Gigging While Sick

Thunderbroom

• Members

I'm not sure exactly what I have, but I've slept most of the last two days, have a constant headache, congestion and just overall achy.

We've got a gig today, and I've got to load up the PA and leave by 4:15p.

I feel like absolute {censored}.

:(

Tell me what a {censored} I'm being and to shut the eff up.

:idea:

:D

• Members

Best of luck, and get to feeling better.

The only time I've ever missed a gig was when I was a junior in high school. We had a show lined up and about five days before I got a horrible ear ache. My ears are very sensitive, and when I was a child I lost about 30 percent of my hearing due to bad ear infections that wouldn't let up. In any case, I get this monster ear ache, rush to the doctor, get some medicines, then a couple days later my other ear starts hurting! In one ear I have a normal ear infection, in the other swimmer's ear. It got so bad I missed an entire week of school, I couldn't talk because my jaw had locked up and I lost about 10 pounds cause I couldn't eat. Needless to say I couldn't gig, either. It sucked so bad.

• Members

I haven't been really sick in a long time, but not too long ago I gigged with a cold and it sucked. I had to do gravelly screaming vocals with short breath and a sore throat. I wish I'd just been playing bass, it would have been way easier.

Get more rest and prepare to be mediocre, I guess.

• Members

Yeah, I know everyone's likely been there. I'm just looking for a swift kick in the ass.

Tell you what, I'll play all your gigs until you feel better and you can play mine.:p

...now man up and get out there and kick some country bass ass!:thu:

• Members

I'm not sure exactly what I have, but I've slept most of the last two days, have a constant headache, congestion and just overall achy.

My situation is different as I play for a living: when Im sick, I play--I have done gigs sitting on a stool and letting the other members take the vocal weight. Other people rely on me for their paycheck and vice-versa so fulltimers understand the unwritten code of musical ethics that there is no sick call-ins..

..as I said though, your situation is different. It might be in your benefit to know a couple of competent players in your area (guys from HCBF Chicago :idea:)that you would trust to call in as a sub if the situation warrants it....A little too late for that: ya got to do this gig.....

• Members

DAYQUIL!!! Like 3 times the normal dose. Seriously, and then right when you get done packing up, AFTER THE SHOW, do 2x the normal dose of Nyquil.

Yeah. Acetaminophen isn't toxic in high doses. Take a {censored}ing handful, your liver doesn't mind a bit.:rolleyes:

I have some better advice. Slice up a lemon and put it in a gallon jug, then fill the jug with cold water. Drink the whole thing over the course of a few hours. Take 2 ibuprofen half and hour before your set, and don't overwork yourself during the day.

Good luck!

C7

• Members

sounds like you have the same thing I have,

Rag weed allergy.

I get this {censored} this time of the season every year.

get some Musinex and benadryl

It will make a new man out of you!

go see your doctor and get some Claritin monday. :thu:

• Members

Yeah. Acetaminophen isn't toxic in high doses. Take a {censored}ing handful, your liver doesn't mind a bit.
:rolleyes:
C7

If taking large amounts of drugs was dangerous for you, God wouldn't have invented stomach pumping. And I wouldn't tell someone to do something that was dangerous. I've done it more than once and nothing bad happened.

• Members

If taking large amounts of drugs was dangerous for you, God wouldn't have invented stomach pumping. And I wouldn't tell someone to do something that was dangerous. I've done it more than once and nothing bad happened.

{censored}in Moron:rolleyes:

Acetaminophen in large quantitys will shut your liver down

don't take more than 2 aleeve in a 12 hour period

• Members

Last fall I was seriously sick and played a gig at one of our regular clubs. I had been sick for about a week by then. I found out it was the Lipitor that I was taking for my cholesterol level. I stopped taking it and 2 days later I was fine.

Then last spring our lead guitarist bailed on us for a gig because he was sick. We had to scramble for a sub. I felt like slapping the lead player in the chops. I played sick but he couldn't?:mad:

• Moderators

DAYQUIL!!! Like 3 times the normal dose. Seriously, and then right when you get done packing up, AFTER THE SHOW, do 2x the normal dose of Nyquil.

I never felt the need to OD like that, but DayCare (as it was called back then) got me through many a gig. One dose shortly before going onstage, another after the third set. That put me at more than a standard dose for the fourth set, and it showed. NyQuil after the show, around 3 A.M. Out like a light.

However, one time I was really sick. Couldn't stand up. Like DevilRaysFan, I played the first night sitting down, and spent each break, all break, laying down. I played a fretless for the first time that night, as I'd forgotten my Ric. I have no idea how I sounded. I don't remember much about that gig. Ukiah, CA, I think.

Archived