Ibanez

W33nie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I say eye-Ban-ez.

I have played a friends ibanez on several different types of music. Some seem to relate them mostly to metal, but it depends on your style, your effects and pedals, etc. They are known more for narrow necks than any certain genre in my book.

Play one, find what you like and go with it. It's all about what feels and sounds right to you.

• Members

My first bass was an Eye Bun Ehz GIO of a sort that they stopped making directly after I bought it, and it was good for both the price and the quality.

I never disliked it, until I played my Jazz. Hell, I didn't change its strings for the first year or so. I guess I'm just not a P-pickup sort of guy, in the end.

And, no, even at my beginning, I really didn't focus on any genre. At all. Played lots of blues, funk, classic rock, pop, attempted some easier jazz, and tons of metal. :)

I bought the bass without ever reading a review or ever playing it, until we got it out of the store, and I still miss it sometimes. :) It wasn't a bad bass. It was a good deal. I doubt that I'd buy another, though, unless it just REALLY spoke to me. I tend to dislike their setups for the most part. They're not bad, they're just not to my taste. Too small, too cramped, too light, too mid-honky, too stuck in modern realms. :p

• Members

I hear that they are for metal heads, is that true? I've seen vids on youtube of people playing some funky stuff like RHCP on an Ibanez

That's just silly. You can play any style on any bass (within reason).

Besides, Ibanez is a huge company that offers everything from total crap beginner basses that you wouldn't want to play if your life depended on it to genuinely high-end, hand-made instruments...like the original Garry Willis signature fretless (which retailed for over $2000 IIRC).

• Members

Ibanez has made many, many different styles of basses over the years and their current selection is still pretty broad. The idea that they're just for metal is false. There's also a lot of truth to the statement that you can play any style of music on any bass.

Play what you like. Screw the rest!

Most people I know pronounce it EYE-buh-nez.

• Members

My first bass was an Ibanez Soundgear, it was pretty smooth but I completely disagree with Ibanez being for metal in general. They have such a wide range of instruments that I find it hard to believe they're only used for metal. I particularly like the BTB series, great for NATURAL bass tone from the woods...one of these days I'll get a prestige version.

Really depends on which model/series you were lookin at

• Members

That's just silly. You can play any style on any bass (within reason).

No doubt. The term "metal bass" always perplexes me. The way I look at it, if I am using it to play metal, then it's a metal bass-whether it's a warlock, an iby, an epi violin bass or an upright.

That said, I have two Iby's-the one in my avatar (Roadstar II RB850 that I bought from our very own Jugghaid) and a BTB 405. Both great basses. The BTB in particular is very versatile. I was flipping through the channels once and there was a dude on the spanish channel in a salsa band that was using my exact model of BTB down to the color.

Just depends on what your needs are...:)

• Members

I got this one a couple of years ago for $100 out the door brand new. My drunken drummer fell on my main bass and really {censored}ered it bad, I'm still working on it. So I started playing this Ibanez about a month ago, did'nt really play it after I bought it. I did a set up and put a new set of medium scale flats on it and I'm very happy with it. Plus I don't have to worry about it getting abused, it's a sturdy build, and cheap as hell.

GAXB150.jpg' alt='>'>

GAXB150body.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

those ATKs are awesome!

i own two sr405s. one fretless and one fretted. they are great basses.

I've got an SR 405, and I think I like it better than my Spector Q5 Pro... It plays every bit as well as the Spector, but the Ibby's 3 band EQ allows for a better sound than I can get from the Spector...

- georgestrings

• Members

I've got an SR 405, and I think I like it better than my Spector Q5 Pro... It plays every bit as well as the Spector, but the Ibby's 3 band EQ allows for a better sound than I can get from the Spector...

I've got an SR406 project bass. The thing currently has Kent Armstrong pickups and after trying to fit a couple different preamps in the relatively tiny control cavity I've decided I'm just gonna wire the thing up passive. Great value for the money - fast but stiff neck, solid B string especially for a 34" bass and reasonably good tone although I think the SR preamps suck moose balls (but that's just my opinion, georgestrings).

My 'nother bass is a minty mid-'80s RB760 - it's got flats on it and will out-thump any p-bass I've had my hands on.

Best of both worlds :)

• Members

I've got an SR406 project bass. The thing currently has Kent Armstrong pickups and after trying to fit a couple different preamps in the relatively tiny control cavity I've decided I'm just gonna wire the thing up passive. Great value for the money - fast but stiff neck, solid B string especially for a 34" bass and reasonably good tone although I think the SR preamps suck moose balls (but that's just my opinion, georgestrings).

My 'nother bass is a minty mid-'80s RB760 - it's got flats on it and will out-thump any p-bass I've had my hands on.

Best of both worlds
:)

I've played SR basses with the 2 band EQ, and didn't like them nearly as much as the 3 band pre on my 405 - the pups on it are marked "DX5", but they look identical to the EMG HZs on my Spector...

- georgestrings

• Members

I bought a BTB405QM a couple weeks ago, and it's the best bang for the buck I ever found! Only $300 hard case included. Some say it's for metal, I guess it's because of the look. I can get a lot of sounds with the controls. I have a Squier Vintage Modified collecting dust since. The Squier sounds weak compared to the beast!:cool:

• Members

I've played SR basses with the 2 band EQ, and didn't like them nearly as much as the 3 band pre on my 405 - the pups on it are marked "DX5", but they look identical to the EMG HZs on my Spector...

Ibanez DX pickups aren't bad - swapping them out for KA soapbars didn't make as much difference as you'd think. The only thing I've got against the 3-band preamp that was in my SR406 is that it's a tad noisy with the treble boosted.

Archived