Heart attacks...etc

REMUS

• Members

My dad saw the surgeon today, he can't have the same procedure as lugs dad because the narrowing (50-80%) is in a problem area...

So it's now a question of when, not if, my dad has open heart surgery :(

Thanks for every-ones mojo, prayers and advice though :)

• Members

To my understanding, the treatment of a documented blockage is either the procedure your father had, or surgery. BTW, you can't put a stent in unless you have a successful angioplasty. I understand that some centers are doing coronary bypass surgeries using scopes. They make smaller incisions, don't have to crack open the sternum or ribs, and there is a faster, less painful recovery. It's best for limited procedures, like a one-vessal bypass. It all depends on how bad his other vessels look and if they need a "pre-emptive" bypass. There is no medical treatment once the plaques have ruptured and occluded or nearly occluded the arteries.

• Members

Thoughts are with you. My dad had a bypass for a blockage, pryor to that he was active, walked daily, walked 18 holes 2x a week etc. The day after the procedure, he sat up to comb his hair, and had a severe stroke. I am very happy to hear of the successes in here, but I would guess my fathers is considered a success also. A piece of placque broke free at the splice and caused his stroke, due to the medications he was on, they were unable to administer the stroke meds. I sincerely do not wish to spread any bad karma etc, but if I ever face this decision, I will ask about the liklehood of a similar event.

• Members

So it's now a question of when, not if, my dad has open heart surgery
:(

Thanks for every-ones mojo, prayers and advice though
:)

Again, they're getting really good at this stuff, I imagine it must have you guys pretty freaked out but he's going to be fine. You say that he's in good shape, I can't help but think that this will pay huge dividends in his recovery.

• Members

My dad saw the surgeon today, he can't have the same procedure as lugs dad because the narrowing (50-80%) is in a problem area...

So it's now a question of when, not if, my dad has open heart surgery
:(

Thanks for every-ones mojo, prayers and advice though
:)

After he recovers from this he'll feel much better than he did before the heart attack. Having that blockage removed he'll feel he's supercharged. :thu::cool:

• Moderators

That's called Angioplasty. Usually the next step is stints. These are little wire cages that spring open and hold the artery open (The look like the old chinese finger capture toy). My dad had failed agioplasty followed by stints and the stints worked like a charm. It could be the location is wrong or something but definately have him ask about it before agreeing to open heart surgery because the stint method is very very safe. As far as living healthy, over 50% of heart problems are hereditary. While bad habits can make these worse, living right doesn't guarantee good health all the time.

Not stints. Stents.

• CMS Author

Hey Remus, sorry to hear about this. Since the surgery seems the only way to go, let 'em have at it and git 'er done. If your dad is depressed now or after the surgery, it is perfectly normal, but do whatever you can to help him get through that, as it is very important to stay optimistic. He'll be just fine, and it's great that he's been active all along.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

• Members

Coronary Artery Bypass Graft or CABG can be a very effective procedure and add many years of life. It involves harvesting veins from the leg...or sometimes the radial artery in an arm.

Remus, Be sure your dad goes through cardiac rehab after surgery. The doctor may not mention it but ask the doctor to refer him. Cardiac rehab is an outpatient exercise & education program designed to increase strength & endurance and provide education on lifestyle modification...such as controlling high blood pressure, stress management, nutrition, etc. Medicare and most commercial insurance will pay for 36, 1-hour visits. Most programs meet 3 days a week so its about a 12 week program. They will monitor his heart rhythm, blood pressure, heart rate, etc. You're dad may not want to go but this is vital in his recovery and preventing another cardiac event. Encourage him. :thu: By the way this is what I do for a living...I'm an exercise physiologist & director of cardiac rehabilitation at a hospital.

• Members

Coronary Artery Bypass Graft or CABG can be a very effective procedure and add many years of life. It involves harvesting veins from the leg...or sometimes the radial artery in an arm.

Remus, Be sure your dad goes through cardiac rehab after surgery. The doctor may not mention it but ask the doctor to refer him. Cardiac rehab is an outpatient exercise & education program designed to increase strength & endurance and provide education on lifestyle modification...such as controlling high blood pressure, stress management, nutrition, etc. Medicare and most commercial insurance will pay for 36, 1-hour visits. Most programs meet 3 days a week so its about a 12 week program. They will monitor his heart rhythm, blood pressure, heart rate, etc. You're dad may not want to go but this is vital in his recovery and preventing another cardiac event. Encourage him.
:thu:
By the way this is what I do for a living...I'm an exercise physiologist & director of cardiac rehabilitation at a hospital.

Medicare is not available east of Maine.

Archived