Am I an Asshole? (rant enclosed)

cwatson

• Members

I dont think so.

I think you should talk to your friend who owns the space before pulling it out and tell him what you think.

BTW....If I know one of my Wifes Brothers is coming over I put my Ric away and put an SX on the stand. If I am not going to be home when hes around I have actually locked the case.....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Basically the situation is this. I leave my full rig at my band's rehersal space (which happens to be one of my best friend's studio) as it is a pain to transport it there and back every week and I have a practice amp at home. However the guitarist (the guy that owns the studio/practice room) has just started up a side project with some other guys which is fair enough. Its none of my business and I don't have a problem with it.

What I do have a problem with is him letting the bassist (who also happens to be a very good friend of mine) use my amp to practice when they rehearse and initially it was without my permission! Don't get me wrong I'm probably more lenient with my gear than most of you guys on here. I've supplied my amp as backline multiple times for various gigs. The thing is the bassist has his own stuff so in my opinion he should use It I made the effor to bring my gear over, so should he. I don't see why I should let another band use my gear that I've worked hard to pay for especially when I'm not even asked about it. and the fact that the bassist has his own gear that is more than up to the job. The drummer shares the same view, as the same guy let the drummer of this other band use our his kit (which also resides at the practice space) without permission from him. He was pretty pissed about it.

So err yeah am I an asshole for pulling my gear from the rehersal space?

You're no way an asshole for this.

You know what they say. You can take my wife. Take my kids but don't touch my gear. It wasn't that assholes' to lend to someone else to use. What if the amp decides to take a {censored} at the time he's using it or right after when you're getting ready to play? What then?

Will your guitard be responsible? Will that other bassplayer? I think not and you will be the asshole for asking them to be responsible (in their eyes).

The what will you do?

• Members

These are people that he is friends with... and also has to work with one on a more professional level. If he wants to take his gear home, fine. But the mature thing is to communicate that it wasn't cool of the guitarist to offer his gear up - especially considering that it doesn't fix the underlying problem. Because without that communication, the guitarist will just end up doing similar things over and over.

I couldn't agree more. That's why I say that the guitarist needs to understand that as to avoid these problems in the future. If it's not communicated, that's like telling the guitarist that it's OK to pull that kinda of {censored}.

I stick by my first reply. I also assert that "the mature thing" would be that, unless explicitly given the greenlight to play someone's stuff, dont!

• Members

I stick by my first reply. I also assert that "the
mature
thing" would be that, unless explicitly given the greenlight to play someone's stuff, dont!

Yeah, I wouldn't play someone else's gear without knowing that they were OK with it... I've shared rehearsal space with other bands, and made arrangements with the other bassist that sometimes I used their cab, and other times they used mine - but it was ALWAYS agreed upon beforehand...

- georgestrings

• Members

In our studio space, the old bassist has a key. The reason is that he is a friend of my guitar players and he is actually an old friend of mine. We all have people come over from time to time to jam. The old bassist will bring one of his bands by every once in a few months but he always gives us the heads up. We dont care but thats because of the courtesy. I have brought some buddies of mine that I used to play with up to check out our space and I gave the rest of the guys heads up about it. They didnt have a problem. It helps that we all know each other on one level or another but none of us would ever let anyone else use each others gear without giving them a call.

• Members

My last band hired a new guitarist, and he left his Fender Deluxe at the rehearsal space after a few practices, and asked the owner of the house not to let people play his amp.

Dude puts together a side project, and lets one of the guitards use the amp, as well as my bass rig. Guitar amp goes tits up. Everyone whose fault it was pointed at everyone else, nobody paid for the repair. We fired dude shortly thereafter.

My current band plays in our drummer's basement, and we all leave our rigs over there. One rehearsal, our guitar player pulls out his guitar, and it's tuned to standard. He turns on his amp, and the EQ settings are all jacked up. I look at my amp, and the Contour control is all the way up, as well as the bass control. Drummer first tried to deny it, then said "Oh, my dad was over, he must have done it."

We laid into him about it and it hasn't happened since. I'm still wary, but I REALLY don't like people playing my rig when I'm not around, because there's no proof if they {censored} it up.

C7

Archived