Ouch....! Hillary-care beware....

chris-dax

• Members

English 'pull own teeth' as dental service decays

Falling numbers of state dentists in England has led to some people taking extreme measures, including extracting their own teeth, according to a new study released Monday.

Others have used superglue to stick crowns back on, rather than stumping up for private treatment, said the study. One person spoke of carrying out 14 separate extractions on himself with pliers.

More typically, a lack of publicly-funded dentists means that growing numbers go private: 78 percent of private patients said they were there because they could not find a National Health Service (NHS) dentist, and only 15 percent because of better treatment.

"This is an uncomfortable read for all of us, and poses serious questions to politicians from patients," said Sharon Grant of the Commission for Patient and Public Involvement in Health.

Overall, six percent of patients had resorted to self-treatment, according to the survey of 5,000 patients in England, which found that one in five had decided against dental work because of the cost.

One researcher involved in compiling the study -- carried out by members of England's Patient and Public Involvement Forums -- came across three people in one morning who had pulled out teeth themselves.

Dentists are also concerned about the trend.

Fifty-eight percent said new dentists' contracts introduced last year had made the quality of care worse, while 84 percent thought they had failed to make it easier for patients to find care.

Almost half of all dentists -- 45 percent -- said they no longer take NHS patients, while 41 percent said they had an "excessive" workload. Twenty-nine percent said their clinic had problems recruiting or retaining dentists.

"These findings indicate that the NHS dental system is letting many patients down very badly," said Grant.

"It appears many are being forced to go private because they don't want to lose their current trusted and respected dentist or because they just can't find a local NHS dentist."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

English 'pull own teeth' as dental service decays

Falling numbers of state dentists in England has led to some people taking extreme measures, including extracting their own teeth, according to a new study released Monday.

"It appears many are being forced to go private because they don't want to lose their current trusted and respected dentist or because they just can't find a local NHS dentist."

Yes, this is what we all have to look forward to.

Free healthcare ain't free by a long stretch.

I always find it hideous that most of the general population confuse healthcare maintenance with catastrophic healthcare. But that's the way they want it as an effective political tool. :rolleyes:

Everyone should be frightened that the feds are going to nationalize 1/7 of the entire American economy.

What we have now is because of government intervention and ineptitude.

• Members

Everyone should be frightened that the feds are going to nationalize 1/7 of the entire American economy.

Everyone should be frightened to know that healthcare is now 1/7 of the American economy.:eek:

As for this thread, some of you guys might feel like pulling your teeth out after we elect Hillary, but that's as relevant as it gets.

Nothing to see but more fear mongering from Chris Dax.:rolleyes:

I like his style, though. "Elect Hillary and you're going to be pulling your own teeth out! Ouch!":D

• Members

You realize many people are doing this in USA too right ?

People are shocked by it in UK because they USED to have a good health system.

Since Blair started killing it, you can only get good care if you have good money.

Hey Jazzy - I'm just wondering...do you think this guy could be named an honorary Frenchman for his pioneering work in combining the art of love with the art of dentistry...? :idea:

A dentist accused of fondling the breasts of 27 female patients is trying to keep his dental license by arguing that chest massages are an appropriate procedure in certain cases. Mark Anderson's lawyer says dental journals discuss the need to massage the pectoral muscles to treat a common jaw problem.

Nah, I guess not....to be an honorary Frenchman, he would have to claim that the chest message is appropriate in every case....:D

• Members

Hey Jazzy - I'm just wondering...do you think this guy could be named an honorary Frenchman for his pioneering work in combining the art of love with the art of dentistry...?
:idea:

A dentist accused of fondling the breasts of 27 female patients is trying to keep his dental license by arguing that chest massages are an appropriate procedure in certain cases. Mark Anderson's lawyer says dental journals discuss the need to massage the pectoral muscles to treat a common jaw problem.

Nah, I guess not....to be an honorary Frenchman, he would have to claim that the chest message is appropriate in every case....
:D

Nah. it was a female patient. :D:D:D

• Members

We are already on our way to socialized health care here in the US. The government is already the biggest purchaser of health care through Medicaid, Medicare, and the various state programs. A lot of providers are no longer accepting Medicare and Medicaid patients because the reimbursement rate is so low.

That's what scares me about socialized health care in this country. I don't know of too many social programs that the Federal government has been able to run well without being incompetent and wasteful. If we had national health care, I wouldn't be surprised if it tanked within a few years. Heck, Medicare is already on the verge of bankruptcy. It's been borrowing from the general fund for a while now.

On the other hand, I do think it sucks how many people in the US go without health care. Granted, there is the counter-argument that no one can be denied health care based on the ability to pay. While that's true, there needs to be an asterisk next to it. If you show up in the emergency room and it turns out you need an appendectomy, you'll get it even if you don't have insurance or $30k to pay for it. On the other hand, if you have diabetes or some other chronic condition that needs regular doctor visits you can't just show up at your local ER and get that care. You either pony up the cash yourself, find a charity or a free clinic (if available), or go without.

I used to work with a guy who was in a bad car wreck ten years prior. His pelvis was damaged, and he walked with one of the worst limps I've ever seen. Needless to say, he needed a cane to get around. The guy needed a hip replacement badly, but couldn't afford it. He did have insurance, but the company wasn't willing to put up all the money. His quality of life could have been significantly improved with a hip replacement (better mobility, no more chronic pain), but he couldn't pay for one so he went without. He couldn't just show up at the local ER and ask for one.

• Members

In theory... Usually takes a class action suit before it gets anywhere.

No, not in theory. It happens all the time. It's a hard way to have to go about it, but at least with insurance companies you have that option.

When the goverment says no, well that's just tough titty.

• Members

That's what scares me about socialized health care in this country. I don't know of too many social programs that the Federal government has been able to run well without being incompetent and wasteful. If we had national health care, I wouldn't be surprised if it tanked within a few years. Heck, Medicare is already on the verge of bankruptcy. It's been borrowing from the general fund for a while now.

Government incompetence and waste are not the reasons why Medicare is in it's current financial situation.

• CMS Author

Everyone should be frightened to know that healthcare is now 1/7 of the American economy.
:eek:

As for this thread, some of you guys might
feel
like pulling your teeth out after we elect Hillary, but that's as relevant as it gets.

Nothing to see but more fear mongering from Chris Dax.
:rolleyes:

I like his style, though. "Elect Hillary and you're going to be pulling your own teeth out! Ouch!":D

Your style of characterizing the thread as "fear mongering" is no less impressive.

Archived