Possibly looking for a new cab...help!

guitargod0dmw

• Members

Ok...so I had my first practice with the 2001 last night. I had it plugged in to my beloved GS410 + GS115 stack. It was super bassy, but not as defined as I like. My drummer mentioned it to. I tried cutting the bass and boosting the mids, then boosting the highs, then boosting mids & highs on the bass...but no luck. I'm thinking about looking for a new cab.

It must:

Be able to handle a low B like a champion

Punch like Tyson. I'm thinking 10's are needed somewhere in it...

Handle a {censored}load of power. The GK put down 1080w @ 4 ohms

Would be nice if it was small and light

Otherwise...anything is game. Price isn't an issue. Metal is the music...and if you need to put a tone into your head, Justin Chancellor is as close as it gets. So far here are my choices, but I'm not limited to them...

Schroeder 21012R (anybody play one? I'm kinda looking at the Neo...and it sounds promising)

Mesa of some sort.

Accugroove

Acme

Bergantino

Aggie DB series

HELP!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd vote against the DB series. They have a vintage tone to me compared to the GSs.

I can't believe the GS410 sounded like that. Wierd.

I use an Avatar 410 Neo in my death metal band, and it cuts like nothing else I've ever played. I only go down to D though, so I personally can't speak for/against it's ability to handle the B. Sorry.

Also, you REALLY should check out Vader cabinets.

• Members

I'd vote against the DB series. They have a vintage tone to me compared to the GSs.

I can't believe the GS410 sounded like that. Wierd.

I use an Avatar 410 Neo in my death metal band, and it cuts like nothing else I've ever played. I only go down to D though, so I personally can't speak for/against it's ability to handle the B. Sorry.

Also, you REALLY should check out Vader cabinets.

But I wonder if that DB sound is what I want? Especially with the mid hump. I really just want something that slices through the mix but still has all that low end nut to back it up.

I was looking at Avatar too...as I've heard more good things than I care to remember about them...but I'm not too sure.

I'll check out the Vader. I've never heard of them...or who uses them. EDIT...Death Metal bands apparently.

• Members

I would be most inclined to try out a Schro. It didn't work for me for an intimate setting, but in a dense heavy rock type setting, I can see where the hype might be coming from. The Acme's will certainly use that headroom, and sound great doing it as well. Their sound comes across to my ears as more balanced and might not work quite as well in your setting.

• Members

I would be most inclined to try out a Schro

I would love to...but nobody carries them around here. I also just found the 310212...it looks damn cool, but it also looks like they don't make them anymore.

I forgot to mention Eden as well...

So here's another debate entirely: Speakers...Neo or Regular? What's the difference? Will Neo work for me?

I would head to the store and just try all of this stuff out, but nobody carries any of this stuff. The only store that did is closing up shop...and I think they only had the Aggie & Eden anyways...

• Members

1. The Schro 21012R you're looking at is going to be nice. Powered by the GK, you're gonna get heard, and they sound dang nice too.

2. After getting my Powerhouse 212 in, man, it's about as authoritative as you can get. I HIGHLY recommend them, and I'd suggest either a 212x2 setup or a 410+212 Powerhouse setup with that GK. You should tear down walls. :thu:

• Members

You had a Schro right? Which one? Did you like it? Explain!

I've had a few-

1210R

410R

1210R (again)

210212L

Of the 3/4, the 410R was my fave, and bbl is keeping his for good reason, even over the Aggy GS412. The 210212L was my least, believe it or not. Granted it didn't get a lot of wear-in time, as it was brand new, but I didn't like the neo drivers as much. The R-line isn't overly heavy, and to my ears worth the extra pounds. And I was A/B'ing at the time with a Whappo, and with the Quantum 5 the Accu sounded better, but with the Flea 5 the Schro sounded better. Each is just voiced for different things.

I've only heard the 21012R a few times, but it's at the top right with or after the 410R. And it plays pretty well with the Q5, I must say! :thu:

But I was actually going to buy that 21012R before I scored my new Mesas, so that tells you where I stand with that cab. :)

• Members

What didn't you like about the 210212, and why didn't you like the Neo's?

I just found the 310212 on Bass Central's site...and it's pretty cool. But I can't spend that kind of money without hearing it first. Sucks!

I'd love to get an all in one type of option, so the PH1000 is also on my list...but that thing is a beast. Especially since I'd want to RR cab...

• Members

What didn't you like about the 210212, and why didn't you like the Neo's?

I just found the 310212 on Bass Central's site...and it's pretty cool. But I can't spend that kind of money without hearing it first. Sucks!

I'd love to get an all in one type of option, so the PH1000 is also on my list...but that thing is a beast. Especially since I'd want to RR cab...

Well to be honest, when they said it's got a 40hz drop off, there's just no way. Again, that may be the drivers or may be the cab design itself, but we're talking closer to 50's, if I had to guess. The B string on the Q5 pretty much dropped off big time when I'd play it heavy, or boost the bass at all, and even on the Flea 5's B it struggled. So, knowing what you play it may not be the best route, at least IME.

