if you don't vote, don't bitch...

allan grossman

• Members

So how do you change the system? Nonparticipation won't change it - outside of insurrection that only way I can see to change things is to change them from within.

As I mentioned earlier, I will sometimes vote on non-Presidential ballots. Maybe that's a little naive and could be borderline ignorant (to think it will change things)... but I'm not a politician. So the only way I can make an effort to change it, is by voting for representatives who might stand for the same values I do.

The problem there is, they are still far and few between.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As I mentioned earlier, I will sometimes vote on non-Presidential ballots. Maybe that's a little naive and could be borderline ignorant (to think it will change things)... but I'm not a politician. So the only way I can make an effort to change it, is by voting for representatives who might stand for the same values I do.

The problem there is, they are still far and few between.

I think that's all anybody can do.

• Members

The greatest political changes come from social changes. They don't come from within the political system itself. I am active every day in promoting social change. As my momma tells me, "Kindness Matters."

Can't argue with that. As long as someone's doing their part I have no reason to bitch.

• Members

I disagree, but (obviously) could be wrong.

We're all wrong.

We're bassists.

:D

I don't think anyone is necessarily wrong here. We've all obviously taken the time and brain matter to form our own conclusions. And that's more than most people do.

PS - I do promote social change as well. More so than on any ballot.

• Moderators
I don't think I was very clear on that one, sorry.

What I meant was following your conscience instead of letting somebody else make decisions for you.

Good call! :thu:

I spent some time studying the political impact created by the social changes surrounding the civil rights movement. It is not the only situation in which social change has resulted in significant political change, but it is an easy one to see and discuss. Voting doesn't get us very far, changing behaviors in our everyday lives does.

Archived