Can you live off half your current salary?

I stink at bass

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Keep in mind that your expenses would probably be lower if you retired. I know that if I quit right now, and didn't try to live the same way, my expenses would be a lot lower: I would buy less gas for the car, eat out a lot less often, buy fewer clothes, have lower or no dry cleaning bills, etc. If I were you, I would retire and take the 50% and find another job, maybe part-time, to make up some of the gap. 20 years of anything is plenty.

• Members

Actually, I love my job as a firefighter. Only 9 days a month, but the older I get, the more chance of seriously injuring myself. I would like to be able to enjoy the retired life HEALTHY. For those of you who do not know, the AVERAGE lifespan of a retired firefighter is only 5.9 years.

is promotion an option? Not sure where you are in the rank structure, but moving up to driver or LT would take some of the physical work off your back. What about staff positions? I know it's not as fun as operations, but it might make life easier. Does your department offer a drop if you work a few more years? If so, you could invest that and have the interest as supplemental income...

• Members

They give you more money if you stay longer, because you will die sooner and receive fewer payments.

I'll face the same decision in a few months. My wife was recently given the pink slip with a seperation package so i'll have to stay for at least 3 more years. If you have a dangerous job working strange hours, it makes the decision more difficult. When I started my job years ago, There was an instructor who retired after more than 30 years of service. He died less than a year later. I say the earlier the better. I know guys who say that once the retire from the aforementioned type job, it's like a weight has been lifted off of them.

• Members
is promotion an option? Not sure where you are in the rank structure, but moving up to driver or LT would take some of the physical work off your back. What about staff positions? I know it's not as fun as operations, but it might make life easier. Does your department offer a drop if you work a few more years? If so, you could invest that and have the interest as supplemental income...

Yes, we do have a 3 year drop! I am going to see what our new contract looks like. If it's worth another three years, I'll stay, if not, I ll go into the drop next year.

Archived