if you don't vote, don't bitch...

allan grossman

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

...PW is saying that he has the right to complain because the law allows him to, you are saying that he can't use this forum to complain and by saying that you are in no way infringing upon his rights.

I didn't say that. All I said was that he had no right to free speech here - for that matter, neither do I.

• Members

I didn't say that. All I said was that he had no right to free speech here - for that matter, neither do I.

And I'm saying that unless there is a policy in place infringing upon that right (which I don't believe there to be) then that right is implicit and you therefore do have that right.

• Members

That's happened four times in the last 225 years and only once in the last 120 years.

Plus it is not the job of the Electoral College to reflect the popular vote. It's job is to reflect the will of the individual States.

• Members

And I'm saying that unless there is a policy in place infringing upon that right (which I don't believe there to be) then that right is implicit and you therefore do have that right.

You don't see posts disappear when somebody crosses the line? Never seen anybody banned here?

Free speech does not exist in a private venue.

• Members

You don't see posts disappear when somebody crosses the line? Never seen anybody banned here?

Yes, I've seen posts deleted. And I've seen people banned. Always in situations where there has been a policy preventing that type of speech/post. There isn't any policy preventing political speech. Therefore it is still free speech, until HC/HCBF creates some sort of policy restricting this specific type of speech/post.

• Members

Yes, I've seen posts deleted. And I've seen people banned. Always in situations where there has been a policy preventing that type of speech/post. There isn't any policy preventing political speech. Therefore it is still free speech, until HC/HCBF creates some sort of policy restricting this specific type of speech/post.

Okay, now you've lost me.

Who said anything about restricting political speech?

• Members

Okay, now you've lost me.

Who said anything about restricting political speech?

Well, you did first "if you don't vote, don't bitch..." I'm sure that you realize all speech is not created equal. My point is, and has been, that is the specific type of speech in question (which is political speech in this thread) is not prohibited/restricted, it is therefore still free speech. That does not mean that there are no restrictions on speech in general, just there aren't any on that specific type of speech.

• Members

Free speech does not exist in a private venue.

This is a private venue... but there is nothing in the ToS that restricts me from complaining. If there was, then I wouldn't do it (if I expected to not get banned).

And regarding everything else, I don't give a {censored} what the 1st amendment says. There is no law in place that says, "If you don't vote and you complain about it, you will go to jail."

Until there is... you can't use congressional restrictions in this context.

As the law stands right now... I am well within my right. And that is the "freedom of speech" I am referring to.

• Members

Until there is... you can't use congressional restrictions in this context.

Sure I can. That's what free speech is all about.

There. I've run rings around you logically :p

I'm not the one who decided to take issue here, Pauly - you did. And I'll repeat my opinion, which is "If you don't vote, don't bitch" :D

It's not a binding opinion. It carries exactly the same weight as your opinion.

• Members

Yes on all counts!
:D

I'm just sayin'...
:p

My point is the people who didn't care enough to vote helped get us in this mess. The Right is outnumbered but shows up at the polls more consistently.

I do this every two years - it's my little contribution to the political process, trying to get people to get involved so we don't have Yet Another Four More Years.

cheers -

• Members

Actually, that's expressing an opinion, not restricting speech. I actually learn stuff from people who don't agree with me - not in this instance, but lotsa other times

Wow, I'm really not expressing my point well, apparently. This thread is about political speech. You stated, in response to PW "The First Amendment only restricts Congress - you have no right to free speech here." My contention is that, in a private venue such as this, free speech is an implicit right unless otherwise prohibited/restricted. There are topics which are prohibited/restricted on HCBF (drugs, etc), if the discussion were concerning those topics, there would be no free speech, because there are rules in place restricting it. There are not rules in place restricting political speech on this forum, because of that, it is free speech.

• Moderators

Wow, I'm really not expressing my point well, apparently. This thread is about political speech. You stated, in response to PW "The First Amendment only restricts Congress - you have no right to free speech here." My contention is that, in a private venue such as this, free speech is an implicit right unless otherwise prohibited/restricted. There are topics which are prohibited/restricted on HCBF (drugs, etc), if the discussion were concerning those topics, there would be no free speech, because there are rules in place restricting it. There are not rules in place restricting political speech on this forum, because of that, it is free speech.

The premise is that since HC can restrict political speech (they can, they simply choose not to), it is not your right.

• Members

My point is the people who didn't care enough to vote helped get us in this mess. The Right is outnumbered but shows up at the polls more consistently.

I do this every two years - it's my little contribution to the political process, trying to get people to get involved so we don't have Yet Another Four More Years.

cheers -

I gotchya. And I respect that.

My contribution to the whole process is to not vote in the Presidential elections. Other elections... sure. But I don't agree with the Presidential election system (for a lot of reasons that are outside the scope of this thread).

By opting to not vote, I am demonstrating that I think the system is garbage.

Archived