Top 39 Annoying Things That Bands Do

poorboy

• Members

Club owners are all dickholes, all of them without exception. They are talentless and make a livign by selling alcohol to people thus earning bad karma. they are basically drug dealers, they have no appreciation for art, {censored} club owners!@ :mad:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can not believe thats actually on a Venues website.

If i was a regular band there I'd be highly offended. Not sure how he thinks he can get away with it.

btw the place looks like a {censored} hole. As for the raising funds for the drunk part!!! I dunno.

• Members
That's the only way to do it. Show up sober, set up quickly, perform well, and then get the hell off the stage for the next band. And then stick around and mingle, club owners notice that. If you load straight out the door and take off, it looks bad.

In Myth Lab, a lot of the time after our set, I'd look around for my drummer and he'd be gone, 15 minutes after we got off stage. The guitarist usually didn't hang long, either, so it would be my wife and I watching the other bands, talking to people, chatting up the other bands, handing out stickers, and everything else that went with it. That was lame, but at the same time, all the club owners knew me by name, and some still do.
:D
C7

You know, you'd probably make an awesome band manager. I know it's not the same as being IN a band, but every post I see you talking about promoting and working your ass off for the band your in makes me think you'd do great as a manager.

Probably much more a pain in the ass than you want to handle though. :D

• Members
Club owners are all dickholes, all of them without exception. They are talentless and make a livign by selling alcohol to people thus earning bad karma. they are basically drug dealers, they have no appreciation for art, {censored} club owners!@
:mad:

You would be too if you dealt with pretentious pricks all day, that accused you of being an asshole because you don't recognize their derivative, aimless music as "art".

As for being talentless because they sell alcohol, have you ever run a successful live music venue? Or any business? You think it's just that easy?

I dunno, I've met a couple of dickheads, but the reality is, if they didn't care about the "art" of music, they'd invest in 30 LCD TV's and open up as a sports bar, because that's a whole lot more profitable than a music club, promise you that.
C7

• Members

4. Tip the soundman; he's a stupid asshole, but controls the SUCK knob.

Nobody is throwing me extra cash to not sound {censored}ty when I'm playing.

If you've hired the soundguy then pay him fairly. If the club hires the soundguy then it's the club's responsibility to pay him fairly. I worked at a club doing sound and IMHO any soundguy who gives you less "Sucky" sound if you tip him probably isn't much of a soundguy at all and it probably won't make much of a difference.

edit. I will say buy him a drink or 2 though if you think he did a good job or if he usually does, I have done that.

• Members

Every gig we do, we're courteous, quick, efficient, and polite. I talk to the sound guy immediately to let him know all the instruments, how many vocalists, what the drummer's kit has, and ask him what he needs from us.

I tell every club owner that we want to #1 be professional, #2 not suck, and #3 impress everyone. So far, we've accomplished that.

We save the rock star misbehavior for the setlist and the audience. Before and after, it's all business and professionalism. We've already made our mental notes of do's and don'ts to differentiate ourselves from the douchebags and the n00bs. So far, so good. We have the venues asking us to come back, not the other way around.

+1 Wonderful advice and additude.

First and formost it is a business.

• Members

I dunno, I've met a couple of dickheads, but the reality is, if they didn't care about the "art" of music, they'd invest in 30 LCD TV's and open up as a sports bar, because that's a whole lot more profitable than a music club, promise you that.

C7

Truth. If I was going to run a bar for the purpose of making money, I'd never hire bands.

I'd do exactly as you described, but I would take it a step further. I'd set up a dancefloor area, put in $5k worth of sound and lighting and have a DJ every Friday and Saturday night. The band budget would go toward the extra security required for the crowd that attracts, but the house would make far more money.

There are a few bars around here that did just that, but then ended up bringing bands back to drive out the undesirable crowd only to bring back the DJ when the cash started falling off.

A good MC spinning Let Me Clear My Throat will always sell more drinks and get more people in the door than group of d-bags playing Sweet Home Alabama.

Too many bands half ass it and expect to be paid. The band I'm currently in is guilty of that to a point, but Z-x and I are trying like hell to change that.

• Members
farside.gif

Happened to be in a thread somewhere else so I brought it here.

TRUE STORY

A guy who runs sound in town likes to put a delay between the vocal mic and the monitors. If he gets a douchebag band on stage being arrogant assholes and breaking {censored} and berating the club, he slowly turns up the delay's repeat time, so the vocalist's voice bounces back at him later and later after his actual singing. Thoroughly screws up the whole band as the vocalist is now lagging behind the beat, and you watch as everyone else starts trying to compensate.

• Members
TRUE STORY

A guy who runs sound in town likes to put a delay between the vocal mic and the monitors. If he gets a douchebag band on stage being arrogant assholes and breaking {censored} and berating the club, he slowly turns up the delay's repeat time, so the vocalist's voice bounces back at him later and later after his actual singing. Thoroughly screws up the whole band as the vocalist is now lagging behind the beat, and you watch as everyone else starts trying to compensate.

LMAO :lol:

• Members

TRUE STORY

I've seen a similar thing with a harmonizer on full wet in the monitor buss, with about a 1/4 step, set to bypass. If the band are dicks, just engage for the high, sustained scream, then bypass again.

Bacon ensues.

Archived