How has Obama demonstrated leadership skills with all those "Present" votes???

georgestrings

• Members

It's a canard. In the Illinois state legislature, voting "present" is a technique to get a bill fixed. If you support a bill that's generally good but has some significant flaw, you can vote 'present' to signify that. If the bill gets enough present votes, it goes back to committee so it can be amended.

He voted "present" while in the IL legislature, not in the US Senate. Obviously there's no rule like that in the US Congress, but in the IL legislature it's a perfectly valid technique. I don't like Obama's ideas at all, but I don't believe his present votes are a valid source of criticism.

• Moderators
It's a canard. In the Illinois state legislature, voting "present" is a technique to get a bill fixed. If you support a bill that's generally good but has some significant flaw, you can vote 'present' to signify that. If the bill gets enough present votes, it goes back to committee so it can be amended.

He voted "present" while in the IL legislature, not in the US Senate. Obviously there's no rule like that in the US Congress, but in the IL legislature it's a perfectly valid technique. I don't like Obama's ideas at all, but I don't believe his present votes are a valid source of criticism.

Generally speaking you are correct. I would be more concerned that he's been pushed by the Chicago machine and Dick Durbin.

• Members

Thanks for pointing that out - I'm just starting to look into his track record...

- georgestrings

Archived