Small head amp advise.

nicolinadepapa

• Members

I've owned some amps, from Peavey, Ampeg years,

to Ashdown, EBS, GK and Tfunk. The last one, my favorite.

Now, I'm more into Eden, or MarkB. amps, but if

Thunderfunk finally made a D-class micro amp with simple EQ

and their relatively flat but solid sounding...

What about the new GK MB2-500 or the Genz Benz Shuttle amps?

• Members

I think a lot of these new, small heads (GB, Markbass, GK, etc...) seem to fall in the same general ballpark in terms of weight, size, power, and build quality. Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the suggestions in this thread.

That being said, the final determining factor would come down to tone. I don't have much experience with any of the small heads other than Markbass, but based on your tonal description, I would have to say that a LMII would probably get you at least close to what you're looking for.

I would also make a suggestion for you to check out Euphonic Audio. Their amps might be even more clear and transparent than a LMII, and a used Micro 300 would probably fit your budget. The two channel thing might be nice if you have to double on a gig too...

• Members

I would also make a suggestion for you to check out Euphonic Audio. Their amps might be even more clear and transparent than a LMII, and a used Micro 300 would probably fit your budget. The two channel thing might be nice if you have to double on a gig too...

What do people mean when they say the LMII sounds clear and transparent?

I hear that a lot. To my ears, and to how I EQ'd it, it was pumpin, kickass, and punchy.

• Members

What do people mean when they say the LMII sounds clear and transparent?

I hear that a lot. To my ears, and to how I EQ'd it, it was pumpin, kickass, and punchy.

What that means to me is that when I plug my bass into the LMII, leave all the controls flat, and play a note, it sounds fairly close to the sound I get plugging my bass into my DI and a mixer.

EQ and tone controls not withstanding, to my ears, the LMII sounds like a pretty clear representation of my bass, without much added character. The EQ just acts to add color to this 'blank tone canvas'.

Some other amps are known for their ability to make your bass sound 'growly' or 'crispy hi fi' or 'fat tubey', and so on.

I'm sure the LMII has some character of its own, but to my ears, it's pretty subtle - to the point that even when I think I hear it, I would be hard pressed to describe it verbally.

• Members

What that means to me is that when I plug my bass into the LMII, leave all the controls flat, and play a note, it sounds fairly close to the sound I get plugging my bass into my DI and a mixer.

EQ and tone controls not withstanding, to my ears, the LMII sounds like a pretty clear representation of my bass, without much added character. The EQ just acts to add color to this 'blank tone canvas'.

I'm sure the LMII has some character of its own, but to my ears, it's pretty subtle - to the point that even when I think I hear it, I would be hard pressed to describe it verbally.

...via Patterson Audio Systems Cabs? nice rig!

• Members

What about the Phil Jones Bass D-200?

D-200-front-and-back2_3.jpg

I know it's only 150 watts, but it's about as small/light/portable as you're going to find for a dedicated bass head.

I've been very impressed by the tone of PJB amps. I especially like the preamp section (the EQ is very nice).

• Members

What about the
Phil Jones Bass D-200
?

D-200-front-and-back2_3.jpg

I know it's only 150 watts, but it's about as small/light/portable as you're going to find for a dedicated bass head.

I've been very impressed by the tone of PJB amps. I especially like the preamp section (the EQ is very nice).

PJB amps are sure the prettiest out there, and certainly sound nice, but I worry about their QC. Too bad he feels mfg needs to be handled overseas.

• Moderators
I noticed Flores had a nice selection in stock when I met you there. Have you sat down with 'em yet? After sitting with you and the Boogies, I can see if they're not your bag.
:)

I'm such a Mesa fanboi I just haven't wasted my time with the PJB stuff. If you're headed this way anytime soon, I'm sure I could find an excuse to stop in over there just to sample the stuff.:cool:

Archived