OT: PS3 or Xbox 360??

willsellout

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just a guess, but I imagine the xbox is due for for an overhaul in the not too distant future. The current crop of xboxes doesn't support directx 10 and a software or firmware upgrade won't do the trick. I expect a new dx10 compatable xbox is already in the works which will obsolete the current consoles.

• Members

Wii as well!

You can get Guitar Hero 3 on the Wii too!

>DDDDDD

Plus.. Zelda: Twilight Princess is AWESOME!!!!!!!

Yeah.....but good luck getting a Wii!!!They're sold out till EAAAAAAAAYYYYY into the next Millenium. When my store gets them, they sell out in 30 to 40 minutes.

• Members

I don't understand people with this logic. I mean, are you actually going to go start buying blu-ray dvd's right now at like $30 a pop? Do you have a large HD-TV? You can't tell the difference on a TV under 50" or something similar.

No I won't buy the DVD's, what I will do is join Blockbuster online which has a ton of BluRay titles..and yes I have a large 56" DLP HDTV with which to watch it. What do you mean you can't tell the difference on something under 50"?

Dan

• Members

No I won't buy the DVD's, what I will do is join Blockbuster online which has a ton of BluRay titles..and yes I have a large 56" DLP HDTV with which to watch it. What do you mean you can't tell the difference on something under 50"?

Dan

On many new digital DVD's, and ESPECIALLY on HD-DVD's, the difference the human eye can tell between them and Blu-ray is either not noticeable, or barely noticeable by the human eye on TV's that are not massive. It cracks me up when people go bonkers over 30" HDTV's that cost 3x as much as a standard flat screen... Come on people, lets use some common sense.

Not trying to dissuade you, just sayin. :)

• Members

At this point the Wii is going to be harder to find since Christmas is coming, but it still shouldn't be too hard. Call Toys R Us on a Sunday and they're virtually guaranteed to have some in stock for at least the first few hours. The longer you wait the tougher it'll be, though. This fact alone should sell the product... it's been out for over a year now and it STILL sells out as soon as shipments arrive, while PS3 stacks have dust on 'em.

If anything I'd go with the 360 over the PS3 only because I can't wait to see Blu-Ray fail the miserable death Sony deserves.

I've played all three systems and my tier would be Wii - 360 - PS3 ... it's worth the wait to get one. Super Mario Galaxy is freaking awesome, GH3 is great (better once they fix the stereo sound issues), and the Virtual Console games just add to it. I'm up to like 16 Wii games at this point, plus about two dozen VC games. Granted none of them have the graphics capabilities of the PS3 or 360, but I don't care... it's a lot of fun to get a group of friends over and rock some Mario Party or Rayman, or something like WarioWare which supports like 16 players. Just picked up Mario & Sonic at the Olympics or whatever it's called and that's fun too (but don't pay full price for it, that might be pushing it).

If you want a high definition player get one of those $100-$200 HD-DVD players that are being sold at places like Wal-Mart and Circuit City lately. Wal-Mart had their secret sale with stacks of them for $99 a few weeks ago. I believe Amazon currently sells 'em for like $189 but you get ten free HD-DVDs.

• Members

... k

On many new digital DVD's, and ESPECIALLY on HD-DVD's, the difference the human eye can tell between them and Blu-ray is either not noticeable, or barely noticeable by the human eye on TV's that are not massive. It cracks me up when people go bonkers over 30" HDTV's that cost 3x as much as a standard flat screen... Come on people, lets use some common sense.

Not trying to dissuade you, just sayin.
:)

My buddy has a smallish HD tv and you can most certainly tell the difference between an HD and regular DVD. I think his is around 36 or so..not sure but we went back and forth and there is more than a perceivable difference. But HD DVD's and BluRay discs are both HD so the difference wouldn't be noticeable between those two I would think. With regular DVD's though it is a very large improvement.

Dan

• Members

At this point the Wii is going to be harder to find since Christmas is coming, but it still shouldn't be too hard. Call Toys R Us on a Sunday and they're virtually guaranteed to have some in stock for at least the first few hours. The longer you wait the tougher it'll be, though. This fact alone should sell the product... it's been out for over a year now and it STILL sells out as soon as shipments arrive, while PS3 stacks have dust on 'em.

If anything I'd go with the 360 over the PS3 only because I can't wait to see Blu-Ray fail the miserable death Sony deserves.

I've played all three systems and my tier would be Wii - 360 - PS3 ... it's worth the wait to get one. Super Mario Galaxy is freaking awesome, GH3 is great (better once they fix the stereo sound issues), and the Virtual Console games just add to it. I'm up to like 16 Wii games at this point, plus about two dozen VC games. Granted none of them have the graphics capabilities of the PS3 or 360, but I don't care... it's a lot of fun to get a group of friends over and rock some Mario Party or Rayman, or something like WarioWare which supports like 16 players. Just picked up Mario & Sonic at the Olympics or whatever it's called and that's fun too (but don't pay full price for it, that might be pushing it).

If you want a high definition player get one of those $100-$200 HD-DVD players that are being sold at places like Wal-Mart and Circuit City lately. Wal-Mart had their secret sale with stacks of them for $99 a few weeks ago. I believe Amazon currently sells 'em for like $189 but you get ten free HD-DVDs.

