had the same experience. I never liked the band. I didn't hate them until I was about 19 and had heard their albums a few thousand times each while at parties and in the dorms. My only rule for my current cover band is no sublime. I simply refuse to play their songs.

• Members

regga is for people who cant play ska due to lack of horns. i was in a ska band... most fun i have ever had

Ska is for bands that want to include the horn dorks from Marching band in highschool. ;)

I played trumpet for a while. :wave:

Archived