Possibly looking for a new cab...help!

guitargod0dmw

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i love my HT-112, but if you use a lot of bass boost or low B, you're asking for trouble. it's a single 12...

It's also a much smaller cab than the Aggie single 12, for example, so the cab isn't tuned quite as low. The Aggie has double tube ports as well.

The Berg is too smooth a sound for him anyway.

I would also consider Boogie's 12's. I know them with an SVT will give you the sound you want.

Genz Benz's 12's come to mind as well. Their new 2x12 design offers fab portability, and they're neo drivers as well.

• Members

He hasn't gotten back to me yet...bastage!

What about Bag End? Anybody play those guys?

Yeah he was flaky-ish when I was talking to him about it too, unfortunately!

I know James Hart is getting some or may have already gotten his BE's in.

• Moderators
Thats just funny on so many levels!
:)

Well, I'm trying to remember if I've ever played through Neo drivers. Does anybody have any input of differences in sound from "regular" speakers???

A magnet is a magnet. The only difference is in the driver design itself. There is no inherent magnet tone any more than there is an inherent tone to the color of your bass.

• Members

Neos I've played-

Accugroove Whappo Jr. - top 2 cab I've ever had. Awesome tone, punch, lows, etc.. Their best cab, IME.

Schroeder 210212L - see explanation earlier in thread

Mesa Powerhouse 212 - with a weight of 76lbs, it's hard to believe it's neo-equipped, but has zero probs w/ a Q5's low B, and very throaty and filling. Haven't gigged it yet, but I'm damn excited to! :)

As far as overall "tone" goes, I just don't hear much of a difference. Others say they do/have, but not to me.

• Members

A magnet is a magnet. The only difference is in the driver design itself. There is no inherent magnet tone any more than there is an inherent tone to the color of your bass.

I guess I've just read a few observations from other folks and was wondering if there was any merit to what they said. I think it was something like Neo was cleaner, and almost lifeless...

Oh...I've played Neo...Markbass! I hated their cabs!!! I assume that not all Neo equipped cabs sound like theirs???

• Members
I guess I've just read a few observations from other folks and was wondering if there was any merit to what they said. I think it was something like Neo was cleaner, and almost lifeless...

Oh...I've played Neo...Markbass! I hated their cabs!!! I assume that not all Neo equipped cabs sound like theirs???

No merit from what I can tell. My 212 can get as raunchy as you could possibly want when you crank the Gain and put some drive into it! :thu:

I played a full MB setup at GC once too, and left unfulfilled.

• Moderators
"tube watts vs solid state watts"

"cables"

...and now THIS!
:D

:freak:

Good point actually. There can be differences in all three of those situations, but the lack of understanding of the concepts at issue by the average musician makes meaningful discussion of the differences very difficult.

:D

• Members

The REALITY is neo equipped cabinets often sound different than the ceramic equipped cabinets in the same line. The causation is not the magnets though, it is the driver design AND there is no reason to expect consistency in the variation between driver designs.

I guess I'll have to try out a few and see what I like better. I've got some vacation in a month...so heading to NYC specifically to do this sounds like a very real possibility. I just gotta find dealers that have what I'm interested in first...

• Members

But I wonder if that DB sound is what I want? Especially with the mid hump. I really just want something that slices through the mix but still has all that low end nut to back it up.

I was looking at Avatar too...as I've heard more good things than I care to remember about them...but I'm not too sure.

I'll check out the Vader. I've never heard of them...or who uses them. EDIT...Death Metal bands apparently.

yo man, there is a db410 used at bass central atm... I was even considering buying it!

• Moderators
Also...if I could do it all with 1 4X10, 1 2X12, or a similar sized cab...I'd be a happy man.

Perhaps I missed the post poopooing these cabs, but I'm not quite sure why the Genz Benz Neox-212T isn't on your radar screen. Have you tried it and didn't care for it? 62 lbs. and no problem with the low B. It is not mid-scooped or bass heavy by design. For me it delivers smooth response with just a hint of aggressiveness and handles the M-Pulse 600 like a champ. I don't play 5vers, though, so I can't tell you how it handles the low B in a high volume situation. T-Broom is running a GBE600 through his and tunes BEAD.

