2001 A Space Odyssey

Dr. Stangelove Or How I learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomg

A Clockwork Orange

Spartacus

Yeah, what a hack.
:rolleyes:

Methinks someone's been loving the "bomg" a bit too much. :p:wave:

• Members

I'd read the book too dude, I read the book before I saw the movie and I thought the book was way better: a piece of genius actually. Kubrick is alright though, im neither here nor there on his adaptation

btw, *cough* after you watch it, you might understand where our band name came from ;)

• Members

Did you get the big-lettered version for dyslexics or something? My Penguin version is 148 pages.

By the way, if you enjoyed A Clockwork Orange, by all means read '1985' by Burgess. Very enjoyable.

I must have. I read it a long time ago, so I was guessing. The point is that it's a short book.

1985, eh? I'll look in to it. I read his book The Wanting Seed and enjoyed the hell out of that.

• Members

Stanley Kubrick. With titles like these, he should be ashamed of himself:

Full Metal Jacket

The Shining

2001 A Space Odyssey

Dr. Stangelove Or How I learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomg

A Clockwork Orange

Spartacus

Yeah, what a hack.
:rolleyes:

All overrated nonsense...Just like every Kurosawa film and ever Miles Davis album...

The only people who like that {censored} are pretentious wine-sipping gonks...Real fans know better...:mad:

• Members

Alright folks, just because some of us don't buy into Kubrick's legacy doesn't mean we don't "get" his films. Kubrick has a unique style that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. A Clockwork Orange isn't a horrible film and I actually enjoyed the first part of it... it's just that after awhile the whole thing becomes overkill. I think Full Metal Jacket is awesome the whole way through, and one of the best Vietnam movies ever made. The Shining isn't too bad but the Stephen King book is soooo much better (as usual). Kubrick's other stuff though, I don't care for it. That's why I think he's overrated - some folks think anything he touched was gold and that those who disagree are obviously not "smart" enough to realize how wrong they are.

• Members

All overrated nonsense...Just like every Kurosawa film and ever Miles Davis album...

The only people who like that {censored} are pretentious wine-sipping gonks...
Real
fans know better...
:mad:

Kubrick is te only director to even realize there is no gravity on a space ship! :mad:

Dr. Strangelove has almost as many good quotes as CaddyShack! :mad:

ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKE JACK N. A DULL BOY!!!! :mad:

SINGING IN THE RAIN..THUNK! JUST SINGING IN THE RAIN!:mad:

TONITE WE DINE IN....oops, wrong movie. :(

• Members
While I enjoy Kubrick's movies, I can certainly understand why people wouldn't like them.

The dialogue in A Clockwork Orange was poorly delivered and it would have been better if it was somewhat shorter. If not for the pure power of the storyline and creative use of characters brought to the table by Burgess, it would have been a steaming pile of {censored}.

The book was just over 200 pages.

The use of the Nadsat Language in the movie was well done and enjoyable, but again, the delivery was lacking.

There are times during that film that I feel as though I am watching a Benny Hill episode, although it's entirely possible that Mr. Hill was influenced by Kubrick since his show ran from 69 to 89 and A Clockwork Orange hit theaters in 71.

All in all, I think Kubrick might be a tad overrated, but he's got nothing on David Lynch.

don't try and make like you know what you're talking about, country boy.

• Members

My only complaint with Clockwork (the movie) is that it was never mentioned that Alex was only 15 when he murdered the woman with the Big Penis and went to jail. After seeing the movie in the 70s, I read the book and was floored by that fact. I think it would have made an excellent and very relevant point in the movie, contextually.

About Kubrick, I'm biased. He made some of my favorite movies (previously listed), but made some others that are great eye-candy, but very flawed either in casting, scripting or overall concept. His work with Trumbull is phenomenal.

"2001" was groundbreaking, as was Strangelove, FMJ, Clockwork, Spartacus, Paths of Glory, The Shining. Lolita was dull, Eyes Wide Shut was predictable and Barry Lyndon made me want to open a vein. All pleasing to the eye, however. I don't feel the need for all movies of a particular director to be classics. Hitchcock and Kurosawa had their bad days, as did Cukor, Capra, Ford, et.al. Their greats more than make up for their flubs.

• Members

don't try and make like you know what you're talking about, country boy.

My bumpkin background gives me a uniquely objective point of view that I cannot expect a street urchin like you to understand.

I'll forgive your ignorance, but I will not exonerate your stupid face! :mad:

• Members

:thu:

Guess these other guys would rather go see Die Hard 53 or whatever number they're up to now.

"Kubrick over-rated". Lol. That's a good one! Needed a good laugh this morning.

no kidding. he is one of the best. ACO is a great film. i own the kubrick box set. well worth the cash.

• Members

I think Kubrick was an excellent director. Probably one of the best. He was also very artistic and highly intelligent. The problem therein lies in the fact that some of his work is going to be so far outside, that most people will not find it enjoyable. Sometimes, I don't. But that doesn't change the fact that most of his movies pushed the limits of what films where "about" at the time, and introduced new concepts and ideas that were sometimes foreign to film-makers and audiences.

Personally, I thought A Clockwork Orange was gut-wrenching and sickening. I also found it impossible to look away from. The final screenplay moved very smoothly and transitioned with little or no de-emphasis on the plots presented. By the end of the movie, I felt that Kubrick had delivered one of the best films of the century... and should stand in contention longer than that. It brings to light a new perpective of society. And that's not a futuristic society... that IS society. Always has been, always will be. There is a constant power struggle throughout our cultures - in crime and reform alike. And that's the bread and butter of that movie. Could it have been done without the violence? Sure. Would it have been as emotionally penetrating to the audience? I seriously doubt it.

I can say the same about other Kubrick films.

Now you take a movie like 2001... and I can say that I had difficulty finding this movie worth the time. Yes, it was a ground-breaking film. Yes, the plots where great. The movie introduced a lot of new things not only to the film industry, but also to audiences. But really, there was about an hour of real storyline there. And unfortunately, my attention span is just too short.

I can say the same about other Kubrick films.

I have watched these two movies once each. And I've owned them for a long time. In fact, Clockwork was one of the first DVD's I bought back in the late 90's after I got my first DVD player. I've never watched that DVD. The only time I saw the movie was years before I bought it.

Will I watch them both again? Yes. When? I have no idea. But I know I will.

That's my .02

Archived