Heart attacks...etc

REMUS

• Members

My dad has just had a very weak one, but it turns out he has a clogged up artery... which is quite strange because he leads a very active life, isn't overweight and doesn't eat allot although he does smoke?

He had a procedure today/yesterday in which the sort of push up a wire to the afflicted region and inflate a balloon like thing (sorry i'm not sure), which is supposed to fragment the blockage... it didn't work...

So I was wondering if anyone knew of treatments, but the surgeon is recommending open heart surgery, does anyone know of anything else that could be done since my dad isn't keen and he is a fairly old man (65).

• Members

:eek:

I'm sorry the surgery didn't work. I'd go with whatever procedure the surgeons recommend at this point. Surgery at any age is no fun, but it beats hell out of pushing up daisies.

Best wishes to your dad and you in any event.

(dispatches HCBF International Mojo Courier...)

• Members

his health care provider may prescribe aspirin a day for him along with other medications. I am sorry to hear about you dad..better tag this ahead before it gets too late. I used to work as a nurse in a gen. practice office and we had one that was having one, and you would never would've tell, until I did an EKG. It is some scary stuff!

• Members

My dad has just had a very weak one, but it turns out he has a clogged up artery... which is quite strange because he leads a very active life, isn't overweight and doesn't eat allot although he does smoke?

He had a procedure today/yesterday in which the sort of push up a wire to the afflicted region and inflate a balloon like thing (sorry i'm not sure), which is supposed to fragment the blockage... it didn't work...

So I was wondering if anyone knew of treatments, but the surgeon is recommending open heart surgery, does anyone know of anything else that could be done since my dad isn't keen and he is a fairly old man (65).

That's called Angioplasty. Usually the next step is stints. These are little wire cages that spring open and hold the artery open (The look like the old chinese finger capture toy). My dad had failed agioplasty followed by stints and the stints worked like a charm. It could be the location is wrong or something but definately have him ask about it before agreeing to open heart surgery because the stint method is very very safe. As far as living healthy, over 50% of heart problems are hereditary. While bad habits can make these worse, living right doesn't guarantee good health all the time.

• Members

Keep in mind that this is a bass forum so any medical advice is going to be suspect at best. That being said, red wine, purple grape juice and pomegranate juice both have a thing called resveratrol in it that some studies say will reduce the arterial blockage. I think that it was lef.org that published a few studies last year. I've read that it can give you man boobs though.

BTW, good vibes and prayers to you and your dad, that's some scary stuff.

• Members

Keep in mind that this is a bass forum so any medical advice is going to be suspect at best. That being said, red wine, purple grape juice and pomegranate juice both have a thing called resveratrol in it that some studies say will reduce the arterial blockage. I think that it was
that published a few studies last year. I've read that it can give you man boobs though.

BTW, good vibes and prayers to you and your dad, that's some scary stuff.

I was just wondering if anyone here had or knew anyone who had a heart operation and could provide advice, I thought that maybe in the US you had a broader/newer range of treatments perhaps?

&Thanks

• Members

Thanks, it's all greatly appreciated MrsSvi
:thu:

I'll suggest them to my dad and see what he says lug, thanks for the info.
:)

It may not be applicable in his particular case but just make sure he gets an explaination from the Doc about it. Good luck, he's got my prayers.

• Members

listen to the DR., my father went through this back in July.. he had severe blockage on both sides of his neck (R 95%) (L 85%) and they did a quadrouple bypass.. hes slowly gettin over it and he's 54... always been very healthy but with back problem's.. and a huge smoker... about 1 to 2 packs a day.. GL with your pops Remus.. hopefully he can get fixed up...

• Members

I was just wondering if anyone here had or knew anyone who had a heart operation and could provide advice, I thought that maybe in the US you had a broader/newer range of treatments perhaps?

&Thanks

I had some blood pressure issues about two years ago (much drinking and partying in earlier years darn near did me in), so I try to keep up on this stuff. The good news is that, with modern drugs, fewer and fewer people are dying from heart disease. The effectiveness of things like stents and angioplasty are being studied and I've read that some docs are going away from them altogether in favor of drug therapy. We seem to be getting pretty darn good at preventing and treating heart disease...heck, they even grew a rat a new heart a few weeks back in all of 8 days IIRC. Get multiple opinions and ask lots and lots of questions. All in all though, it seems that your dad is in much better hands than he would have been 15 years ago.

• Members

BTW, My mom had a triple bypass as well. She left the hospital 2 days later and was just as good as ever inside a week. Heart sugery has made leaps and bounds over the last two decades and is far safer than in the old days.

• Members

Remus,

Today is the 4th anniversary of my father passing away from one at age 63. He didn't even get a chance to have the options your old man has. He just dropped like a stone on the bedroom floor one night and that was it. He was fit and healthy up until his death too.

All I can say is take the good doctors advice and do whatever they recommend will be the best way to resolve it. Better to have a scar on the chest and be living, than have no scar and be dead. 65 is way too young for him to go and I'm sure once he's had his problem solved he'll have plenty of good years left in him yet.

• Members

he is a fairly old man (65).

65 isn't old...not by a long shot.

My dad went through open-heart surgery and the main thing that was the problem afterwards was recovering from the surgery itself....meaning the healing up of his chest-bone as they had to cut through that to get to his heart.

He lived a normal life and he died not from heart complications at all...that was still going strong when he died. He died from mesothelioma...which is due to his exposure to asbestos in the Navy back in the late 40's and 50's.

Also have your dad check out the pharmaceutical route too...heard not too long ago about many cases of heart disease can be treated with medication alone. I'm sure he's already done this...but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Archived