New Bass: Help Me Decide

Thunderbroom

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The BC Rich any day. With the questionable pup and control layout on that ESP, I'd even have to play it and hear it myself before I put any money into it. And I wouldn't worry about the black Mockingbird lacking ANY impact. At all. Ever. A bass that non-standard will turn more heads than any tele bass any day, and that one looks great in black. :thu:

• Members

I think that's the Schaeller straplock on the strap.

Looks like it. The strap button on the bass looks like a Shcaller. Seems like the strap is just lying close to the body there. I doubt it is actually screwed into the top edge of the bass :p

• Members

Looks like it. The strap button on the bass looks like a Shcaller. Seems like the strap is just lying close to the body there. I doubt it is actually screwed into the top edge of the bass
:p

Yeah more I look I 'm sure that's it, but I still have to wonder. With basses like this one, it could've been someone's attempt to change the way the bass balances.:cool:

• Members

Greetings,

Gotta let you know I owned a neck thru mockingbird at one time, had emg's, sounded good, looked great but it was very neck heavy. I eventually figured out that while standing, I was holding the bass up with either my left palm, or my right forearm, neither of which was acceptable.........I tried different straps but nothing really helped.

So...the bass had to go :cry:

• Members

If you have to get one, get the Mockingbird. Tele bodies on basses have yet to work for me. Especially with a P pup on there. :confused:

Plus it sounds like you're getting more value for the same price than with the ESP, and from a forumite, no less.

But I voted NOTA because I thought you already had some ace gear and one thought is to add some more dough to a nice family vacation, children's education, whatever... :confused:

• Members

But I voted NOTA because I thought you already had some ace gear and one thought is to add some more dough to a nice family vacation, children's education, whatever...
:confused:

I'm using gig money for this. I've got about $1k left in the slush fund.

As you likely know, I work full-time and run a consulting business on the side. My wife and kids are well taken care of. This is me taking care of me.

• Members

I'm leaning towards NOTA.

How about this idea...

Skip these, and continue to rake in gig money. Start to compile specs on what you like of all the basses you've played. Things like which one had the easiest playing neck, and record the specs like nut width, bridge spacing, scale length, thickness, wood types, fret profiles, anything. Same for body shapes, pickup qualities, finishes, electronics, everything. When you get through all of that look it all over and see if you can describe the perfect bass for your hands, ears and eyes. That will take some time! Then when you can answer that question look at having a bass made for you. And before you say you'd never spend that much on a bass just think about the idea. There is nothing better than an instrument you willed into being for your own purposes, that looks and plays just like you want it to. By the time you're ready for that you'll have a lot more gig cash and some of these things are not as much as you'd think they are. Just a thought.:cool:

Archived