Top 39 Annoying Things That Bands Do

poorboy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

40. Band starts at 9. Drummer sets up and sits at drums and is joined by guitar player. Bass and singer not up there. Drummer and guitar step down and bass walks up there. Singer starts talking with someone and bass player steps down. Drummer walks back up and singer steps down.....

At 9:20 three of the band members are ready to go but singer is smoking outside......

At 9:30 all are ready but someone starts talking with the guitar player...who steps down....

• Members

b) insist on standing next to the the soundperson all night and making stupid suggestions on how to improve the sound of their kids band to the soundperson all throughout their se

This happened to me once at a show I was doing sound for. What made it extra funny was the fact that the guy's 'kid' was in his 30's...

• Members

Some of that was pretty funny, but really whiny. As the owner of a club that hires bands, especially of the caliber described, you are gonna have to deal with that stuff. But I do get what he's saying if I put myself in his position.

That said, I have been a gigging musician for more years than I care to mention here, and I could put together a list of the Top 100 annoying things that club owners do that would shut that guy up pretty good.

• Members

Like it or not, Poorboy has some good points. Neither band nor club owners have a corner on the 'I'm a Walking D*ck' market.

+1... I've been at this for a long time, and am friends with a few venue owners as well - and can easily see both sides of this coin...

- georgestrings

• Members

I'll say the reverse of what I said in MY thread. These things are not the norm. Most bands do not behave this way, but a lot do. The fewer of these things WE do, the less like jerks the club owners will be. We should take this list and learn from it.

• Members

Every gig we do, we're courteous, quick, efficient, and polite. I talk to the sound guy immediately to let him know all the instruments, how many vocalists, what the drummer's kit has, and ask him what he needs from us.

I tell every club owner that we want to #1 be professional, #2 not suck, and #3 impress everyone. So far, we've accomplished that.

We save the rock star misbehavior for the setlist and the audience. Before and after, it's all business and professionalism. We've already made our mental notes of do's and don'ts to differentiate ourselves from the douchebags and the n00bs. So far, so good. We have the venues asking us to come back, not the other way around.

• Members

We save the rock star misbehavior for the setlist and the audience. Before and after, it's all business and professionalism. We've already made our mental notes of do's and don'ts to differentiate ourselves from the douchebags and the n00bs. So far, so good. We have the venues asking us to come back, not the other way around.

That's the only way to do it. Show up sober, set up quickly, perform well, and then get the hell off the stage for the next band. And then stick around and mingle, club owners notice that. If you load straight out the door and take off, it looks bad.
In Myth Lab, a lot of the time after our set, I'd look around for my drummer and he'd be gone, 15 minutes after we got off stage. The guitarist usually didn't hang long, either, so it would be my wife and I watching the other bands, talking to people, chatting up the other bands, handing out stickers, and everything else that went with it. That was lame, but at the same time, all the club owners knew me by name, and some still do.:D
C7

• Members

INCORRECT UNDERSTANDING: $200 is not gas money. $200 is we're partying all night on the East Side and getting privates at Roxy's for everyone in the band.

I would like to know what town I need to go to where $200 will be enough for 4+ people to "party all night", including lap dances at some place called Roxies.

Other than that, bang up list :thu:

• Members
I would like to know what town I need to go to where $200 will be enough for 4+ people to "party all night", including lap dances at some place called Roxies.

Other than that, bang up list
:thu:

$200 isn't enough to keep 4 bandmates up all night partying with a mirror in the back of the van, much less lap dances and alcohol.
C7

• Members

I thought it was a interesting list.
It boardered on Spinal Tap on some items.
I got a big laugh out of it myself.
I've seen alot of those things before.
(I like to think I'm not in one of THOSE bands.)
What I really found interesting was the reaction some people had.
It ranged from the intended amusement to unexpected outright rage.
I hardly think I was trolling. That wasn't the intent.
I just wanted to share what I found ,to be ,amusing.

Archived