Small head amp advise.

nicolinadepapa

• Members

PJB amps are sure the prettiest out there, and certainly sound nice, but I worry about their QC. Too bad he feels mfg needs to be handled overseas.

The PJB stuff is so completely overengineered. When the bomb drops all that will be left is old Peavy amps, PJB stuff and cockroaches.

Plus, its not like he just outsources to the cheapest bidder. He actually owns and operates his own plant in China. Even if you don't like his stuff, he is certainly doing the overseas build thing in a good way.

• Moderators

Plus, its not like he just outsources to the cheapest bidder. He actually owns and operates his own plant in China. Even if you don't like his stuff, he is certainly doing the overseas build thing in a good way.

+1 And he already had pretty solid experience manufacturing over there before the bass equipment.

• Members

The PJB stuff is so completely overengineered. When the bomb drops all that will be left is old Peavy amps, PJB stuff and cockroaches.

Two out of the three I saw were pretty rickety. Looked killer and sounded sweet, but I was afraid to touch them again after turning up the volume.

• Members
What that means to me is that when I plug my bass into the LMII, leave all the controls flat, and play a note, it sounds fairly close to the sound I get plugging my bass into my DI and a mixer.

EQ and tone controls not withstanding, to my ears, the LMII sounds like a pretty clear representation of my bass, without much added character. The EQ just acts to add color to this 'blank tone canvas'.

Some other amps are known for their ability to make your bass sound 'growly' or 'crispy hi fi' or 'fat tubey', and so on.

I'm sure the LMII has some character of its own, but to my ears, it's pretty subtle - to the point that even when I think I hear it, I would be hard pressed to describe it verbally.

Ah that makes sense. thanks :thu:

Probably why it sounded good, as I was playing some nice basses through.

• Moderators
Two out of the three I saw were pretty rickety. Looked killer and sounded sweet, but I was afraid to touch them again after turning up the volume.

Awesome. :freak:

I haven't had much hands on experience with them, just interviews of PJ and photographs of his facility. In any case, if they are in fact poorly QCed, it has nothing to do with the country of origin.

Archived