• Moderators

Perhaps I missed the post poopooing these cabs, but I'm not quite sure why the Genz Benz Neox-212T isn't on your radar screen. Have you tried it and didn't care for it? 62 lbs. and no problem with the low B. It is not mid-scooped or bass heavy by design. For me it delivers smooth response with just a hint of aggressiveness and handles the M-Pulse 600 like a champ. I don't play 5vers, though, so I can't tell you how it handles the low B in a high volume situation. T-Broom is running a GBE600 through his and tunes BEAD.

That cabinet is terrifically designed. Compared to the cabinets that I prefer, it has a pronounced low mid bump that gives a really thick and meaty tone. It also has a tweeter that can give you the sizzle you might look for. However, with the tweeter off, the cabinet still functions admirably as a single cabinet solution for most player's needs.

• Members

So, can you explain why you didn't like the neo drivers as much?

I guess I'll have to try out a few and see what I like better. I've got some vacation in a month...so heading to NYC specifically to do this sounds like a very real possibility. I just gotta find dealers that have what I'm interested in first...

Could have been cabinet construction, or the drivers, or anything really. It was loud, punchy, and for a rock setting, and a 4 string bass, it would have delivered big time. The Flea 5 just was a perfect match for the cab, whereas the Q5 was suited to the Whappo a lot better.

I just couldn't handle the low B of my Q's dropping off so sharply. With time as the drivers got worn in, prolly would have been better, but I wasn't going to take the chance.

• Members

What you seek is the Bergantino NV610.

Be warned that the cab likes power... it will sound weaker if you don't apply the rated power to it. However, since you've just purchased a GK 2001RB, bridge it up and you're ready to go.

You really need to play it in a band situation also to see the real magic of the cab. It cuts through so well without being harsh or losing low end. It's the first tweeterless cab that I've loved.

If you can find a friend who's got one that you can borrow for practice, that would really ice the deal for you in my mind. If you were close by, I'd hook you up but it's a bit of a drive from LA to CT!

I may have an audience recording of the GK/Berg rig from a recent show, if that would help give an idea. It would be bootleg quality, but it would give you a rough idea. But I will say that I play rock/heavy stuff, and I've tried a lot of things over the past year and the GK/Berg won out over everything else, including cabs that I've been using for almost 10 years that were my "go-to" cabs.

• Moderators

What you seek is the Bergantino NV610.

Be warned that the cab likes power... it will sound weaker if you don't apply the rated power to it. However, since you've just purchased a GK 2001RB, bridge it up and you're ready to go.

You really need to play it in a band situation also to see the real magic of the cab. It cuts through so well without being harsh or losing low end. It's the first tweeterless cab that I've loved.

If you can find a friend who's got one that you can borrow for practice, that would really ice the deal for you in my mind. If you were close by, I'd hook you up but it's a bit of a drive from LA to CT!

I may have an audience recording of the GK/Berg rig from a recent show, if that would help give an idea. It would be bootleg quality, but it would give you a rough idea. But I will say that I play rock/heavy stuff, and I've tried a lot of things over the past year and the GK/Berg won out over everything else, including cabs that I've been using for almost 10 years that were my "go-to" cabs.

I should clarify my post above regarding Bergantino. When I said they weren't what you are looking for, I was not referring to the new vintage series 6x10 and 2x15. I have not played the NV610, but I believe that Phantasm's suggestion is a good one.

• Members

Oy! The list goes on and on! At least Berg is less than 2 hours drive from here. Maybe I can go to them just to see what all the fuss is about. Whether they work for me or not...I'd be interested in hearing them.

But trust me... you really need to hear this one in practice, with the band to hear the magic! I almost boxed it back up and put it back on the market for sale thinking that it was plain jane until I brought it to practice.

• Moderators
But trust me... you really need to hear this one in practice, with the band to hear the magic! I almost boxed it back up and put it back on the market for sale thinking that it was plain jane until I brought it to practice.

Based on its response curves (and field reports from the cabinet owners), it is the cabinet equivalent of a Pbass. :cool:

Archived