I need new instrument cables.

brake

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
According to resent testing done by an independent research firm, orange cables create a much higher magnetic dipole moment in the speakers they are connected to than other color cables.

You probably haven't heard about it yet....it was very recent testing. Bleeding edge stuff.
:o

This is why I have orange Van Damme cables...:D made in England - makes them really, really special..:) Have them 7 colors...just make sure I have all the "color sounds" covered...:D

• Members
Let me correct you on this because you seem to think you know it all...what your amp is doing is amplifying the VOLTAGE that it recieves - typically anywhere from 300-350 milivolts at the amp dependent on how hard you are playing your instrument...have you ever measured the input voltage at your amp from your guitar/bass cable? I have.
You obviously have not, as you seem to throw a lot of misplaced theory around with no significant basis in experimentation.

CABLES ARE NOT ELECTRICALLY INDENTICAL
- if you think or preach this then you need to back to school. Changes in physical properties, metals used etc...ALL AFFECT LEVELS OF CAPACITANCE, INDUCTANCE etc...which directly affect what your AMP IS AMPLIFYING...
ALL OF WHICH CAN BE EASILY HEARD, EVEN BY THE UNTRAINED, NON-MUSICIAN EAR

You have no basis on which to argue anything - because all you have done to some small VERY MINUTE degree is compare copper coax to copper coax...so I suggest you go back to your books, and call some audio engineers at Belden or Gepco (The two largest cable manufacturers in the U.S. - legitimate companies who make millions of feet of cable per year) and get properly educated because you lack a TRUE understanding of how cables work and what they do...

Lol, :lol: strawman arguments are fun....

Let me try.... You obviously don't understand... Of course you can't tow a car with a instrument cable. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?

• Moderators
Lol,
:lol:
strawman arguments are fun....

Let me try.... You obviously don't understand... Of course you can't tow a car with a instrument cable. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?

+1

Does anyone not see LavaMan's non sequiturs? There is just no need for it. Either your statements can stand on their own or not, obfuscation is a trick employed by the underhanded. We are going to put all of these cables and ideas to the test, literally, there is no need for the obfuscation and ad hominem attacks.

• Members
This is why I have orange Van Damme cables...
:D
made in England - makes them really, really special..
:)
Have them 7 colors...just make sure I have all the "color sounds" covered...

Now you're just proving you know nothing about cables.

Everyone knows green cables sound the best

• Members

To educate us ALL, we must understand how the guitar/bass, pickup, strings, and amp all work together.

Here's an outake from: The Secrets of Electric Guitar Pickups
By Helmuth E. W. Lemme

Fig. 2. A pickup as an audio voltage source plus second-order lowpass
The external load consists of resistance (the volume and tone potentiometer in the guitar, and any resistance to ground at the amplifier input) and capacitance (due to the capacitance between the hot lead and shield in the guitar cable). The cable capacitance is significant and must not be neglected. This arrangement of passive components forms a so-called second-order low-pass filter (Fig. 3).

secrets3.gif

Fig. 3. A pickup plus real external load (pots, cable, and amp input resistance)

secrets4.gif

Thus, like any other similar filter, it has a cut-off frequency fg; this is where the response is down 3 dB (which means half power). Above fg, the response rolls off at a 12 dB per octave rate, and far below fg, the attenuation is zero. There is no low frequency rolloff; however, a little bit below fg there is an electrical resonance between the inductance of the pickup coil and the capacitance of the guitar cable. This frequency, called fmax, exhibits an amplitude peak. The passive low-pass filter works as a voltage amplifier here (but doesn't amplify power because the output current becomes correspondingly low, as with a transformer).

Position and height of the peak vary from type to type If you know the resonant frequency and height of the resonant peak, you know about 90 percent of a pickup's transfer characteristics; these two parameters are the key to the "secret" of a pickup's sound (some other effects cannot be described using this model, but their influence is less important).
What all this means is that overtones in the range around the resonant frequency are amplified, overtones above the resonant frequency are progressively reduced, and the fundamental vibration and the overtones far below the resonant frequency are reproduced without alteration.

