I need new instrument cables.

brake

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My cabinets have all three. I use the 1/4" and the Speakons depending on the amp. I prefer the Speakons because they lock. FWIW, every rational discussion I've ever heard about speaker cables has been safety related, not sound quality related.

Have you ever had a conversation about Sound quality? If yes, you're saying it was irrational?

We need an amp that has at least 1/4" and speakon outs. I do not have one.

• Members

BTW it is AC that cycles in one direction - it's a cycle - send/return, send/return and so on - it starts with the send...AC is directional it flows from send to return...

umm....no. AC means Alternating Current. It does not travel in one direction. If it were directional it would be Direct Current, DC.

Wheeeeeeeeee!

• Members

let the Chicago crew do the testing and once we've posted our findings....... then you'll all not believe us anyway and continue arguing!!!!
:idea:

It's not like you guys are credible. I mean how many of you play out weekly and have the knowledge to even keep up with the high tech discussions in this thread?

;)

• Members

The Theory, I repeat theory as the aubible differences in directionality or much more subtle and open to debate is this:

1. The grains of metal when pulled to make it clyindrical goes in one direction which can be seen under a microscope.

2. The concept is to send the signal in the same direction as the grains are going.

3. Also, the theory is that by plugging your cable in the same direction every time the signal finds the most efficient path.

4. With a very few speaker cables, but many dual or quad conductor instrument cables, the theory is that by not soldering the shield in at the source end (instrument for instrument and amp for speaker) any excessive AC line noise or other types of noise will be dissipated in the shield - thus you have a quieter cable. This "lifting the shield" is and has been common place in studios for many, many years.

If we could hear DC I would see this as an advantage but since our instruments emit AC (as in current flows alternately in each direction) a directional cable would be detrimental. Sometimes a little critcal thinking is all it takes.

• Members

In the manner they are suggesting it is directional ( The direction of the metal grain formation) it would probably make no difference at all.

Then there's this....

"3. Also, the theory is that by plugging your cable in the same direction every time the signal finds the most efficient path."

• Members

Then there's this....

"3. Also, the theory is that by plugging your cable in the same direction every time the signal finds the most efficient path."

The operative word is "Theory"... this how I started this particular post. I am a cable shop - if a manufacturer recommends that I mark their cable as directional (many of which are printed on the jacket with arrows) then I do that. Now, whether it sounds better plugged in recommended direction versus the opposite that is subjective and I will make no claims that they do or do not...

All I have is customer feedback on this issue and I have had a few customers who have reversed diectional cables and said they sounded worse - that's their ears not mine...

• Members

I find that plugging my directional cables in backwards results in a cool sound. It's kind of like the Ric bridge mutes, only more subtle and easier to work with.

When it comes to speaker cables, I like to keep track of how I plug them in and flip them every three months to prevent the crystal structure of the copper atoms from aligning too much which can lead to eddy current embrittlement due to interaction with the speaker magnet and cause premature cable failure.

• Members
I just want to buy some Canare from Bayou because I can get it in orange
:D

I like color coding, it helps a bit with routing. I have red and blue Monster Studio500 series STILL that I bought back in the mid 90's. Why the hell can't my MonsterBASS cables last like that?! :mad: ANYWAY...I use them for my stereo sends: red=right/blue=left.:cool:

• Members
I just want to buy some Canare from Bayou because I can get it in orange
:D

According to resent testing done by an independent research firm, orange cables create a much higher magnetic dipole moment in the speakers they are connected to than other color cables.

You probably haven't heard about it yet....it was very recent testing. Bleeding edge stuff. :o

• Members

According to resent testing done by an independent research firm, orange cables create a much higher magnetic dipole moment in the speakers they are connected to than other color cables.

You probably haven't heard about it yet....it was very recent testing. Bleeding edge stuff.
:o

I'm hoping you can also tell me that the flux capacitance of black instrument cable is high enough that the demagnetic coupling field effect misaligns the phase between high and low spectrometer frequencies...

Or something else that explains why I suck... ;)

• Members
wait a minute, people here are joking? I feel like such a fool....

I wanna Les Paul, you have to have the flux capacitor and get the delorian up to exactly 88 MPH, duh, every good cable manufacturer knows that.....

If I use a cable with a flux capacitor on my modulus, maybe i can make a quantum leap! Get it....modulus....quantum.....leap....

:cry:

Archived