if you don't vote, don't bitch...

allan grossman

• Members

And here's my quadrennial "get out and vote" speech :D

I claim neither Democrats nor Republicans and used to think my vote didn't make a difference. To be honest my vote alone doesn't make much difference, but the millions of people who thought their vote didn't make much difference are just as responsible for things as the people who voted in the person who started the war. Statistics tell us that if everybody who could vote *did* vote we'd all be bitching about a different administration.

Hyperbole, I know. But - if you can't be bothered to take part in our government don't bitch when the government doesn't do what you think is right.

Care about the war? Abortion? Prayer in schools? Immigration? Unemployment? Education?

Get out there and make sure you're heard, goddammit.

That is all :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Statistics tell us that if everybody who could vote *did* vote we'd all be bitching about a different administration.

I'm not so sure about that. I mean, it's the electoral college that votes the president into office. And history has shown that the electoral vote does not always coincide with the popular vote.

BTW - I don't vote in Presidential elections... and there are lots of reasons why I have the right to complain. The first and foremost of which, is called freedom of speech.

• Members

Over here, you get fined if you don't vote. It's seen as less of a 'right' and more of a 'duty'. Coerced democracy? Whatever.

But yeah, you have no right to expect sympathy when you complain about the government and the state of the country if you have the ability to vote and don't exercise it.

• Members

Its all nonsense: the secret society of lug pulls the strings of the great corporate machine that dictates the balance of power throughout the world, regardless of any election.... I saw a Michael Moore movie about it based on facts in a Dan Brown book.................

• Members

Going to the county courthouse to register today so that I can vote in the

Arkansas primary. Nothing like waiting until the last minute, as today is the last day to register to be able to vote in said primary.
:)

I read county outhouse for some reason... seems a little bit much to have a whole county share one outhouse.

Anyway I don't vote in your election and I'll still bitch about your president.

• CMS Author

I'm not so sure about that. I mean, it's the electoral college that votes the president into office. And history has shown that the electoral vote does not always coincide with the popular vote.

Faithless electors have never changed the outcome of a presidential election. In nearly half (71 of 158) of the cases, they had voted for candidates who had died before the elector could cast a vote.

• Members

If you vote for someone and that someone totally {censored}s the country up, then don't bitch either.

Remember, every vote counts...except in when you get more votes and still lose the election. So yes, please get out there and vote even though it doesn't really count if you're in a state that usually goes with the opposite of your party.

I'll vote, because I'm in a blue state and I tend to vote democratic. My in-laws though may as well stay at home. But no no, GET OUT AND VOTE! (even though it's futile)....

• Members

In all reality, I don't want everyone to vote. IMO the majority of those who don't vote and then sit around bitching about the outcome are generally doing so out of ignorance and misinformation (even a valid opinion, when arrived at through misinformation, becomes invalid in my mind). Hell, the reason the electoral college was put in place was because the general populace was considered to stupid to handle the responsibility. I'm not saying the right to vote should be taken away from anyone. I am saying that if someone is too lazy to get of their ass and get to the polls, they are probably also too lazy to make an informed decision, and I'm just fine with those people staying home.

• Members

Really? The First Amendment only restricts Congress - you have no right to free speech here.

Unless you plan on banning people because they don't vote and then complain about an elected leader . . . I don't see how free speech is being infringed on here. . .

I see what you are saying, and I agree, but it just doesn't seem relevant to this conversation. PW is saying that he has the right to complain because the law allows him to, you are saying that he can't use this forum to complain and by saying that you are in no way infringing upon his rights. While agree with this much, the fact remains that he can use this forum to complain, you would just prefer that he doesn't. HCBF would be within their rights to restrict that type of speech if they wanted, but they haven't, so really, the right is still his.

Archived