How do you feel about death metal?

BEAD

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wait a second... do you guys have any idea how hard it is to produce consistent gutturals without ruining your voice after a few minutes? Like it or not, it's a skill and a valid vocal technique that many people are simply unable to do.

Distortion? Death Metal bands don't any more gain than most modern rock or classic metal bands do. A lot of death metal riffing is extremely tight and precise. You guys must have death metal confused with something else.

Death metal is one of the most difficult genres of music to play. If you think it sucks, try getting a Nile cover band together and see how easy it is to cover their material.

If you don't like to listen to it, fine. Personally I find BeBop and Hard Bop Jazz to be unlistenable, but I would never deny the immense skill it takes to play.

• Members

I LOVE heavy rock, but every example vid posted in this thread is totally unlistenable. Enough with the craptastic cartoon cookie monster {censored}e already. There is so much missing in this stuff that makes something musical, I don't even know where to start. Sure it's very hard to play, requires a lot of skill, but so what. There are no vocals, no melody's of any sort anywhere, nothing but riffing without any musical purpose. Now if that's the context that these bands want at their shows then that's fine, and reasonable. People obviously like this stuff. But, this is seriously the most unlistenable style of music I've ever heard, and I cannot listen to that idiotic 'vocal' style more than a few seconds without turning it off. And why the hell can't these bands ever throw down a killer groove that isn't 200bpm? Maiden put out some of the greatest metal grooves of all time and their fastest tempo's were about half the speed of this stuff. Is it so impossible to play something slower? I would love to see a resurgence of heavy, HEAVY rock with real vocalists, great song writing and killer melody driven lines. As long as people into metal eat this junk up though it will never happen. I can only hope that these people grow up and move in that direction, but I know they never will.

• Members
I LOVE heavy rock, but every example vid posted in this thread is totally unlistenable. Enough with the craptastic cartoon cookie monster {censored}e already. There is so much missing in this stuff that makes something musical, I don't even know where to start. Sure it's very hard to play, requires a lot of skill, but so what. There are no vocals, no melody's of any sort anywhere, nothing but riffing without any musical purpose. Now if that's the context that these bands want at their shows then that's fine, and reasonable. People obviously like this stuff. But, this is seriously the most unlistenable style of music I've ever heard, and I cannot listen to that idiotic 'vocal' style more than a few seconds without turning it off. And why the hell can't these bands ever throw down a killer groove that isn't 200bpm? Maiden put out some of the greatest metal grooves of all time and their fastest tempo's were about half the speed of this stuff. Is it so impossible to play something slower? I would love to see a resurgence of heavy, HEAVY rock with real vocalists, great song writing and killer melody driven lines. As long as people into metal eat this junk up though it will never happen. I can only hope that these people grow up and move in that direction, but I know they never will.

Indeed. A lot of my favorite, head-banging metal is much slower. Metallica - for whom the bell tolls, pantera - a lot of songs, dethklok - into the water :D, etc

• Members

Anyone here listen to Ulver? Dude started out in the Black metal scene (yes, it's a bit different, but still with cookie monster vocals et al), and now does this really cool ambient/ electronica stuff. Man has an incredible voice, and mad music chops. People saying death metal vocalists have no skills haven't really investigated the genre.

• Members

What's the point? It just sounds like 'white noise' to me! Ya can't even tap your foot to it!
:freak:

WTF? Tap your foot? Bang your head or GTFO.

As far as the Nile clip goes, I have a hard time listening to that kind of death metal. But {censored} like Phobophile by Cryptopsy is fantastic.

[YOUTUBE]BJcQAG0p42A[/YOUTUBE]

but if you want to talk about {censored} that I can listen to and never get bored, it'd be Carcass' Heartwork album. Pretty much any song on there is massive.

[YOUTUBE]QOpxYW4miiw[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I've been into metal for most of my life, but there are only a handful of death metal bands I can stomach-early Sepultura, one or two Morbid Angel cd's. There was another band named Cancer whose cd I owned years ago that was pretty tight. I have a Dimmu Borgir cd (I know-black metal, but close enough in the genre of "extreme" metal) that I listen to once in awhile.

I like the thrash era best-Old Met and Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Testament, Death Angel, Kreator (who some might argue helped pioneer death metal) and some other stuff like Evergrey, Iced Earth, Nevermore. I even dig some nu-metal and the classic stuff like Maiden, Priest, etc.

• Moderators

I don't know {censored} about {censored} when it comes to metal. I know there are a bunch of genres/subgenres and they all seem to be jokes to an outsider, but seem to be dead serious to the insiders. In any case, I just listened to this clip DS posted. I was 100% on board until the vocals. It wasn't the style that killed it, in my opinion the lyrics were just dog{censored}. Everything about the instrumentation is awesome though. I especially like how the guitar solo is free from having to be referential to the vocal melody, since there really isn't one. It is off putting to someone used to rock/pop, but I enjoy being jilted like that.

I'm suddenly interested in hearing a death metal version of one of my songs, The Invisible Man. If these lyrics were tweaked to be a bit more morbid, it might work. Am I crazy?

INVISIBLE MAN

The invisible man can't touch his daughter

for fear he might wake her

and there'd be no one there.

Crawls out of bed, at 5 AM

before the sun casts his shadow out

It's no way to live

the same old fear has come back to haunt me

Now it's a self-fulfilling prophecy

I am the invisible man

I am the invisible man

The invisible man walks away from the accident site

passerbys say the car drove itself through a red light

"There was a crash and broken glass, but no evidence of anyone

who might have caused this damage."

But upon further inspection, a trail of footprints,

lead only to a pile of blood-soaked bandages.

I believe it's a self-fulfilling prophecy

that I am the invisible man

I am the invisible man

• Members
I don't know {censored} about {censored} when it comes to metal. I know there are a bunch of genres/subgenres and they all seem to be jokes to an outsider, but seem to be dead serious to the insiders. In any case, I just listened to this clip DS posted. I was 100% on board until the vocals. It wasn't the style that killed it, in my opinion the lyrics were just dog{censored}. Everything about the instrumentation is awesome though. I especially like how the guitar solo is free from having to be referential to the vocal melody, since there really isn't one. It is off putting to someone used to rock/pop, but I enjoy being jilted like that.

I'm suddenly interested in hearing a death metal version of one of my songs, The Invisible Man. If these lyrics were tweaked to be a bit more morbid, it might work. Am I crazy?

INVISIBLE MAN

The invisible man can't touch his daughter

for fear he might wake her

and there'd be no one there.

Crawls out of bed, at 5 AM

before the sun casts his shadow out

It's no way to live

Now it's a self-fulfilling prophecy

I am the invisible man

I am the invisible man

The invisible man walks away from the accident site

passerbys say the car drove itself through a red light

"There was a crash and broken glass, but no evidence of anyone

who might have caused this damage."

But upon further inspection, a trail of footprints,

lead only to a pile of blood-soaked bandages.

I believe it's a self-fulfilling prophecy

that I am the invisible man

I am the invisible man

Hey, if you send me an instrumental version I'll add the vocals. I'm up to it.

:wave:

Archived