I'm leaning towards the Wii now...although the only things available are the Wii bundles which run you as much if not more than the PS3. The console's alone are pretty hard to find. I think it's what we are looking for though..I don't care about graphics..I want fun games that me and the wife can play with friends/

Dan

• Members

The Toys R Us near us almost always gets a big ol' stack on Sundays... If you're interested, I'll pick one up for you tomorrow if they get one in and ship it to 'ya for cost plus shipping (which isn't much because we ship FedEx at work... though I'm on the other side of the country from you).

Check your local Sams Club (if you have one, anyway) -- that's where I bought all mine back when they first came out (which eBayed for enough to get me mine for pretty much nothing... gotta love eBay).

• Members

The Toys R Us near us almost always gets a big ol' stack on Sundays... If you're interested, I'll pick one up for you tomorrow if they get one in and ship it to 'ya for cost plus shipping (which isn't much because we ship FedEx at work... though I'm on the other side of the country from you).

Check your local Sams Club (if you have one, anyway) -- that's where I bought all mine back when they first came out (which eBayed for enough to get me mine for pretty much nothing... gotta love eBay).

Why did Jazz Ad edit your post:confused:

Dan

• Members
... k

Not trying to dissuade you, just sayin.
:)

This is just plain Bullsh*t. The difference, on a 26 inch LCD is staggering.

• Members

Ok, I vote Wii or 360.

The PS3 is NOT a good idea. Unless you're ONLY going to use it as a blu-ray player...and that's it. The laser for the BR is actually causing damage to game discs at this point, which is NOT a good thing to have at $60 a pop on games...my 360 I'll admit is a bit noisy, but who uses a 360 quietly anyway? ;) I've played on a Wii and love those as well...and the games for the Wii seem much more fun-based than the 360's action based games...in my experience anyway. But yeah...

• Members

This is just plain Bullsh*t. The difference, on a 26 inch LCD is staggering.

Sorry, no. On a 26" you are not going to tell the different between HDDVD and bluray... Maybe I was unclear in my original post with what I was comparing.

• Members

Sorry, no. On a 26" you are not going to tell the different between HDDVD and bluray... Maybe I was unclear in my original post with what I was comparing.

It was my undrstanding that they are both High Definition formats, so it wouldn't be likely you would see any distinction no matter what the size TV?

Dan

• Members

It was my undrstanding that they are both High Definition formats, so it wouldn't be likely you would see any distinction no matter what the size TV?

Dan

Yeah. I'm sorry, I was actually pretty drunk when I made a lot of my posts yesterday, so let me clarify.

If you want a bluray player then cool, I'm just saying you shouldn't base your decision on that since you're buying it to play video games mainly, right? It's not even known which format is going to be dead/alive in a year... Wouldn't want to be stuck with a sucky system AND a dvd player for a dead format. Bluray IS a better format, it's just a matter of what will be accepted into the market; got lasterdisc?

HDDVD can hold, I believe, 16gb of data as oppose to blurays... 26, 27? There IS a difference, but you have to have like a 55" plasma HD DLP blowjob TV to see any sort of difference. Not like HDDVD's or newer regular digital DVD's look awful on them though, of course...

• Members

Yeah. I'm sorry, I was actually pretty drunk when I made a lot of my posts yesterday, so let me clarify.

If you want a bluray player then cool, I'm just saying you shouldn't base your decision on that since you're buying it to play video games mainly, right? It's not even known which format is going to be dead/alive in a year... Wouldn't want to be stuck with a sucky system AND a dvd player for a dead format. Bluray IS a better format, it's just a matter of what will be accepted into the market; got lasterdisc?

HDDVD can hold, I believe, 16gb of data as oppose to blurays... 26, 27? There IS a difference, but you have to have like a 55" plasma HD DLP blowjob TV to see any sort of difference. Not like HDDVD's or newer regular digital DVD's look awful on them though, of course...

Gotcha..Yeah i'm not all that tech saavy with this stuff thats why I was asking. Anyway, I'm trying to find a Wii in stock. They had some at the local Fred Meyer this morning. They had 8 and 10 people showed up. They were gone in 5 minutes..I just dont get it..it's crazy.

Dan

• Members

Gotcha..Yeah i'm not all that tech saavy with this stuff thats why I was asking. Anyway, I'm trying to find a Wii in stock. They had some at the local Fred Meyer this morning. They had 8 and 10 people showed up. They were gone in 5 minutes..I just dont get it..it's crazy.

Dan

It's been that way since they came out... My second job is right next door to a best buy and people have been out there every single sunday since release. Granted the lines got smaller after a few months, there'd still always be 10-15 people waiting.

Do you plan on buying any games/accessories? There are a lot of crappy bundle deals that are in stock; most people just aren't interested in them. Walmart and ebgames usually have em...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5303671

Looks like eb games is out of their normal bundle, maybe it'll get back in stock...

• Members

It's been that way since they came out... My second job is right next door to a best buy and people have been out there
every single sunday
since release. Granted the lines got smaller after a few months, there'd still always be 10-15 people waiting.

Do you plan on buying any games/accessories? There are a lot of crappy bundle deals that are in stock; most people just aren't interested in them. Walmart and ebgames usually have em...

Looks like eb games is out of their normal bundle, maybe it'll get back in stock...

I've thought about the bundles but they more expensive than if you just bought each item separately..which is weird. From what I hear, stores don't make any money on the console itself so they bundle it with games to make more money. Kinda sucks.

Dan

Archived