Possibly looking for a new cab...help!

guitargod0dmw

• Members

I read a lot about Avatars, the 2x12 and the 4x10 neos are what interested me. I wanted to try the 4x10 (because it is supposed to go deeper) but when an almost new 2x12 came available on Craigslist for cheap, I bought it.

I couldn't be happier. I mainly play 5 string and it goes all the way down nicely. We used my rig at a musicians get-together last summer and when another bass player was using it I suddenly realized how nice it sounded. Then when bass players and even party-goers - UNSOLICITED - commented on the sound, I realized I had something there.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
They make my face hurt! In a good way.

:evil:

It's interesting that I would describe these cabs exactly as you have described the GB 212, they may be similar in tone. The SWR's might have a little more aggressive cut to them. Either way, if the OP didn't like the SWR's he had, I'm not sure he'd like the Genz either. I still say his issue is amp tone rather than cabs.

• Members
:evil:

It's interesting that I would describe these cabs exactly as you have described the GB 212, they may be similar in tone. The SWR's might have a little more aggressive cut to them. Either way, if the OP didn't like the SWR's he had, I'm not sure he'd like the Genz either. I still say his issue is amp tone rather than cabs.

I'm just particular I guess...me and one of my guitarists. You should watch us methodically tweak away when something is wrong. He is much worse than I am though!

• Members
I'm just particular I guess...me and one of my guitarists. You should watch us methodically tweak away when something is wrong. He is much worse than I am though!

If you have a guitarist that actually knows how to mold his tone to the situation, count yourself lucky!:p

• Members
If you have a guitarist that actually knows how to mold his tone to the situation, count yourself lucky!
:p

One of them does. The other one has no clue...and he usually steps on my toes...but we both overpower him. He really has no idea about EQ, or what things sound like in a band environment. He'll get a decent tone by himself, but once we all play he quickly gets dropped tot he bottom and is barely heard. We try to talk to him, but he doesn't listen very well either.

He even refuses to down tune, even though there is a section on a new song that really calls for a low D. He plays the lowest D he can get (5th fret on the A string) and it sounds like ass. The other guitard (the good one) plays it in drop D to meet me on the low. We me and him play it...it sounds killer...but once the other steps in...it sounds like a sonic mishmash of {censored}. It's annoying!

Archived