Man-made Global Warming

Thunderbroom

• Members
The blink of an eye, geologically speaking. Man didn't appear until 11:59:30 (or somewhere thereabouts) on the geological clock.

OTOH, I heard on the radio that ARTIFICIAL trees are worse that REAL trees for Christmas decorations because of the carbon footprint left by making those artificial trees........

:facepalm:

Yeah, but it's the months' worth of pine needles in my actual footprint that makes me choose the artificial tree...

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unfortunately, without people like Al Gore oversimplifying and dramatizing things, I don't think the issue would even have made it to the public.

I don't blame Al Gore (although I do despise him), because he's making bank on global warming. I'd tell a bunch of lies and manipulate data if I could get rich off it too.

• Members

Unfortunately, without people like Al Gore oversimplifying and dramatizing things, I don't think the issue would even have made it to the public.

I saw his movie and should have been called "a fabricated truth". The way he displayed his charts, leaving out the scale, made it look like something went up 75% instead of the .05% jump it was.

• Members

The way he displayed his charts, leaving out the scale, made it look like something went up 75% instead of the .05% jump it was.

I found a couple of mistakes in the data when I watched it... stuff that made me wonder why anyone else didn't see the mistakes, too.

• Members
Yeah, but it's the months' worth of pine needles in my actual footprint that makes me choose the artificial tree...

Yeah, and just think of all the tiny not-yet developed Chinese hands that put that artificial tree together. :mad:

• Members

This is not what the quotes (which I guess are representative of the report, that nobody has read yet) say. A few say it's a blatant lie, most remain skeptical which to me is what a scientist shall always be. Controversy helps truth coming out.

The conference is supposed to be open to anyone wishing to participate. Where were these guys when it started working ? And why should we believe one more than the other ? The UN conference lists holds 30,000, not 52 scientists like the article claims.

I'd love to read the report and check what they have to say on the matter. If they present serious studies I'll be enthusiastic. If may as well be a pale debunking attempt.

So yeah I'd like to see what these guys have to show us.

I didn't get the impression that this article is saying these "dissenting" scientists are proposing that global warming is a hoax or "non-issue" either. Most of the quotes seem to be criticizing the political spin on the issue more than anything. The rest are split between skeptical and opposed to the idea.

Really, the who issue has become so politicized that it would almost be ridiculous to take a stance either way with all the "information" flying around now. In that vein, it's not particularly comforting that the article comes from a government site either.

• Members

I know. I'm just wondering if I'm gonna come off as an a$$ for sending this to the group. I do have to spend time with these folks for the next 2.5 years.

That link seems like it'd only stir up some crap and make you look like you're trying to make them wrong and you're some how right.

It looks like a poster for a movie where a bunch of random critics are quoted. I thought the link would go to something really hardcore subtantive. Something that would consider all points of view.

It's a stack of soundbites. The more I look at it ... looks more & more like propaganda. I would NOT send that to classmates who shouted me down. It wouldn't even make me look like an ass. It'd probably just make me look silly for thinking propaganda would bolster my case.

• Members

No where in the link does it claim that the 52 scientists are ALL of the scientists that support global warming. It states that 52 were involved with a particular report.

I also agree that these scientists shouldn't hold any more weight necessarily than the proponents of global warming; however, when I am told in a doctoral program that man-made global warming is fact when all scientists don't appear to agree then I have a huge problem with that as they are suggesting that the minority can't be right when in fact they could be (or maybe not).

How often do you find a theory that is supported by 100% of the scientific community? Good luck finding all scientists to agree on the same thing...

• Members

That link seems like it'd only stir up some crap and make you look like you're trying to make them wrong and you're some how right.

It looks like a poster for a movie where a bunch of random critics are quoted. I thought the link would go to something really hardcore subtantive. Something that would consider all points of view.

It's a stack of soundbites. The more I look at it ... looks more & more like propaganda. I would NOT send that to classmates who shouted me down. It wouldn't even make me look like an ass. It'd probably just make me look silly for thinking propaganda would bolster my case.

Man, if Nicky Mack taught a pimp any damn thing, it's that a middle aged fat white dude is never more than a simple John, and should never get over on any pimp or playa whose game is truly tight. Al Gore played you like Al Green, sucka.

C7

• Members

I had a look on google to see if I could find out the substance of the "dissenting" scientists opinion on global warming. I couldn't find any. In case after case it was a scientists credentials being given, and then a statement from them that they feel the case for man-made global warming is unproven.

I believe that the case for global warming is very strong. As someone said above, you can never actually prove anything, so to say its "unproven", as the skeptics appear to be doing, is very weak. What would be needed to debunk man-made global warming would be alternate theories that fit the evidence better, and experiments to distinguish between the two theories that comes down on the side of non-man-made global warming.

Personally I believe that this ad hominem approach (merely saying "I'm a great scientist, and I disagree") is a symptom of how weak the skeptic's argument is. As they lack evidence and convincing theories to support their case, so resort to relying on their credentials. And 650 out of 30,650 means that almost 98% of the scientists registering an opinion have come down on the side of man-made global warming. If it is a numbers game, then it would only point one way.

