Ibanez

W33nie

• Members

Ibanez DX pickups aren't bad - swapping them out for KA soapbars didn't make as much difference as you'd think. The only thing I've got against the 3-band preamp that was in my SR406 is that it's a tad noisy with the treble boosted.

Agreed with the noise from boosting the treble - although mine is trebly enough that I don't really have to crank it up that high - can't say that about my Spector...

- georgestrings

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed with the noise from boosting the treble - although mine is trebly enough that I don't really have to crank it up that high - can't say that about my Spector...

RR also recommended installing a Graphtek nut - the nut did make a fair bit of difference in sustain over the stock plastic nut.

The bass is a keeper, though. Still trying to get the electronics figgered out but think I'll be going with volume/blend/tone with two series/parallel/coil cut switches. That oughtta keep me entertained for days :)

The farther I go the more I appreciate passive basses. The Fodera I no longer own had a Pope preamp and more tonal possibilities than any bass should have but the best sound that bass ever made was made with just wood and wire.

And with someone else playing it :D

• Members

Ibanez make some basses that suit metal very well, but they also make some basses that are very versatile like my ATK305.

I do play hard rock / metal, however this thing could be used for Jazz, blues, {censored} even country!

DSCF0101.jpg

If you're liking the look of one, then I recommend you pick it up and play it and decide for yourself.

• Members

Seems like people mostly associate Ibanez with the Soundgear (SR) series, but Ibanez has made a lot of different types of basses over the years.

I have and use three Ibanez that I think are very nice, and different:

There's the SB900LE, of course -- my mainstay. Thin neck but different than soundgear; active pu's; very thin body, so very light weight. I have two.

Also, I really love the BTB300. Very versatile eq. Awesome bass with a fatter neck.

More recently, I've acquired an older ATK300, black with maple fretboard. It's my least favorite of the three, but I've used it least. It's doubtless just underappreciated.

• Members

My first active bass was a white Ibanez Roadbass. Took me a while to figure out that you're supposed to put batteries in the thing, heh. I really loved the sound and wish I hadn't sold it...they'd be pretty difficult to find now, I think.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

One of my early basses was an SR400, wasn't the greatest p/j bass ever. Later on I had an ATK300 that was my sweetheart until the MM SUB active took that place over. I'd have an ATK any day, it's a decent and fine bass. It goes anywhere, does most anything well.

• Members

Ibanez in general is just popular for metal. Unearth, Job For a Cowboy, August Burns Red, Between The Buried And Me, and many more use ibanez guitars. Bass player wise Mike D from Killswitch is one of my favorite endorsed players.

Even though people say that "any bass" can be used to play metal, some basses give you more of a tone that goes with the music. You may not want a bass that sounds as smooth as butter, you may want something thats got a little growl. It just depends on what you want. Right now I'm looking for a new bass, and I have been asking people what sounds good for metal. Yes I could use any bass, but it may not sound good when its played in A# and it's crying because it just wants to play some jazz.

My guitarist both use ibanez, and my first guitar was an ibanez. On the bass side, I don't really care for them much. They have nice stuff but the tone isn't quite what I liked. But I have never got a chance to play with a super nice model, just the mid range I would say. Maybe if I picked up one of the couple thousand dollar range basses I would say different.

• Members

why would you spend the money on a stingray to play in a punk band? no one cares about the bass in punk, they care about how you look

Because I like the Stingray. I don't know who "they" are, but my band doesn't care how I look? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I hear a lot of people out there who dis anything unless it's Fender or Gibson, or one of the few other ancient styles those "original" companies offer. Fenders, IMO, are still a whole heck of a lot better than Gibsons, in terms of the comfort and versatile tones you can get out of em, but I truly believe Ibanez has been part of the forward evolution of instruments for over 20 years now - I compared the playability of my new Prestige RGA to well over a dozen Gibsons, both new and used, at a local store, and they ALL felt out of whack. For $900, my Ibanez was way more comfortable, lighter by far, and so much better palying that it made the Gibby's seem like junk. Yeah, I know, they weren't junk, but they to me are the old way, and Ibanez is the new way. It's like a better wheel IMO. Tones? I got mahogany, I got a maple top, I got pickups that sound great clean for mellow stuff or super distorted for metal, etc...Tone snobs can say whatever they want to - it's crap, again IMO.

Get an Ibanez, and get superior comfort, superior playability, and equal if not even more versatile tone. For a whole lot less $$$ than the Gibby's. Fenders on the other hand are generally around the same price-wise, and have as much tone versatility - however, try doing trem work like Vai or Satch on a Fender - oops - totally out of tune - whoops...not even close to what you can do on an Ibanez with an Edge Pro trem...

Oh heck - who really cares? Play what you want, and play what you want on what you want - If you like to play metal with an Epiphone Joe Pass model, go for it ( watch out for the feedback...)

Oh yeah - I banez makes a whole bunch of very affordable semi-hollows and hollows for smooth jazz, blues, or any other thing you wanna play through em - noone can tell me that you get such a superior sound out of those insanely priced Gibbys - that's a huge myth - just cause they have that name on em, don't mean they are any better - all guitars are viable instruments, remember - some of the best songs ever were played on crap guitars - it's really a lot of nonsense, IMO - its more of a player thing...

Archived