The Powerhouse drivers OTOH, at least on the 212, just are awesome. No problems at all bringing the thunder and punch at the same time.

• Members

I drove over 400 miles to hear my li'l Bergie.
;)

I've only played one Bergie-

Was an IP112. My Q5 almost blew the driver it was farting so bad! The guy had an external Fishman preamp driving it, and yeah- I felt bad b/c I knew how expensive it was. Luckily we only played 30 mins and he didn't stick around to hear us open! ;)

• Members

Someone here was mentioning selling their GS412. I would put that first on the list to try for the kind of music you're describing. Of all the cabs I've played, the 12's seem to have the gut punch/cut ratio nailed down the best for heavy rock, but that's just a very general opinion.

• Members

Someone here was mentioning selling their GS412. I would put that first on the list to try for the kind of music you're describing. Of all the cabs I've played, the 12's seem to have the gut punch/cut ratio nailed down the best for heavy rock, but that's just a very general opinion.

p212_y.jpg

12's are where it's at! :thu:

Or 4 of these could be cool-

wke12_ct.jpg

;)

• Members

I've only played one Bergie-

Was an IP112. My Q5 almost blew the driver it was farting so bad! The guy had an external Fishman preamp driving it, and yeah- I felt bad b/c I knew how expensive it was. Luckily we only played 30 mins and he didn't stick around to hear us open!
;)

i love my HT-112, but if you use a lot of bass boost or low B, you're asking for trouble. it's a single 12.

now, get a pair of them, or an IP212 and the equation changes. like RSB, i'm pretty committed to the idea of 12s being ideal in many ways. just about any 12 is a good starting place.

robb.

• Members

I'm not sure the GS line is what I want, since I already own all of the others. Heck...if I got that 4X12, I'd have every cab in the GS line except for the 2X10!

I'm also not sure about the 12's...but I need to go and try some stuff out just to hear them all.

I think this is going to be a long and drawn out process. I don't want to buy another cab after this!

• Moderators

Schroeder 21012R (anybody play one? I'm kinda looking at the Neo...and it sounds promising)

Mesa of some sort.

Accugroove

Acme

Bergantino

Aggie DB series

Are you sure nothing is wrong with the cabinets and/or your amp?

Based on your description you do not want Accugroove, Acme or Bergantino. I'm surprised that the Aggies aren't doing it for you. I'd also follow L-1329's suggestion regarding 12s and, more specifically, look at some older SWR 12s. :thu:

• Members

Are you sure nothing is wrong with the cabinets and/or your amp?

Based on your description you do not want Accugroove, Acme or Bergantino. I'm surprised that the Aggies aren't doing it for you. I'd also follow L-1329's suggestion regarding 12s and, more specifically, look at some older SWR 12s.
:thu:

I pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the amp or cabs. I've always read that the Aggie GS's were bass/high heavy sounding and were missing it in the mids.

When I said it was bass heavy, I didn't mean like dub bass type heavy...just more than usual. The Mesa M2K is a little light on the bass anyways, and that is what I have been using lately.

I had an SWR 12 stack, but I didn't like it. I'm not really a fan of SWR. After I read more about the Accugroove, I kinda kicked them out too.

Also...if I could do it all with 1 4X10, 1 2X12, or a similar sized cab...I'd be a happy man.

• Members

I'm not sure the GS line is what I want, since I already own all of the others. Heck...if I got that 4X12, I'd have every cab in the GS line except for the 2X10!

I'm also not sure about the 12's...but I need to go and try some stuff out just to hear them all.

Try not to prejudge a cab just based on it's product line. I have a couple of SWR 12" cabs that sound absolutely nothing like anything else SWR made, that kick all kinds of ass for heavy gut punching rock. I've never heard the GS412 but I can't imagine that a staggard layout 412 would sound anything like their 410. Sure wish I could try one out to see! I would look at some kind of 2x212 setup if it were me, easier to carry, and still carries the low lows with authority and power. :cool:

edit: whoa, just read the preceeding post. If you had a 12 stack and didn't think it works for the music you're describing, are you SURE you're issue is not your amp? The 12 stack was purpose built for grunt, killer lows and punch, and it kills for that...

• Moderators

I pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the amp or cabs. I've always read that the Aggie GS's were bass/high heavy sounding and were missing it in the mids.

When I said it was bass heavy, I didn't mean like dub bass type heavy...just more than usual. The Mesa M2K is a little light on the bass anyways, and that is what I have been using lately.

I had an SWR 12 stack, but I didn't like it. I'm not really a fan of SWR. After I read more about the Accugroove, I kinda kicked them out too.

Also...if I could do it all with 1 4X10, or 1 2X12...I'd be a happy man.

I see. With that info, I would not be surprised at all if you really liked the Schroeders. There is only one way to tell. :poke:

Archived