The Inconvenient Debt

Thunderbroom

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why is this a problem now, but wasn't when we started bankrupting the nation to pay for a pointless war in Iraq?

Uh, it's been a problem the whole time we have been deficit spending and T-broom and I have been complaining the whole time while the right wingers attempted to justify it. Now the Democrats are doing the same thing, only bigger and better, so the Republicans will talk {censored} about it and the lefties will do their damnedest to defend it. Meanwhile, those of us who hate both sides equally will continue to get the screw.

• Members
Uh, it's been a problem the whole time we have been deficit spending and
T-broom and I have been complaining the whole time
while the right wingers attempted to justify it. Now the Democrats are doing the same thing, only bigger and better, so the Republicans will talk {censored} about it and the lefties will do their damnedest to defend it. Meanwhile, those of us who hate both sides equally will continue to get the screw.

• Members

Why is this a problem now, but wasn't when we started bankrupting the nation to pay for a pointless war in Iraq?

I don't remember ever claiming that I was anything BUT disappointed in the fiscal irresponsibility shown by the Bush administration. :confused: There are no fiscal conservatives left in government. Everybody wants to spend spend spend, and it's driving this country into the ground.

• Moderators

I don't remember ever claiming that I was anything BUT disappointed in the fiscal irresponsibility shown by the Bush administration.
:confused:
There are no fiscal conservatives left in government. Everybody wants to spend spend spend, and it's driving this country into the ground.

I wasn't referring to you guys so much as to the Republicans in Congress, who suddenly seem to have remembered that they belong to the party of fiscal responsibility. There was little sign of that when they were in control of both houses of Congress and the White House. Same with Fox News, who backed every move the Republicans made.

• Members

Hey, could be like our stupid government.. to stimulate the economy they decided it would be a good idea to give pensioners and single parents $2000 (or whatever it was)..

So they all put it in the bank..

None got spent, economy got no kick start, now we have a deficit..

Their plan this week? give low income earners a tax cut.. Uhh.. nice.. but they are already struggling, giving them a tax cut won't give them any discernible extra disposable income, it will give them more to get by (again, thats a good thing, but won't really have the desired effect..).

• Members

I wasn't referring to you guys so much as to the Republicans in Congress, who suddenly seem to have remembered that they belong to the party of fiscal responsibility. There was little sign of that when they were in control of both houses of Congress and the White House. Same with Fox News, who backed every move the Republicans made.

Yeah. The Republicans completely blew it in 200/2001. They had both houses of Congress and the Presidency, and what did they do? Spend spend spend. It was their chance to take the fiscal conservatism that they still had a LITTLE bit of during the Clinton years and do something with it. I was hoping for a balanced budget amendment or SOMETHING. But no; they completely lost their freaking minds and started spending money like water, and that was even before 9/11. And the Democrat-controlled Congress in the past few years has been just as bad. It's ridiculous all around.

• Members

Both parties are very good at pointing out faults and mistakes by the other party. Neither party is very good at actually leading and doing the right things. This time, we are focusing on the mistakes made by Republicans years ago. Next, we will focus on on the mistakes made in the last two years by Dems (who have controlled Congress) and the next two years (in which they will control both houses and the White House), which are more critical. Wasn't it Barney Frank who blamed Reps for "allowing Dems" to continue blindly praising Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac? "Why didn't they stop us" was one question he raised.

• Members

Bush supported the TARP as did many Republicans.

Actually, I was referring to the "bankrupting the nation to pay for a pointless war in Iraq?" line of bull{censored}... It's been pointed out many times in the past just how miniscule the costs of the war in Iraq are, when compared to overall spending - and that there were/are valid strategic reasons for invading Iraq...

- georgestrings

• Members

this is a sign of the times - our culture has shifted to consumerism so much so that the parents that were telling us to save, save, save have all passed on and its the kids who didn't get it writing our fiscal policies.

Believe it or not, my boomer parents were the worst about encouraging me to live like this...and they have borrowed money from my wife and I because we work hard to save at least 20% (401k and retirement not included). We're in our early 30s, never made huge money, but we can buy anything short of a house or luxury car out of cash. We can, because we won't.

I wished our government would recognize that there will be poor people that make bad decisions and we can only help them where we can, bit there are rich people that make bad decisions that we shouldnt help at all because they are supposed to know better (coughWALLSTREETcough).

I hate the idea of inflation and devaluation caused by poor monetary policy from Washington, but if we gotta live with these 'stimuli', Mrs Pbass had it right:

I just had an idea about the "bailout". The check should actually be one of those check-card type of things that you cannot save, only use at a business and it expires within 3 months or so. So, half the people would forget to even use it and it would be used to really boost the economy where people actually shop. The expiration would force the money to be used right away, hence an immediate boost instead of a wait & see thing.

Perhaps a small dose of common sense would serve us better than the blowhard bull{censored} we keep getting in our highest offices. Tbroom and others, I really want to vote Libertarian as it aligns with my beliefs, but why do they keep campaigning these wackjobs? Is there no one normal that has the ambition to vie for the Presidency?

• Members

During the midst of a major economic downturn that's only looking to get worse, let's attempt to balance the budget!

This has never been done before, and it'll turn out grand!

In all seriousness, I appreciate the sentiment of a balanced federal budget, but I'm curious on how we might go about implementing that right now, given the financial liabilities on our books.

• Members

During the midst of a major economic downturn that's only looking to get worse, let's attempt to balance the budget!

This has
never
been done before, and it'll turn out grand!

In all seriousness, I appreciate the sentiment of a balanced federal budget, but I'm curious on how we might go about implementing that right now, given the financial liabilities on our books.

Simple, really. Kill off all the people on the government dole.

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2007/4/15/215126.shtml?s=tn

Problem solved...next?

Archived