Am I an Asshole? (rant enclosed)

cwatson

• Members

Basically the situation is this. I leave my full rig at my band's rehersal space (which happens to be one of my best friend's studio) as it is a pain to transport it there and back every week and I have a practice amp at home. However the guitarist (the guy that owns the studio/practice room) has just started up a side project with some other guys which is fair enough. Its none of my business and I don't have a problem with it.

What I do have a problem with is him letting the bassist (who also happens to be a very good friend of mine) use my amp to practice when they rehearse and initially it was without my permission! Don't get me wrong I'm probably more lenient with my gear than most of you guys on here. I've supplied my amp as backline multiple times for various gigs. The thing is the bassist has his own stuff so in my opinion he should use It I made the effor to bring my gear over, so should he. I don't see why I should let another band use my gear that I've worked hard to pay for especially when I'm not even asked about it. and the fact that the bassist has his own gear that is more than up to the job. The drummer shares the same view, as the same guy let the drummer of this other band use our his kit (which also resides at the practice space) without permission from him. He was pretty pissed about it.

So err yeah am I an asshole for pulling my gear from the rehersal space?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes you're an asshole, but for different reasons than listed in this post :mad:

But no, you're not an asshole for this :D

I'd be pissed too; ESPECIALLY if I were the drummer. My gear is mine. I bought it, I transport it, I maintain it. If you are a friend who wants to come over and jam, or need to borrow a piece for a little while, hell yeah have at it. Am I going to allow you to push it every week blaring it during practice, when you have your own gear? Sorry, no.

Then again, if he wants to pay you rental fees... ;)

• Members

Put a very low value fuse in your rig so the next time they use it they freak out thinking they broke your gear.

Yep.

Then, when the fuse blows, tell him he broke the rig, and that he needs to pay for it. You then buy another rig, so you can have one full rig at home and one full rig at the rehearsal space. :p

• Members

You're not an asshole, they are.

Are they prepared to pay you for damage when something breaks?

They may say they would pay, but mark my words you'll wind up taking someone to court to get your money.....:mad:

It's just not worth it.

If those idiots had half a lick of sense they'd understand that too - I don't wanna be responsible for someone else's gear, do they?

Didn't think so.

• Members

No... you're not an asshole for expecting a little common courtesy. But pulling your gear from the studio without communicating things first is a bit passive-aggressive.

You said they are both good friends of yours. The guitarist probably just assumed it was all cool and said to the bassist, "yeah he's cool with it". So... you can't really blame the bassist.

You probably should have said to the guitarist, "I'm sure you thought it was OK, but I wish you would have asked me".

If you can't look at their POV objectively and communicate accordingly, then things just turn into everyone getting pissed at each other and nothing really gets accomplished.

just my .02

• Members

Definitely not an asshole, IMO. I had this happen a couple years ago, when I was playing as half of an acoustic duo. I was leaving a PA, a couple of guitars, etc., at a friend's house (the other guy in the duo). I swing by his house one day, and he's practicing with his other band. My PA, my guitars, etc. The best part was "Dude, we're still practicing" when I told him I was going to pack up all of my crap and get it out of there.

Mike

• Members

I have a similar situation, practice at my drummer's and he is also in another band. Their bassplayer brings his own rig, leaves it, and I have my practice amp there too. My amp (Ampeg B100R) probably wouldn't help him much, as we play very different music and he uses a Modulus Q6 bass.

Having said that, we have a PA we use, and they use it too. I guess I take the point I really cannot get too bothered if someone uses my gear I leave somewhere, as I have NO control over what goes on when I am not around. Just so long as it keeps working correctly! Obvisously, if it breaks, someone needs to fix it and pay for repairs.

My philosophy is, if I REALLY don't want someone touching my bass or amp, I take it home. Then I know for certain. If I leave it somewhere, all bets are off.

Your approach does not make you an asshole, just someone who may take umbridge at someone else using your gear, which is reasonable. I don't care personally, as they are my tools I use to jam.

I used to leave a Waterstone TP 12 string bass at our practice space, and I would not mind at all if the other bassplayer jammed it while I was not there. How could he resist??

• Members

I used to leave a Waterstone TP 12 string bass at our practice space, and I would not mind at all if the other bassplayer jammed it while I was not there. How could he resist??

I've lent basses before but that's sort of a different beast. If you loan a bass, it's "Yeha don't drop it" and everything else is gravy.

With my gear, you'd be pushing the speakers hard, putting hours on the tubes, etc.

• Members

Since most people agree with you, I'll disagree. Yes, you are an asshole.

The thing is the bassist has his own stuff so in my opinion he should use It I made the effor to bring my gear over, so should he.

You brought your rig once. You don't bring it over, you leave it there, making you are just as lazy as he is. If he is a good friend of yours, then I would expect he would fix whatever he broke on it.

If you don't like it, take it home. But... I would have asked first before I had used it, you are not an asshole about that.

• Members
I've lent out my bass rig to "opening bands" a few times when their equipment failed...

but that's just rock n' roll
:rawk:

Using your rig without permission is bull{censored} and requires a solid
COCKPUNCH

...Or Monkey steals the peach!

• Members

Simple fix: take something important to the operation of the amp. I always keep my bass, the speaker cable and the power cable for my rig when I leave practice. I actually do it more for power-surge issues than worrying about someone else using it, but still, it keeps it from happening.

Yeah, he could conceivably bring his own power and speaker cables, but that would be a TOTAL dick move...

• Members

No... you're not an asshole for expecting a little common courtesy. But pulling your gear from the studio without communicating things first is a bit passive-aggressive.

You said they are both good friends of yours. The guitarist probably just assumed it was all cool and said to the bassist, "yeah he's cool with it". So... you can't really blame the bassist.

You probably should have said to the guitarist, "I'm sure you thought it was OK, but I wish you would have asked me".

If you can't look at their POV objectively and communicate accordingly, then things just turn into everyone getting pissed at each other and nothing really gets accomplished.

just my .02

I disagree with the first paragraph above. What, he needs to check with someone before taking his own gear?

No one (asshole or not) should use someone else's stuff without explicit permission from the owner. That's just common sense, courtesy and consideration. Period. End of discussion.

• Members

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkrockfreedomfighter

You brought your rig once. You don't bring it over, you leave it there, making you are just as lazy as he is.

He has a point
:idea::D

Yeah, a crappy one... It's not uncommon to leave gear at a rehearsal space - I do it on a regular basis - that in no way excuses using said gear without atleast asking beforehand...

I wouldn't be in a band with people that I couldn't trust enough to leave my gear with - and loaning out my gear without asking first is most definitely a no-no...

- georgestrings

Archived