How Resonance Affects Sound

The resonant frequency of most available pickups in combination with normal guitar cables lies between 2,000 and 5,000 Hz. This is the range where the human ear has its highest sensitivity. A quick subjective correlation of frequency to sound is that at 2,000 Hz the sound is warm and mellow, at 3,000 Hz brilliant or present, at 4,000 Hz piercing, and at 5,000 Hz or more brittle and thin. The sound also depends on the height of the peak, of course. A high peak produces a powerful, characteristic sound; a low peak produces a weaker sound, especially with solid body guitars that have no acoustic body resonance. The height of the peak of most available pickups ranges between 1 and 4 (0 to 12 dB), it is dependent on the magnetic material in the coil, on the external resistive load , and on the metal case (without casing it is higher; many guitarists prefer this).

The resonant frequency depends on both the inductance L (with most available pickups, between 1 and 10 Henries) and the capacitance C. C is the sum of the winding capacitance of the coil (usually about 80 - 200 pF) and the cable capacitance (about 300 - 1,000 pF). Since different guitar cables have different amounts of capacitance, it is clear that using different guitar cables with an unbuffered pickup will change the resonant frequency and hence the overall sound.

• Members

The cables from LavaMan just arrived. I was hoping that he didn't want 'em back as I could rub one or more of these cables in my guitarists' faces, but...

I'd want my ~$500 in cables back to if I was Mark.

The Whirlwind Leader cable, courtesy of burdizzos via Full Compass, just got here as well. My guess is that Bayou's and Audiopile's won't be far behind.
:thu:

Do any of you have a problem with me plugging these into my rig before the shootout? If so, speakup soon as it's kinda like new gear day here at my house.

• Members

The Whirlwind Leader cable, courtesy of burdizzos via Full Compass, just got here as well. My guess is that Bayou's and Audiopile's won't be far behind.

:thu:

Do any of you have a problem with me plugging these into my rig before the shootout? If so, speakup soon as it's kinda like new gear day here at my house.

Sweet, now remember to plug them in the correct direction......:freak:

• Members

The reason the colors are good is so that your cable is obvious when breaking down at the end of a gig.

Questions about the shootout:

1. What length speaker cables should I send?

2. What ends?

3. Will it be a true double blind test? In other words will the testers know what they are playing? Visual perception and preconceptions can make your ears hear differently...

I am going to send an old school Hosa curly cable as well just for fun. It's cheap and made in China. I just sell those in ebay so that I can give the buyers a link to my website. I've had nothing but good feedback on them. But then what do they know? Probably nothing, like me....

[humor]

I see what I'm doing wrong! I need a hype man. I wonder if Flavor Flav has some extra time?

[/humor]

And on the real, there should be one more test: On a live gig with loud drums, screaming guitars, and a PA. How much difference does the instrument cable make then?

Thanks.

• Moderators

And on the real, there should be one more test: On a live gig with loud drums, screaming guitars, and a PA. How much difference does the instrument cable make then?

Thanks.

The tentative testing mechanism is given in post 112:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23655580&postcount=112

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

• Members

The reason the colors are good is so that your cable is obvious when breaking down at the end of a gig.

Questions about the shootout:

1. What length speaker cables should I send?

2. What ends?

3. Will it be a true double blind test? In other words will the testers know what they are playing? Visual perception and preconceptions can make your ears hear differently...

Absolutely. See the post Patrick just posted. :)

FYI, me and Kindness debunked the BS I was fed about connector type making a difference. We Blind A/B'd 1/4 inch and Speakon this weekend and the 1/4 was noticablly louder to both of us. That's the opposite of what someone had told me would be the case.

Thanks again to everyone sending cables.

Archived