• Members

Man, if Nicky Mack taught a pimp any damn thing, it's that a middle aged fat white dude is never more than a simple John, and should never get over on any pimp or playa whose game is truly tight. Al Gore played you like Al Green, sucka.

C7

Al Gore ain't been spittin' game 'round me, fool. I'm tryin' to help Thunderbroom come correct. Current state of thangz is youngblood poppin' up with that 1-sided smack and lookin' like he's slippin'. I just need to pull the brother's coattails so he don't toss all the {censored} up and then play his damned self.

He wanna shoot that game he's got? It's weak. It ain't wrong, it's just weak. He needs to step it back, stuff his dome with some real potent {censored} & step up heavy with some really real.

• Members

I had a look on google to see if I could find out the substance of the "dissenting" scientists opinion on global warming. I couldn't find any. In case after case it was a scientists credentials being given, and then a statement from them that they feel the case for man-made global warming is unproven.

I believe that the case for global warming is very strong. As someone said above, you can never actually prove anything, so to say its "unproven", as the skeptics appear to be doing, is very weak. What would be needed to debunk man-made global warming would be alternate theories that fit the evidence better, and experiments to distinguish between the two theories that comes down on the side of non-man-made global warming.

Personally I believe that this ad hominem approach (merely saying "I'm a great scientist, and I disagree") is a symptom of how weak the skeptic's argument is. As they lack evidence and convincing theories to support their case, so resort to relying on their credentials. And 650 out of 30,650 means that almost 98% of the scientists registering an opinion have come down on the side of man-made global warming. If it is a numbers game, then it would only point one way.

Yo' sukka, translate this {censored} into the C7/BroM tizzongue. We ain't hearing whatever it is you tryin' to whoop on us. It ain't makin' no kinda sense.

• Members

Al Gore ain't been spittin' game 'round me, fool. I'm tryin' to help Thunderbroom come correct. Current state of thangz is youngblood poppin' up with that 1-sided smack and lookin' like he's slippin'. I just need to pull the brother's coattails so he don't toss all the {censored} up and then play his damned self.

He wanna shoot that game he's got? It's weak. It ain't wrong, it's just weak. He needs to step it back, stuff his dome with some real potent {censored} & step up heavy with some really real.

The Right and Honorable Pimp, T. Broom Pikkinz, is servin' up a buffet of game so big, he turned out Carney Wilson like a crack lusted ghetto princess in heat for Donkey Kong.

As for the 1-sided smack, I don't know how really realer it's about to get for them 650 pocket protectin' pimps standin' righteous against the brutality of the major majority.

The fuzz says you're wrong, and if you get caught pumpin' gas in your Datsun 210, they gonna wrap a pimp up like prosciutto and toss that ass in the clink. Does that make them right, Rocky? HELL NO. Buncha busted ass suckaz rockin' badges doesn't mean they got {censored} on your game, even if they got all kinds of laws and {censored}. And you know this. You see what I mean, mother{censored}a?

C7

• Members

I just found out about this:

Posted today on the US Senate's Committee on Environment and Public Works site.

I got shouted down in one of my graduate classes because I questioned man-made global warming. I was told that it was a fact and was not up for debate in the scientific community.

I'm wondering if I should forward the above to our listserv or just let it lay.

I'd serve 'em up a big cup of Shut The F*** Up!

• Members

It's also true that Alaska's largest glacier has been growing rapidly for the past year and this is with a hot governor!

I heard some global-warming-the-polar-bears-are-dying folks asked on National Public Radio how the polar bears survived warm ups to the climate in the past. There was total silence for 10 seconds then one of them said "We're not qualified to answer that".

• CMS Author

I just found out about this:

UN Blowback: More Than 650 International Scientists Dissent Over Man-Made Global Warming Claims

Posted today on the US Senate's Committee on Environment and Public Works site.

I got shouted down in one of my graduate classes because I questioned man-made global warming. I was told that it was a fact and was not up for debate in the scientific community.

I'm wondering if I should forward the above to our listserv or just let it lay.

As B. Mango say, fill your dome, then lay the smackdown on 'em.

Revenge being best served cold.

• Members

There is so much Dogma and misstated data presented as FACT in this whole debate that it's really ludicrous. If you dissent with the "consensus" you are basically labeled a heretic and shouted down.

I'm with BBL. I think man DOES definitely have an effect on the environment, and I do believe that we are affecting it to a point, but the issue with me is......at what level are we really having an effect and how much of this has nothing to do with man?

Should we srtive to be cleaner? Absolutely. Should we try and do things in a more environmentally friendly way? You bet. But the presentation and doomsday predictions and the absolute bull{censored} that is thrown out there and presented as FACT, along with the "This discussion is over" mentality by many of the "true believers" reminds me way too much of religious belief.

Personally, I think what is being presented as fact is bull{censored}. Gross exxagerations abound and are accepted as the gospel. There is so much contradictory evidence and so much data presented out of context, that I would say that I am probably very agnostic in this matter.

I think we should do a lot of dispassionate actual research into the subject and find out what the real story is. Find out what the results of our actions are, and how much of this is (if any, and there probably is a lot we can improve on) our fault before we set ANY policy. We may do more harm than good otherwise.

Archived