For all of you feeling your Christmas is being usurped by others...

bassman1956

• Members
Close...It's noted in Acts that the people in Antioch were the first to be called Christians. It's mentioned in connection with Barnabas bringing Saul (later Paul) from Tarsus to Antioch...

And yeah, Christian literally means "Little Christ" (so I guess when Jesus was a kid, he could have been called that
:D
)

Shouldn't you be out LARPing somewhere right now Mr. Sunday School?

:p

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How is the tree inspired by or taken directly from Christianity? In fact, other than the name, I can't think of anything about Christmas that wasn't taken from some other, previously existing tradition.

The tree itself is another usurped pre-Christian Pagan tradition.

• Members
Close...It's noted in Acts that the people in Antioch were the first to be called Christians. It's mentioned in connection with Barnabas bringing Saul (later Paul) from Tarsus to Antioch...

And yeah, Christian literally means "Little Christ" (so I guess when Jesus was a kid, he could have been called that
)

Except when Jesus was little, he wasn't "Christ" (that is, crucified) yet, nor was that destiny expected / known.

• Moderators

Nope. Notice I wrote, "...or inspired by". There are certain specific things that we can point to as being the first in the line of tradition and, in this case, it's the fir tree. Before that, there were sacred oaks.

Adapted from is not the same as inspired by. And check out the fir tree in the image "Dionysis in his Triumphant Return" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree

• Members

Except when Jesus was little, he wasn't "Christ" (that is, crucified) yet, nor was that destiny expected / known.

Christ means "annointed", not crucified.

And considering that prior to the Birth of Christ, the Angel Gabriel told Mary:

"Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end."

And the message to the Shepherds at Jesus' birth was:

"Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."

(Not to mention Zechariah's prophesy about his own son John preparing the way for the Christ)

The idea that his destiny was unknown is somewhat untenable...;)

• Moderators

)

Except that Christ was not his name.

• Moderators
Christ means "annointed", not crucified.

And considering that prior to the Birth of Christ, the Angel Gabriel told Mary:

"Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end."

And the message to the Shepherds at Jesus' birth was:

"Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."

(Not to mention Zechariah's prophesy about his own son John preparing the way for the Christ)

The idea that his destiny was unknown is somewhat untenable...
;)

Doesn't it say that she was supposed to name him Emmanuel?

• Members

Doesn't it say that she was supposed to name him Emmanuel?

Christ is a title, not a name. As is Immanuel.

His "name" was Yeshua, and he was The Christ (meaning "The Annointed One"). Immanuel means "God with us" and comes from the Isaiahic prophecy.

As for "christ" as a title, Emperors and Kings through out the Middle Ages were referred to as christs, because they had been anointed upon their ascension to the throne.

• Members

Adapted from is not the same as inspired by. And check out the fir tree in the image "Dionysis in his Triumphant Return" here:

So you're saying that we, in the US, put up fir trees because somebody did a few mosaics of a Roman goddess? Seems like a stretch. Besides, there at least a few coniferous trees, I don't see anything saying that she was carrying a Fir. Knowing very little about the trees in the area, I'm guessing that it was a Cedar that was in the Mosaic.

In the end though, it's another one of those symbol things and, as you know, symbols change over time (swastika anyone?). Not really a big deal from my perspective, it's just interesting to read the history.

• Members

Christ is a title, not a name. As is Immanuel.

His "name" was Yeshua, and he was The Christ (meaning "The Annointed One"). Immanuel means "God with us" and comes from the Isaiahic prophecy.

As for "christ" as a title, Emperors and Kings through out the Middle Ages were referred to as christs, because they had been anointed upon their ascension to the throne.

Finally A follower of Christ who actually knows what they are talking about, Refreshing:)

• Members

As far as I'm concerned this is a pointless and stupid debate. Nobody is stopping anyone from celebrating Christmas, and the last time I checked, the vast majority of people living in North America are people who celebrate it. The number of people who don't, myself included, are a small group.

I am sick and tired of people whining that "their Christmas" is being taken away when EVERYWHERE I look there's wreaths, Christmas music, poinsettias, Christmas shopping, Santa Claus and not to mention, the whole western world still stops on December 25th. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting 157 Christmas related things. A small minority of people who don't celebrate Christmas aren't "taking it away" from anyone.

So frankly, if a few people can't adjust to the fact that there are non-Christmas commemorators out there living among them, too {censored}ing bad. Find something important to worry about instead of the gradual and natural changing of a society who desperately wants December to be stuck in 1910.

• Members

I am sick and tired of people whining that "their Christmas" is being taken away when EVERYWHERE I look there's wreaths, Christmas music, poinsettias, Christmas shopping, Santa Claus and not to mention, the whole western world still stops on December 25th....

(Stolen from Andy Rooney, but I checked and he was right!)

I have 27 Christmas catalogs. 27. Guess what word is not mentioned in any one of them? The word "Christmas."

If we celebrate Christmas, why not call it "Christmas" and not ".....Holidays." We call it "Hanukkah" and "Kwanza," but we must become politically correct and call it "the holidays." Why? Don't minorities (see bikehorn's post) have rights?

Archived