converting from long scale to short

poomwah

• Members

Conceivably, wouldn't the only thing necessary to convert a long scale to a short scale be changing to a short scale neck, moving the bridge closer to the neck (if the pickup placement allowed it), short scale strings, and a set up? Is there anything else I'm forgetting?

• Moderators

Conceivably, wouldn't the only thing necessary to convert a long scale to a short scale be changing to a short scale neck, moving the bridge closer to the neck (if the pickup placement allowed it), short scale strings, and a set up? Is there anything else I'm forgetting?

Neck for fret placement, bridge for scale length. That's it.

• Members

Yes. Having your head examined.

• Moderators

you wouldn't have the short scale fret spacing though.

You wouldn't? From a 34" scale length you'd get perfect spacing for a 27" scale length.

You'd get a lot closer to 30" scale (from 34" scale) by tuning down one step with a capo on the second fret.

• Members

You wouldn't? From a 34" scale length you'd get perfect spacing for a 27" scale length.

You'd get a lot closer to 30" scale (from 34" scale) by tuning down one step with a capo on the second fret.

aren't the frets closer together on a 30" scale neck than on a 34" neck?

• Moderators

aren't the frets closer together on a 30" scale neck than on a 34" neck?

Yes, but think about it. The frets are also closer together the higher up the neck you go. From the nut to the first fret is about 2". Put a capo on the first fret, and you have a 32" scale bass. Moving to the second fret takes away not quite as much, but it's close enough to 30" as makes no difference. All of the frets are proportional. An old rule of thumb is that the next fret is 1/17 the distance from the current fret to the bridge. Makes no difference if the scale is 25", 30", 34", or a meter.

• Members

Yes, but think about it. The frets are also closer together the higher up the neck you go. From the nut to the first fret is about 2". Put a capo on the first fret, and you have a 32" scale bass. Moving to the second fret takes away not quite as much, but it's close enough to 30" as makes no difference. All of the frets are proportional. An old rule of thumb is that the next fret is 1/17 the distance from the current fret to the bridge. Makes no difference if the scale is 25", 30", 34", or a meter.

so if you are used to 20 fret short scale you could just use a 22 fret 34 inch? would you get the same low tension?

• Moderators

so if you are used to 20 fret short scale you could just use a 22 fret 34 inch? would you get the same low tension?

Yes, because you're lowering the tension to downtune such that you're getting EADG at the second fret.

• Members

of course I'm playing bass

Hey! Don't fall for the bait of these troglodytes. Move forward with your idea. If you do have your head examined, get the results documented and used as an example of a fully-realized human being.

One more thing: as R. Kelly said:

"... take the haters out in the back & rough 'em up."

I'll rough up the haters for you.

• Members

Just know the scale of the neck your useing.

Whether it be a 30" scale, 31,32 or what ever.

Bridge placement is based on the scale of the neck .

Archived