Mesa Boogie M9 Carbine announced!!!

In Absentia

• Members

You're right...they need 1200.
:D

Werd! :thu:

My guitards were freaking out again last night about my tone.

Was absolutely sick now that I've got it a little better dialed in.

Also, I disagree about not "needing" 900W.

Over the years I've tried to drive bigger cabs with lower wattage amps, 300-500 and at times 600. It's not the same. Having that headroom and extra oomph available through a big cab is a totally different ballgame, and I'm totally down with it!

My Berg sounded good with gusts of great with the Aggy, but sounds {censored}ing spectacular with the Titan!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Werd!
:thu:

My guitards were freaking out again last night about my tone.

Was absolutely sick now that I've got it a little better dialed in.

Also, I disagree about not "needing" 900W.

Over the years I've tried to drive bigger cabs with lower wattage amps, 300-500 and at times 600. It's not the same. Having that headroom and extra oomph available through a big cab is a totally different ballgame, and I'm totally down with it!

My Berg sounded good with gusts of great with the Aggy, but sounds {censored}ing
spectacular
with the Titan!

How long did it take for your Titan to come in. I picked up the 4x12 with mine and I'm hoping it slays. Hell, I don't even have a band right now. This {censored}er is going in my apartment to take care of my upstairs neighbors until I get a band.

• Members

On the subject of watts, I play in a couple of loud bands, and do so with a 550 watt amp - I rarely, if ever see "2" on my master volume... I'm confident that I could just as easily get by with 300 "honest" watts - given the cab/cabs I gig with...

- georgestrings

Absolutely. I've never pushed an amp real far. Like RSB said, it is more of a headroom thing for me. They just push more air and are a bit more clear to me. It's more of a tonal difference than a volume difference for me.

• Members

How long did it take for your Titan to come in. I picked up the 4x12 with mine and I'm hoping it slays. Hell, I don't even have a band right now. This {censored}er is going in my apartment to take care of my upstairs neighbors until I get a band.

I got it used and with fresh Tung-Sols installed, for a great deal.

It's basically a brand new unit. I have the original purchase docs from the Mesa Hollywood store where a forumite from another board bought it new.

Gonna call Mesa this weekend and have 'em swap the warranty info for me! :thu:

Not that I'll ever need it, but still... ;)

• Members

Absolutely. I've never pushed an amp real far. Like RSB said, it is more of a headroom thing for me. They just push more air and are a bit more clear to me. It's more of a tonal difference than a volume difference for me.

Having been forced to play provided backlines more than a few times over the years, I've pushed a few amps hard more times than I care for - and pretty much every time, I lose the strong low end I like so much in my typical bass tone... In my experience, having some headroom to spare definitely helps carry low end...

- georgestrings

• Members

I have yet to ever find a tube based front end that generate any tones that are useful to me that can't be found in a solid state design. I fear that the use of a tube in the front end is most often based on marketing than on sound design principles. In my experience with this particular amp, the voicing of the amp lends itself very well to a low gain front end and the best low end front ends I've ever used have all been solid state.

To be honest I've always preferred the FET channel over the tube channel on the m-2000....

The tube is great to add a little something different on top but 90% of the tone is the FET side.

sorry about the hijack but as long as we're here anyway, would there be any advantage to using a different 12ax7 (or two) ?

• Members

Having been forced to play provided backlines more than a few times over the years, I've pushed a few amps hard more times than I care for - and pretty much every time, I lose the strong low end I like so much in my typical bass tone... In my experience, having some headroom to spare definitely helps carry low end...

- georgestrings

Nailed it.

There's always a trade off when you max out an amp. Low end oomph and balls are usually the first to go.

• Members

I love America. Why consume more energy than needed? It's hypocritical to bash Al Gore and then find the most obnoxiously powered amp possible.
:p

Al Gore's umpteen homes and various private jets don't outweigh an amp that draws like an additional 0.0011534 volts or something... ;)

• Members

With a proper monitoring system, the answer of "Amp not required" is more than possible.

I play every Sunday with an "amp not required" situation and do just fine.

Sure I'd love to have my Mesa/Berg rig backin' me up, but it isn't necessary.

Takes a lotta fun out of it tho. :) Truth be told.

• Moderators
"Amp not required" is fine, but not necessarily preferred in all situations. But you know that better than me, so I'm preaching to the converted
:D

My original post said "no one needs 900 watts." The most important word in that phrase is "needs." My MPulse 600 has a slave out. If I need more, it's easy enough to hook up a power amp to a separate cab. I would more than likely never find myself in that situation. I don't play in bands with heavy handed drummers or guitarists with dimed 100 watt tube amps and 412 cabs. I value my hearing too much.

• Members

If you want the headroom(i.e.tone) that you get with an amp over 400W, that's one thing. If you need over 400W to get heard, well, your groups' stage volume is just too loud, IMNSFHO. :)

The M9 looks cool, but frankly, the M6 looks coolER to me. I can't fathom even wanting 900W to get my tone, and the EQ on the M6 looks much more appealing to me. That said, I have played thru the M6, and it was a flat out turn on. :cool:

• Members

My original post said "no one needs 900 watts." The most important word in that phrase is "needs." My MPulse 600 has a slave out. If I need more, it's easy enough to hook up a power amp to a separate cab. I would more than likely never find myself in that situation. I don't play in bands with heavy handed drummers or guitarists with dimed 100 watt tube amps and 412 cabs. I value my hearing too much.

I'm with you. I wasn't being sarcastic with what I said. I agree with you. I've never been to a gig with decent PA support where my amp was "needed". I was glad I had my amp there, because I love the feeling of pushing air, but as you implied, it is more of a want than a need.

• Members

I'm with you. I wasn't being sarcastic with what I said. I agree with you. I've never been to a gig with decent PA support where my amp was "needed". I was glad I had my amp there, because I love the feeling of pushing air, but as you implied, it is more of a want than a need.

All preference.

Some people like high volume from a smaller box (like I used to) or lower relative "volume" from a bigger cab (this is where I am now).

I just detest the "breaking up" sound that a lot of people seem to enjoy, so it's no biggie to overcompensate. :)

• Members

I love America. Why consume more energy than needed? It's hypocritical to bash Al Gore and then find the most obnoxiously powered amp possible.
:p

What if I paid extra to "offset my carbon footprint" made larger by powering up that obnoxiously powered amp??? After all, I wouldn't want to be thought of as a hypocrite when compared to Al...

- georgestrings

Archived