Mesa Boogie M9 Carbine announced!!!

In Absentia

• Members

With a proper monitoring system, the answer of "Amp not required" is more than possible.

That's a pretty iffy caveat - it's rare to come across monitors that handle bass very well - unless you're bringing IEMs into things, and I don't really care for them... I've played gigs with just a DI, and it sucked balls...

Besides, *some* of us in rock bands actually like the sound of an acoustic drum set, good bass rig, and guitar half stack...

- georgestrings

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My original post said "no one needs 900 watts." The most important word in that phrase is "needs." My MPulse 600 has a slave out. If I need more, it's easy enough to hook up a power amp to a separate cab. I would more than likely never find myself in that situation. I don't play in bands with heavy handed drummers or guitarists with dimed 100 watt tube amps and 412 cabs. I value my hearing too much.

I know, and agree with you - I was just bustin' your balls...

- georgestrings

• Moderators
I know, and agree with you - I was just bustin' your balls...

- georgestrings

Yeah. I hoped you'd gotten that out of my Al Gore comment. :D I'm not a huge fan of going direct. I like some air being pushed, too. I also generally bring the LS system with whoever I'm playing with, so I don't have room for a huge bass rig.

• Moderators
I typically play in clubs that already have a sound system, so I never quite know what I'm getting into. Plus, it's nice to have the extra power for outdoor gigs.

I always try to get that information first hand. Most places gigged we bring the sound, so since I'm running it, I get what I want. :D As for the outdoor gigs, I can get away with the Walkabout Scout 12. The sound companies in this area that do those have the gear required for the stages, but I still bring the MPulse 600 and GB 212 to those, since I'm not hauling the LS rig, too.

• Moderators

To be honest I've always preferred the FET channel over the tube channel on the m-2000....

The tube is great to add a little something different on top but 90% of the tone is the FET side.

sorry about the hijack but as long as we're here anyway, would there be any advantage to using a different 12ax7 (or two) ?

12ax7 is the designation for the electrical structure, but there are different physical structures within the 12ax7 families. Those differences affect tone, as do the materials used in making the tube. It is always possible that a tube swap will affect tone if (1) the physical structure of the tube is different (whether it is because the tube is a different brand or because of variation within a brand) (2) the amplifier design uses the tube in a way that exposes the differences and (3) your system and ears are sensitive enough to detect the differences. In some designs the differences will be more noticeable than others, having no familiarity with that amp, there is no way for me to know if a tube swap would help you find a tone you'd like more. Sorry.

• Moderators

Could you elaborate on that a little further possibly?

A 12ax7 has a pair of triodes and some heater elements. The triodes each consist of a cathode, a grid and a plate. Each one of the elements can vary in size and shape and position relative to the other three. On top of that, the materials used in each will vary. These variances have real effects on gain across the spectrum of frequencies, resulting in an EQ of sorts. The effects can be imperceptible, subtle or obvious depending on the amp circuit, your cabinet and your ears.

• Members

every week

And yet, you seem to think a 100 watt bass amp is suitable for gigging - interesting...

OK, let's try another approach - ever get paid for any of those gigs??? - after all, *most* of us don't count playing in someone's barn or basement a "gig"... I gig quite a bit, and don't know very many players that gig "every week" - sounds like BS...

- georgestrings

• Members

And yet, you seem to think a 100 watt bass amp is suitable for gigging - interesting...

OK, let's try another approach - ever get paid for any of those gigs??? - after all, *most* of us don't count playing in someone's barn or basement a "gig"... I gig quite a bit, and don't know very many players that gig "every week" - sounds like BS...

- georgestrings

that depends alot.... i've played a gig for around 200 people, closed space, but still a reasonably large space, with my Fender Rumble 100 and i didnt even have to turn it up all the way, and the bass definitly didn't get drowned...

... but if i was playing with a metal/rock band with a loud drummer and tube guitar amps, it would definitly now be enough...

• Members

Man, this thread is NOT helping my M6 gas. I'm gonna be so mad if it's sold before this guy I'm talking with ponies up the money for my 322. :mad:

Thunderbroom's band does now. Just one example of many.

And how much did it cost them?

And not to be argumentative, but some people just like having their own gear. It's really not much more complicated than that.

• Moderators

I've been gigging regularly since the late nineties. There have been exactly two gigs where it would have been nice for me to have more than a 100 watt amp with an efficient cabinet. This is because that setup gets me loud enough to cover a live drummer and in every gig I've played (other than two), if the drummer goes through the PA, so do I.

• Moderators

thanks for that.....

so I assume I may be able to find tubes that are grittier or rounder or any number of variations.... I would assume it will vary by what device they're being used in as well?

Yes, but in most cases, the effects are going to be quite subtle.

• Members

I've been gigging regularly since the late nineties. There have been exactly two gigs where it would have been nice for me to have more than a 100 watt amp with an efficient cabinet. This is because that setup gets me loud enough to cover a live drummer and in every gig I've played (other than two), if the drummer goes through the PA, so do I.

I suppose that depends on the amp, cab, type of music, and how loud the drummer is - in the rock bands I've played in, a 100 watt amp wouldn't cut it in rehearsal, let alone a gig...

- georgestrings

• Members

- georgestrings

I don't seem to think, I know for a fact. apparently you have never played a large enough show that requires sound reinforcement or do you even know what sound reinforcement is:IDK

you are as just as big of a know it all jerk as as you are at archery talk:facepalm:

Edit: and OH BTW I would have replied sooner but I had a show to play last night and I don't play unless they pay:wave:

• Members
I don't seem to think I know for a fact. apparently you have never played a large enough show that requires sound reinforcement or do you even know what sound reinforcement is:IDK

you are as just as big of a know it all jerk as as you are at archery talk:facepalm:

Edit: and OH BTW I would have replied sooner but I had a show to play last night:wave:

:snax:

Archived