There's no other life in the universe...

Dark Slide

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

galaxies2_apm_big.gif

This is 2 million galaxies. This is also only a small portion of the sky. Imagine the number of stars within each, and the possibility of planets around each...

The Drake Equation says that is wrong. Even if you're a pessimist.

Gotta love that Hubble Telescope and its cousins. :thu::thu:

Or, that could be yesterday's pizza.

• Members

We have no idea what conditions are on planets in other galaxies.

But there will be some, probably many, that will be the right distance from its star for the proper conditions to exist so that life would be there.

There are too many to think otherwise.

• Members

The Drake Equation says that is wrong. Even if you're a pessimist.

Before you say anything, "Yes I am changing my screenname" :mad:

Back to topic

The way I understood it, the Drake Equation says there will be intelligent life, but, regardless of 2 billion galaxies, it will not be as widespread as popular science fiction believes and will either be technologically advanced by eons or hasnt risen yet...The likelihood of a Star Trek scenario with a bunch of races in a given area with equivalent technologies - even within a range of 100,000 years (and thats a LOT) - is infinitely small

• Members

Before you say anything, "Yes I am changing my screenname"
:mad:

Back to topic

The way I understood it, the Drake Equation says there will be intelligent life, but, regardless of 2 billion galaxies, it will not be as widespread as popular science fiction believes and will either be technologically advanced by eons or hasnt risen yet...The likelihood of a Star Trek scenario with a bunch of races in a given area with equivalent technologies - even within a range of 100,000 years (and thats a LOT) - is infinitely small

You're right but that if you use certain parameters.

In the Milky Way for instance, if you're an optimist and you use the optimistic numbers there will be 1 million in our galaxy alone. I mean planets that will have intelligent life capable of communication with us and be at least as technologically advanced as we.

If you use the pessimistic numbers then there may be only 100,000.

• Members

None so far have our perfect conditions . The moon , tides , everything is perfect ,except for the rapid extinction of it's diverse species.

"Perfect conditions" is a relative statement. We may have the "perfect conditions" for the species that lives here now... but we don't even have the technology to detect lifeforms that are not DNA-based. So who's to say we are alone even on Earth?

Earth hasn't always had conditions right for the majority of the species who call it home right now. But other lifeforms still existed. Like these guys:

sleestack.GIF

And I'm sure it'll cycle around again within the next 1/4 of a billion years.

• Members

There are many who still believe we are alone in the Universe.

A pretty forboding thought.

Thinking there are no other lifeforms is no different than thinking there are millions of other lifeforms. Neither can be proven, and each is no more right or wrong than the other.

• Members

Thinking there are no other lifeforms is no different than thinking there are millions of other lifeforms. Neither can be proven, and each is no more right or wrong than the other.

You're right.

I am the optimist though. ;)

I think it's only a matter of time for SETI to hit it.

seti-cook-sketch.jpg

Archived