For all of you feeling your Christmas is being usurped by others...

bassman1956

• Members

(insert random inflammatory stuff about this 'christ' dude's birthday being selected to be 12/25 because it coincided with Yule)

Religions are funny. I'm completely anti-christian, anti-catholic, and such but sitll say "Merry Christmas" because, well, it just a word. Not my belief.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Why didn't he just take them outside?

Could be any number of reasons. An hour ago, it was clearing up around here and now the sky is filled with clouds. Could be that the sky clouded over or that he was simply trying to bring a bit of outdoor beauty inside. Beats me but I know that I really dig having a lit Christmas tree in the house.

• Moderators

I guess it depends on whether you're talking about the origins or the symbolism. You'd be hard pressed to find out who made the first wreath -- I'm guessing it was some 14 year old girl who was dragged into a cave by some Cavedude. She was probably just trying to dress up the place with some twigs that were laying by the fire. I think that all we can do is to look at the symbolism and, at that point, I'm not sure that you'll find an absolute right or wrong, just a bunch of guys arguing about which symbolism is best or came first.

You're the one who made the claim:

... many of the traditions, including the Christmas tree, have been inspired or directly taken from Christianity.

Are you backing off from that now?

• Moderators

Could be any number of reasons. An hour ago, it was clearing up around here and now the sky is filled with clouds. Could be that the sky clouded over or that he was simply trying to bring a bit of outdoor beauty inside. Beats me but I know that I really dig having a lit Christmas tree in the house.

So do I. I just don't think there's anything particularly Christian about it, other than the name.

• Members

Otherwise, for me, it's a matter of, "Did you know...?" "No, isn't that interesting!"

It's cool to get to that point. I think that it can be a really difficult thing to do though. We all have our biases and personal beliefs and sometimes, those can be held onto pretty strongly. Saying "Isn't that interesting!", to something that doesn't necessarily go right along with your belief system isn't always an easy thing to do.

• Members

Ugh...As a Born-Again Christian I find the lyrics offensive, and as a musician, I find the song itself nauseating (It sounds like an outtake from DC Talk's first album)...

The song and introductory monologue simultaneously argue that Christmas is an inherently Christian holiday and that Christmas is some wonderful, transcendent thing that everyone should embrace...

Can't have it both ways...

And the reason everyone used to say "Merry Christmas" to everyone else without thinking about it was because (nominally) Christian culture was so dominant that people didn't even bother to think "hey, a Jew might not want to hear me say that to them"...

The only point I'll agree on is the PC issue. Someone being horribly offended by someone else saying "Merry Christmas" is stupid. But so is assuming that everyone around you celebrates the same holiday. Especially in larger urban areas (At UCLA, a student is almost as likely to be celebrating Tet as they are Christmas)...

It seems to me that the best way to handle it if you get a remark about a holiday you don't celebrate would be to recognize the good intent behind it and overlook the incorrect assumption on the part of the well-wisher...

• Members

You're the one who made the claim: Are you backing off from that now?

Nope. Notice I wrote, "...or inspired by". There are certain specific things that we can point to as being the first in the line of tradition and, in this case, it's the fir tree. Before that, there were sacred oaks.

• Members
What kills me is that Jesus wasn't even a Christian.

If he didn't believe in himself enough, why should we?
:p

A Christian is one who tries to imitate Christ. How would it have been possible for Jesus to imitate himself? IIRC, Paul was the first one to be officially called a Christian.

• Members

A Christian is one who tries to imitate Christ. How would it have been possible for Jesus to imitate himself? IIRC, Paul was the first one to be officially called a Christian.

When you say imitate does that mean I should stand up at Christmas dinner and do this...

"Hey. It's really great to be here at the last supper. Good to see so many familiar faces. Hey Judas how 'bout some sugar for the king of kings"

*leans over and presents cheek to Judas*

"Hey Peter. Do you know you and George Bush have the same agenda; deny, deny; deny. Just kidding Peter, denial isn't just a river in Egypt. I kid, I kid. Is this thing on? Wow. I'm dying up here. Well don't worry though I'll be back in three days..."

• Members
IIRC, Paul was the first one to be officially called a Christian.

Close...It's noted in Acts that the people in Antioch were the first to be called Christians. It's mentioned in connection with Barnabas bringing Saul (later Paul) from Tarsus to Antioch...

And yeah, Christian literally means "Little Christ" (so I guess when Jesus was a kid, he could have been called that :D)

• Moderators
It seems to me that the best way to handle it if you get a remark about a holiday you don't celebrate would be to recognize the good intent behind it and overlook the incorrect assumption on the part of the well-wisher...

One of the most worthwhile points I've ever read on HCBF.

• Members

Close...It's noted in Acts that the people in Antioch were the first to be called Christians. It's mentioned in connection with Barnabas bringing Saul (later Paul) from Tarsus to Antioch...

You know, you're right. I was thinking of when Paul was in front of Agrippa.

• Members

The pagan celebration was for the days getting longer. The religious leaders read the sky and determined that the shortest day was upon them. Due to the cloudiness of the European winters they would wait three days to make sure they had it correct. Then they would say for sure that the days were getting longer and have a week long celebration ending with the declaration of the new year.

Archived