OT: PS3 or Xbox 360??

willsellout

• Members

But that's how they have em in stock. They keep a little pile of consoles for bundle-only deals so people will get desperate and grab up with the add-ons... How badly do you want one? :D

And yeah, manufacturers normally don't make money off the consoles themselves... It's the damn $50 extra controllers and $60 games and monthly subscriptions and ugh.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Also remember some places will let you return the games that came with the bundle. Do a few searches on Slickdeals, people do that all the time. I don't believe Best Buy will let you but I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart and Circuit City do.

If you're definitely going for the Wii, while you're waiting, pick up a few games and controllers when they go on sale. Toys R Us a week ago had a "buy 2 get 1 free" game sale for the Wii, and a day before that they had Super Mario Galaxy for $50 with a free $25 gift card. So I bought SMG, used the $25 gift card in the 3-for-2 sale the next day, and essentially got four games for $125 -- about thirty bucks each... can't beat that. Lots of people bought two copies of Wii Play and got one free, that's three controllers (since a controller comes with Wii Play) for $100 and you can turn around and sell two of the copies of Wii Play on eBay for about $15 each... $70 for 3 controllers is a hell of a deal.

• Members

Also remember some places will let you return the games that came with the bundle. Do a few searches on Slickdeals, people do that all the time. I don't believe Best Buy will let you but I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart and Circuit City do.

If you're definitely going for the Wii, while you're waiting, pick up a few games and controllers when they go on sale. Toys R Us a week ago had a "buy 2 get 1 free" game sale for the Wii, and a day before that they had Super Mario Galaxy for $50 with a free $25 gift card. So I bought SMG, used the $25 gift card in the 3-for-2 sale the next day, and essentially got four games for $125 -- about thirty bucks each... can't beat that. Lots of people bought two copies of Wii Play and got one free, that's three controllers (since a controller comes with Wii Play) for $100 and you can turn around and sell two of the copies of Wii Play on eBay for about $15 each... $70 for 3 controllers is a hell of a deal.

What he said... You can get some really sweet deals or ideas on how to work the system of you pay attention to slickdeals, fatwallet, anandtech, etc...

EB-Games was having a 2-for-1 sale when I went in after buying my xbox 360 at best buy... I Got a few sweet games that way, all used... so it was an even better deal.

• Members

I have both a Wii and a 360. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the Wii. There's just so much cool stuff built into it, and it is a great party system. You've got all the classics available through Virtual console and it also plays all Game Cube games (as opposed to the 360 which only plays some Xbox games).

As far as between PS3 and 360, I'd take 360. PS3 seems to still be too damn expensive. And there are very few good exclusive games to the PS3.

• Members

Prospective Wii purchaser here...for the kids...for Christmas.

I get really irritated that each and every year the thing(s) my daughters want are completely unavailable.

...or full of lead based paint...

:mad:

They are available you just have to call around and see when the shipments come in.

Dan

• Members

Prospective Wii purchaser here...for the kids...for Christmas.

I get really irritated that each and every year the thing(s) my daughters want are completely unavailable.

...or full of lead based paint...

:mad:

Man...will you be my dad?

I want an X2 rackmount wireless and a Peterson Stroborack for my birthday and Christmas! hahahahahah

• Members

I used this site to get my wii:

http://www.outtastock.com/wii/

I got one of the bundles, and traded all the games I didn't want to walmart for games I did want. Just check the site a couple of times every day, and jump on it when the little red thingies are green.

They apparently have a new shipment every day at the Nintendo store in Manhattan, but the line starts at 5 am. It's unbelievable.

• Members

And as a general advice for choosing among the three current-gen consoles, it REALLY comes down to which games you want to play. Just look at the exclusives on each console:

Xbox360:

- Halo

- Bioshock

- Mass Effect

- Gears of War

- Project Gotham Racing

etc.

Ps3:

- Gran Turismo

- Metal Gear Solid

- Warhawk

- Uncharted

- Killzone

- Ratchet & Clank

etc.

Wii:

Super Mario Galaxy

Metroid

Zelda

Smash Bros

the whole Wii remote control system

etc.

Whichever of these three lists looks the most appealing to you will tell you which system is the right one for you. Don't get caught up on technical processor specs, graphics, features, ports, numbers and all that jazz. ALL THREE CONSOLES ARE GOOD SYSTEMS. Whichever one has the games that you enjoy will be the system that you will have the most fun with.

• Members

Yeah.....but good luck getting a Wii!!!They're sold out till EAAAAAAAAYYYYY into the next Millenium. When my store gets them, they sell out in 30 to 40 minutes.

Really? I can walk into 5 stores here and pick from a stack of them. Maybe I should scoop them up and sell them online.

I saw recent market share comparison between 360, PS3 and Wii. 360 is first, Wii had about 2/5 less than that and PS3 was just under HALF of the Wii. :eek: I dare say it's a doomed console already. It's sales figures drop by the month where Wii and 360 continue to thrive.

I was about to make a comment on reliability, but I will do a search first, then make a new post if I don't see what I am looking for. I have a (serious) fix for the 360 "red ring of death" that does not involved throwing it away or getting it serviced.

• Members

I found my original Nintendo last week while cleaning up our storage locker. And the Sega Genesis!!!

I'm thinking about hooking them up. Screw the new stuff! I kick ass at Mario.

:cool:

Rock on!! WWWWAAAAAAYYYYY back in the day, I was the first person to ever photograph the high score and mail in the photo to Nintendo Power magazine for Super Mario Bros. I was officially recognized as the first person to ever max out the score. :thu:

• Members

Rock on!! WWWWAAAAAAYYYYY back in the day, I was the first person to ever photograph the high score and mail in the photo to Nintendo Power magazine for Super Mario Bros. I was officially recognized as the first person to ever max out the score.
:thu:

NERD :mad:

Actually, wait... That's awesome :D:thu:

• Members

On the gaming board I frequent, there have been some copy / pastes of sales figures. Here's a clipping of the pertinent section:

October 2007 Hardware Sales

# PlayStation 2 -- 184,000

# PlayStation 3 -- 121,000

# PlayStation Portable -- 286,000

# Xbox 360 -- 366,000

# Wii -- 519,000

# Nintendo DS -- 458,000

September 2007 Hardware Sales

# PlayStation 2 -- 215,000

# PlayStation 3 -- 119,000

# PlayStation Portable -- 284,500

# Xbox 360 -- 527,800 (Halo3 released)

# Wii -- 501,000

# Nintendo DS -- 495,800

The PS3 is still getting outsold by the PS2.

Archived