OT: Sinkhole

Super_Donut_Man

• Moderators

Hopefully there isn't too significant a loss. If I had been that lady who wasn't allowed back in to get her cats, I would've been pissed. There have been a lot of things built/developed in the last 50 years that need serious repair. This is just another chapter, just like the bridge in Minnesota collapsing. Since the government reps decided to appease everyone with all kinds of entitlements (including their own lofty pensions and healthcare) to win re-elections, this kind of stuff is going to be happening more and more.

• Members

Hopefully there isn't too significant a loss. If I had been that lady who wasn't allowed back in to get her cats, I would've been pissed. There have been a lot of things built/developed in the last 50 years that need serious repair. This is just another chapter, just like the bridge in Minnesota collapsing. Since the government reps decided to appease everyone with all kinds of entitlements (including their own lofty pensions and healthcare) to win re-elections, this kind of stuff is going to be happening more and more.

You're painting with one of these:

Paintbrush.jpg

:D

• Moderators
WTF? How is the government responsible for a sinkhole? Should they prevent volcanoes from erupting, too?
:confused:

I don't get this thread.

I don't know other than why is the government letting New Orleans build right back in the same place when Mississippi decided against doing just that? Part of the government's job is to provide safety to the citizens.:idea:

• Members

I don't know other than why is the government letting New Orleans build right back in the same place when Mississippi decided against doing just that? Part of the government's job is to provide safety to the citizens.
:idea:

True, but imagine the stink people would raise if the federal government told people they couldn't rebuild New Orleans on the original site. Every chucklehead from Ray Nagin up would be griping about their rights to rebuild in a flood plain.

• Moderators
True, but imagine the stink people would raise if the federal government told people they
couldn't
rebuild New Orleans on the original site. Every chucklehead from Ray Nagin up would be griping about their rights to rebuild in a flood plan.

When the place goes three feet under again after a Cat 5 hurricane, we're going to be shelling out the same huge bucks and next time it won't be all Bush's fault. It's the same reason a lot of the anti-smoking legislation is passing. Since the taxpayer is footing the medical bills for a lot of these folks, they want them to be healthier. Since the taxpayers are paying for many motorcyclists after getting injured, they force them to wear helmets. It's the same with seat belts. Housing should be no different. But you're very right. Nagin and his supporters would try to raise holy hell, which is stupid. Why not take the opportunity to build the town right and build on ground that is at least at sea level? They had the opportunity for a do over and are punting the responsibility to a future time, a future administration and perhaps another generation.

• Members

This is what happens when you build houses on geologically unstable ground. They did it in my hometown in the 70's against the recommendations of dozens of geologists, and now million dollar homes are sliding down the hill. Apparently it's not wise to build houses on loose dirt that has volcanic obsidian (ie: glass) only 25 feet underneath it.:idea:

The county official that approved the construction was paid nicely by the developers to do so, and now he's dead, so they can't even point the finger at anyone. The county got sued instead.

I feel bad for the residents affected by this, because it wasn't their responsibility to know the geology of the area when they bought their house. Though I will say that a pattern has developed in California, that houses built on hillsides tend to be a liability.:D

C7

• Members

I feel bad for the residents affected by this, because it wasn't their responsibility to know the geology of the area when they bought their house. Though I will say that a pattern has developed in California, that houses built on hillsides tend to be a liability.
:D
C7

Just a couple of years ago a whole bunch of homes in Laguna Canyon (in Orange County CA) were condemned as a result of a significant mudslide. Most of the houses in question were uninsured because of the geological conditions. As far as I know, those homeowners were SOL. oops!

• Members

Just a couple of years ago a whole bunch of homes in Laguna Canyon (in Orange County CA) were condemned as a result of a significant mudslide. Most of the houses in question were uninsured because of the geological conditions. As far as I know, those homeowners were SOL. oops!

Most homebuyers are so swamped with other details that they don't even think about the ground their house is built on. Out here, there are two conditions to consider:

-Landslide areas. In CO, that means most hills with more than a 7% grade, because the soil is so rocky and loose-packed. In Golden, they had these million dollar homes slide on a grade that's no more than 4%.

-Bentonite shale substructure. Bentonite is found several hundred feet below the surface, and in wet seasons, it absorbs water and swells. Ever walk into the bathroom at a recently built restaurant, and had it smell like fresh vomit? Bentonite. It's caused houses in Douglas County, CO to pitch as much as 10 degrees off level, and made their wells completely useless.

I guarantee that 90% of homebuyers that are faced with issues involving these two problems knew nothing about either of them when they bought their house. Caveat Emptor, I suppose.

C7

• Members

It is pretty big but how does a municipality fix a sink hole??

The only way that they can properly "fix" the area is to level all the houses and start the area over. Obviously what they did back then was not enough, but its not much that they can do. Leveling an entire residential area would be pretty hard to get done.

• Members

I remember reading about an entire town somewhere in the states that was built on top of a heavy coal vein.. While burning rubbish at the tip it ignited the coal underground or something.. The town is still there, but its just abandoned, all the signs pointing it out have been removed, the roads closed down etc..

Apparently toxic smoke pours from the ground and the soil is hot.. freakin COOL!!

Here.. Centralia..

http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/centralia.htm

I wanna go there!

Archived