Can you live off half your current salary?

I stink at bass

• Members

I am approaching 20 years at my current job, which means that I can retire. Only problem is that I will only get 50% of my current salary. I am single with no kids, and a girlfriend who makes just as much, if not more, than I do. If I stay, I can make as much as 76%, but i have to stay 33 years for that. It just doesn't seem worth it to me. I also have my part-time personal training/coaching thing which brings in some additional income, but not enough to make up that 50%. What would you do?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am approaching 20 years at my current job, which means that I can retire...What would you do?

If you love your job, then might as well stick around. Not just for the money, but what else are you going to do to fill your days?

If you're dissatisfied with your job, then just grab your 50% and GTFO of there. You'll have enough money coming in that you can pursue other career goals, even if they don't pay all that well.

Emre

• Members
If you love your job, then might as well stick around. Not just for the money, but what else are you going to do to fill your days?

If you're dissatisfied with your job, then just grab your 50% and GTFO of there. You'll have enough money coming in that you can pursue other career goals, even if they don't pay all that well.

Emre

Actually, I love my job as a firefighter. Only 9 days a month, but the older I get, the more chance of seriously injuring myself. I would like to be able to enjoy the retired life HEALTHY. For those of you who do not know, the AVERAGE lifespan of a retired firefighter is only 5.9 years.

• Members

If you enjoy what you do, keep at it. Otherwise, you need to look at your cost of living and see if you could realistically cut back to where you'd still feel comfortable at half that. What would you do with your time after 'retirement?' How would it effect your living expenses? For example, you'd still have some source of income, but along with that comes commuting & other expenses to do that.

• Members

I can, and did for many years... but it was tight and cause for a lot of stress.

Do you like your job? If so, sure, stay. If not, would it be possible for you to quit, get pension, then go work somewhere else for what you were making before (if not more)?

Then you'd be making 150%, SX's for everybody! :D

• Members

I guess I probably could at the moment, but any luxuries or new basses or equipment would be out. I live at home with my parents now, I did move out but moved back in March so I could change jobs easily, I'm there 6 months now so its time to look for somewhere to rent. I definitely couldn't rent on half my salary.

• Members

Actually, I love my job as a firefighter. Only 9 days a month, the AVERAGE lifespan of a retired firefighter is only 5.9 years.

so u only really work a third of the year. Thats awsome. i would stick it out another ten or so years, that extra .26% could mean way less worries. why not stick it out until u can't stand it or you know its the right time. my 2cents.

to make that lifespan quote more interesting, i wonder what the AVERAGE retire age is for those firefighters?

Archived