OT: PS3 or Xbox 360??

willsellout

• Members

*bump*

Are PS3's getting the same reliability issues as the 360's?

I figure if i'm going to get a blu ray player, it might as well be the PS3 since they are supposedly nicely spec'ed against current stand alone players anyway.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

*bump*

Are PS3's getting the same reliability issues as the 360's?

I figure if i'm going to get a blu ray player, it might as well be the PS3 since they are supposedly nicely spec'ed against current stand alone players anyway.

True enough, and no I haven't heard of any RROD-esque epidemics with PS3s so far. In fact I remember the quality of the preceding Playstations to be really good.... My PSone never broke over probably six years, and I just traded in a 2 year old PS2 that also had flawless performance (not a single ghost in the machine, ever). I played those mofos a lot, too. This is the entire reason why I'm not biased against Sony consoles; the Playstation series has had a tremendous amount of stellar games. I love Super Mario and probably whittled away years of my life on the SNES, but give me a Final Fantasy or Resident Evil 2 or Metal Gear Solid any day of the week.

I think the 40 gigs start at $400 now? A little cheaper than they were....

• Members

I was about to make a comment on reliability, but I will do a search first, then make a new post if I don't see what I am looking for. I have a (serious) fix for the 360 "red ring of death" that does not involved throwing it away or getting it serviced.

We recently suffered the 3 blinking red lights of doom, and Microsoft did a warranty repair, and guaranteed the replacement with a 3 year warranty for that. There were also letters on the xbox 360 saying that they'd fix these as they happen, not really a "warranty period" issue, IIRC. The point is, they sent us the box to ship it in, returned one to us (not our original, but you keep the hard drive when you send it), and are standing behind the replacement.:thu:

• Members

We recently suffered the 3 blinking red lights of doom, and Microsoft did a warranty repair, and guaranteed the replacement with a 3 year warranty for that. There were also letters on the xbox 360 saying that they'd fix these as they happen, not really a "warranty period" issue, IIRC. The point is, they sent us the box to ship it in, returned one to us (not our original, but you keep the hard drive when you send it), and are standing behind the replacement.
:thu:

It's not like MS has the choice to do anything else, though, lest their sales numbers get {censored}ed. The return policy is smooth, but two years after the system releases and there's still major manufacturing defects? Jesus H. Christ.

I'm just wondering if it's worth buying used or not...

Since they can't be more than about a year old, age isn't much of a factor. I don't suppose buying used is much of a problem, provided the seller is reputable and has plenty of pics, blah blah blah.

The PS3 will inevitably gain a better game lineup over 2008 and 2009. Right now it's decent.

And yes, I own a 360 but not a PS3, so in D&D terms I'm a true neutral.......... Just if anyone wants to know. :idk:

Archived