I need new instrument cables.

brake

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Isn't it hard for people to test cables since yours is an internet based business? I didn't see a test drive program on your website. Can people order your cables and then return them for a full refund if they cannot hear a difference?

I have an informal email inquiry (and usually a phone call) only semi-loaner program that I do not advertise on my website as it would get out of hand quickly...full refunds are a part of it and I have done it with numerous customers...

• Members

I have an informal email inquiry (and usually a phone call) only semi-loaner program that I do not advertise on my website as it would get out of hand quickly...full refunds are a part of it and I have done it with numerous customers...

I'm glad to hear that.

• Members

How do you know? Have you tried them?

Don't need to. It won't, even if there is a discernible difference in sound quality, which there may very well be.

I still would like to be part of the AB comparison for my own education, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that something like this would have zero effect on the ass to seat ratio of any given show.

• Members

Don't need to. It won't, even if there is a discernible difference in sound quality, which there may very well be.

I still would like to be part of the AB comparison for my own education, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that something like this would have zero effect on the ass to seat ratio of any given show.

;)

• Members

Honestly, if we do have a get together to do this. I'd also like to test another claim I've been told makes a big difference, which is Speak on vs 1/4 vs Bannanna vs Speakon.

That would be the tits.

Make sure you get some Tera Labs AC power cables too.

• Members

That's not really the intent - the idea is that you hear your rig with more clarity and definition and less noise. As a result, you enjoy playing more because your sound IS better.

One of my customers did an A/B with a little Fender Princeton with a doubting buddy. They cranked the amp all the way up and switched cables between the van den Hul and a regular coax - he stated the amp was literally louder with the van den Hul and had much less break up an distortion...

Here's what a good cable provides the bass player:

1. More clarity and defintion

2. More usable EQ range on your amp

3. More volume

4. Less noise

• Members

Oh, BTW...send me your ship to address to
and I will send you one of my high end cables for free and you will hear you bass like you have never heard it before...

I'll gladly take that challenge! I'll even record every cable through different basses just to really hear the difference and post all of the clips. There will be pics, clips, multiple basses, multiple rigs...whatever anybody wants...within reason of course. I'd love to try out a Zaolla vs. Van Den Hul vs. my Monster cable.

I'll have 2 reference rigs: 1 Active DI w/ a Monster studio 1000 straight into the board & 1 Passive DI w/ a Monster Studio 1000 straight into the board. I won't use any EQ...on board or mixed...everything will be set flat.

I'll record using:

Jazz Bass

P bass

Stingray

Modulus

That'll give the 3 most popular bass tones a shot, plus one more just for kicks.

I'm not one anyone's side here either...I'm just looking to educate the masses as easily as I can with the best testing I can do. I will say that I am very interested in high end cable and have toyed with the idea of getting a Zaolla for recording purposes only.

Let me know what anyone thinks...and put more ideas up. You guys know what I have for gear...so tell me how you want to hear this whole thing!

Tell me 5 bass lines you guys would like to hear. That'll make a for a total of 20 different tones on each cable...however many are sent.

LavaMan...let me know if you'll let me take this challenge!!!

• Members

Here's what a good cable provides the bass player:

1. More clarity and defintion

2. More usable EQ range on your amp

3. More volume

4. Less noise

This may or may not be true, and I'm looking forward to finding out for myself first hand. Even if it is true, I think these cables are probably at a point far above where I would see diminishing returns.

• Members

I'll gladly take that challenge! I'll even record every cable through different basses just to really hear the difference and post all of the clips. There will be pics, clips, multiple basses, multiple rigs...whatever anybody wants...within reason of course. I'd love to try out a Zaolla vs. Van Den Hul vs. my Monster cable.

I'll have 2 reference rigs: 1 Active DI w/ a Monster studio 1000 straight into the board & 1 Passive DI w/ a Monster Studio 1000 straight into the board. I won't use any EQ...on board or mixed...everything will be set flat.

I'll record using:

Jazz Bass

P bass

Stingray

Modulus

That'll give the 3 most popular bass tones a shot, plus one more just for kicks.

I'm not one anyone's side here either...I'm just looking to educate the masses as easily as I can with the best testing I can do. I will say that I am very interested in high end cable and have toyed with the idea of getting a Zaolla for recording purposes only.

Let me know what anyone thinks...and put more ideas up. You guys know what I have for gear...so tell me how you want to hear this whole thing!

Tell me 5 bass lines you guys would like to hear. That'll make a for a total of 20 different tones on each cable...however many are sent.

LavaMan...let me know if you'll let me take this challenge!!!

Already sending them to Jeff...maybe he could send them on to you when he is done...

• Members

Already asked you this in a previous post but I don't think you saw it... But do you have an outlet in Europe for Lava cables?

Yes - VintageGitar.No in Norway sells my Lava ELC with the crimped on Clear Connect plugs from G&H industries. I had a dealer in Sweden for awhile as well, but he has not made any purchases recently.

• Members

Using the pedal vs cable rant again and again only shows your position is not going to change.. A pedal has components that (by design) alter your sound, they are made to do so, they are chosen by he manufaturer to change the sound in a certain way, so a different cap or resister (different values) will drastically change the output. The Idea behind the effect is the same, make it warble and let them control the warble, but the curcuitry is much different and will have a marked inpact on the tone of the signal it is being fed.

a Cble carres a signal, it doens't alter it. If by some chance on the Oscilliscope you can see a different wavering line that is outside of the scope of human hearing, you should ignore it because it has no effect. I use modestly priced cables, my guitar player has a Zoalla cable, there is no audible difference between the two, and I have A/B'd them with passive basses and active basses. SO you want to sell a few more cables to the ignorant masses who think there is going to be a benefit, just don't try to feed us the same line of BS you feed to them.

If you want really loyal spending happy customers, go to the audiophile market . Those guys will dump ridiculous $$ to make their home systems 'sound better'.... but if yo've got nothing better to do than sit at home and think 'how awesome' your stereo is, you've got problems..

• Moderators

One of the things that all "anti-cable-hype" folks try to do is show that the use of measuring equipment is the ONLY TRUE way to determine benificial cable differences the idea being that the expensive cable exhibits the same (or slightly different) electronic characteristics, therefore tthe higher price is not justified.

Like I have already mentioned, these measurements by themsleves have nothing to do with how a cable may or may not sound. They prove NOTHING.

Take the time to read my posts. In this particular case you will see I included listening tests as a valid measurement that would lend verifiable support to your claims.

I will make sure that your cables get a fair audition and comparison by any local HCBFer that is interested. I'll also do a full write up of our testing results and findings that I'll post in this forum.

• Members

I will make sure that your cables get a fair audition and comparison by any local HCBFer that is interested. I'll also do a full write up of our testing results and findings that I'll post in this forum.

Damn it! I wish I was heading to Chi town (just to test cables! HA!!!). Make sure that everybody involved posts their thoughts as well...I want to hear all of the opinions.

• Moderators

Damn it! I wish I was heading to Chi town (just to test cables! HA!!!). Make sure that everybody involved posts their thoughts as well...I want to hear all of the opinions.

I will make sure to collect everything in one place a provide a detailed account. I'm sure everyone else will post their thoughts as well.

• Members

I will make sure to collect everything in one place a provide a detailed account. I'm sure everyone else will post their thoughts as well.

Any ideas on testing beyond blind A/B hearing tests? I remember during one round of these debates someone posted a bunch of graphs of results, but I didn't really care enough, at the time, to look into it with much detail.

Archived